1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BOXING] Taylor vs Pavlik II

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Harrisment, Feb 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I had completely forgotten this fight was going on this weekend until yesterday. I am hoping to see another repeat performance from Pavlik, minus getting rocked a couple times early on.

Anybody know of a place showing this fight?

2. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

yes! been waiting for this fight for a long time. thanks for reminding me. im a big fan of taylor, but was really impressed with pavlik in their previous fight.

isnt this fight at 165?

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Yeah, this fight is at a heavier weight class and not for the title. I don't really understand why they did it like this, but shows you what I know about boxing. I am rooting for Taylor just because I have spent a lot of my recent life living as a student in Arkansas. Taylor did have Pavlik on the ropes in the 2nd round of that last match, so I believe he has a shot in this one as well.

Here's a funny little anecdotal story about JT. When I was in undergrad, I went to the University of Central Arkansas, which is about 25 miles down the interstate from Little Rock, which is JT's home town. Every spring, a fraternity at my school put on a two night event very similar to a Toughman contest. Well, my first year Jermain Taylor was well known in Arkansas, but still way off of the map nationally...so he shows up at the event and is just chilling out in the crowd. They announced him and he got a golf clap. The next year, he is getting ready for his fight with Hopkins, they are raffling a pair of autographed boxing glove, he comes and they announce him while he's walking around in the ring...he gets a huge ovation, all of the frat guys are hanging off his nuts, etc... Well, by the time he's the champ, my last year at the school, he sends his agent or some representative to the event to thank everyone for their support. Shows you how success can change the life of a celebrity.

4. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Cant wait to see this fight on sopcast

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think Taylor can make weight at 160 anymore.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The first fight was pretty good. I expect the ghost to repeat. I wish it was on HBO.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Anyone watch the fight? It was a good fight, but I really thought it should have been a draw.

8. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

I'll disclose my complete man-love for Pavilk right off the bat. That said, there's no way this was a draw. Taylor was much better prepared for this fight than the last fight and he kept his back off the ropes for once, so he gets + points there. But Pavlik inflicted more damage and showed much stronger ring generalship than Taylor for much of the fight. Taylor definitely had flashes, but I'm going with The Ghost all the way, baby!

Good fight.