1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacramento Bee: Houston a dark horse for Artest trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao#1, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No way we give up Scola, and I doubt we give up Brooks.

If you could snare expiring contracts from a third team and give up draft picks AND have Artest agree to his contract extension, then fine, okey-dokey, MAYBE.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Well I do know hoops and artest is 2times the player artest is both offensively and defensively. The rox will have his bird rights and he's 28 yrs old. Who else can pay him 9m per which is what he's worth. He's a difference maker more than shane and if the holdup is shane, then u and the rox don't know what they're looking at.

3. blender

blender Member

If you want a player of Artest's calibre, you're going to have to give up some talent. Snyder, James, Novak or any other end-of-the-bench player will not do, despite our hopes.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trading AB would kind of leave us up the creek without a backup PG.

But if it's just him and expiring deals, I'd do it and try and pry away some other PG. It's friggin Ron Artest, you know.

I wouldn't, however, include another asset like Scola or Landry. Frankly, I am not sure the Kings can get more than expiring contracts and a propsect for Artest-- given his expiring status and mental status.

If they would rather have Landry, I'd do that, too. But I wouldn't do both Landry and Brooks.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Um, I like Artest, but not for Scola.

6. drich

drich Member

around the league artest is not getting a lot of trade value plus they want brooks bad enough and we are giving them expiring conracts with the man you were thinking about drafting with the number 10 pick so you get the guy you want and you know you can't get anything for artest at the end of the year. now saying this it will be a last minute trade because sac town would try and get more but doubt they will considering it is artest we are talking about. no one wants to give up there team for him but it is worth giving up brooks for but in doing that i would also go and try and give head for duhon or delonte west. need someone to handle the ball that is why i say that.

lineup of tmac @ pg, battier, artest, scola, yao would be nice to watch in a half court offense. no fast breaks :rolleyes:

7. bjshot

bjshot Member

Shane is muxh more consistent than Ron. Thus Shane's value is higher than Ron. At least Rockets don't have enough motivation to pull this trigger. Gave them expired contracts (Bonzi/Snyder) plus fillers (SF or head) and picks. BOnzi played very well now. But he is very risky too. Bonzi can't get long contract.

8. bjshot

bjshot Member

Bonzi will be gone next year. Ron can play PF.

9. awo86

awo86 Rookie

we'll do it for mike james, brookes, and steve francis.
    Do IT!!!!
    I'm willing to give up brookes for artest, because I don't see brookes being a starting PG in this league with his sie and defensive deficiencies.
    But yeah, not way should we give up scola.

10. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Shane is also not a risk to walk or demand a big extension at the end of the year. Shane is also not a nutcase. Shane is also . . . already here, familiar with the players, system, etc.

the two are mostly redundant. the physical advantages that ron has are negated by his inconsistency and issues with dedication.

don't we already complain about motivation and dedication with our other superstar swingman? do we want two of these guys?

11. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Im not arguing that Artest is more talented then Battier, but that doesnt mean the Rox make this trade. You dont trade one of your core players for a guy who has said he is opting out of his deal and has named a couple places he wants to play, Houston not being one of them.

Also, where are you getting the idea that Artest will only get 9 million next year. He has already said his Agent thinks he should command 14-15 million on the open market. I doubt he gets that much, but if Luol Deng and Ben Gordon are turning down 5 year, 50 million dollar deals then Artest should at least be able to get that much. Emeka Okafor turned down 12 million a year and he hasnt done anything major in the NBA.

Secondly, even if it was 9 million, what makes you think the Rox are willing to spend that on Artest given their financial situation. And your question of who else will have 9 million to pay Artest makes no sense. The 76ers and Grizz will be under the cap. Miami can easily get under the cap. Plus there are about 20 other teams not paying the tax this year (unlike Houston) that could fit Artest in financially better then the Rockets.

12. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

this is interesting. can you see him guarding boozer/td/dirk/amare?

he's a beast of a 3 man, but i think if you put him on those guys, you are not taking advantage of one of his best assets, his perimeter d. he would also be expected to box those guys out and rebound, and he's not all that tall.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I would do Hayes, Francis, Snyder and Brooks for Artest in a heartbeat.

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Hey, at least the guy's got a sense of humor. :p

But like another poster said, sub in Bonzi for Scola in that deal, and it's definitely something you think about. How much would we use Bonzi if we had Artest, anyway?

15. rocket3forlife2

untouchable

yao
    scola
    landry

who i would give up for artest is:

snyder
    james
    brooks
    francis
    or a number 1 pick

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Sometimes I wonder if people on this board either ever played ball or even watch players other than rox. Well I've done both and if you tell me I can have artest and all I have to give up is shanes, you do it.

Its not even a question of talent, artest is just a better player on both ends of the floor. He is a difference maker and is the tough guy people say this team needs. Shane is a ok player, but he's not artest. I don't think artest is going to a losing team like memphis and miami plus the rox can sign and trade him if they don't take the contract. Before the deal is made, the rox can give him an extension and be assured of his services.

If they guy is saying he doesn't want to play on a mediocre Kings team, why go to those losing teams? I mean c'mon man, 30 out 30 gms make that move. I'm listening, but tell me anything that Battier is better at than Artest.

17. poprocks

poprocks Member

Umm Battier is better than Artest in not making a scene.

18. landryfans

landryfans Member

Ron are looking for big money 10 million +

performance/price wise Shane is better, and low risk.

We need a backup pg more than anything else.

19. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Actually we need a starting pg. We already have a legitimate backup in Rafer. Of course, if they do trade for Artest, perhaps they could move shane for a good pg..........

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Scola and Battier are both untouchable in that type of deal; their contracts go on for a few more years and are good deals. Artest will opt out after this year, so Sacramento can go touch itself hoping that this deal will happen. In the meantime, we'll leave Brooks, Snyder, Francis on the table for them to settle on if Denver won't give them Kleiza.