1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future of Steve Novak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 9, 2008.

?

What will Novak Become??

1. Peja lite (possible starter or key bench player)

35 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Bullard Plus (8th - 9th man off the bench)

109 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Matt Bullard, II (on roster, 10th to 12th man on bench)

91 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Matt Bullard lite (on team, but inactive with mysterious injury)

25 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I guess that what you're saying is he could play more if on defense, the Rockets have to only guard four players. I would say that seems pretty logical.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Care to retract those comparisons. It makes you lose credibility and you had so much. 1/10 of Peja and 1/4 of Kapono. That's pretty steep. Yes he is not Peja or even Peja lite but it appears he is one of the best shooters in the league and it is not just a set shot. As for Kapono it's like comparing apples and oranges unless you are only comparing shooting and if that is the case the early returns favor Novak.

3. awo86

awo86 Rookie

enough about respect and credibility.
    reason y novak will not see useful minutes- josh childress light up the rockets with 18 b/c of novak.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I mentioned Peja and Kapono because prior posters in this thread compared Novak to them. The fractions weren't meant to be exact but to illustrate that Peja and Kapono are NBA players while Novak is little more than a circus performer. While I want him to succeed really bad and get excited every time he puts up a shot, Novak won't become a rotation player in the NBA, IMO. He's on the fast track to permanent scrubdom. Hours in the gym have given him a great shooting stroke that seems to finally be working during actual games. But his instincts in nearly every facet of the game are very poor. The rebounding and defense issues with him are just symptoms of this bigger problem.

BTW, I didn't watch the 4th quarter last night. If Novak looked snappier than normal on both ends, good.

5. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

Novak is less than Bullard because he has no defence and i don't know about him being more athletic or more of a pure shooter than Bullard. I voted Bullard 2, he will never be in first 8 man rotation unless he's going to (get some muscles ;) ) play D.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Novak gets to the Bullard level in the next year or so, I'd be real happy. At his best, Bull was a more significant contributor than Novak has been so far.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping Novak might improve gradually in the weaknesses in his game you and others so rightly point out. Improve enough that he can become the 9th or 10th guy off the bench for instant offense, eventually, if we don't toss him into a deal, which is very possible, IMO. I've been getting such a kick out of the improvement of our young guys. Much of it comes from getting playing time on the court. I was wondering if Novak would ever get over his jitters coming in to play and it appears that he is. Now he needs to improve all the other aspects of his game besides his shooting skills. Will he? Probably not enough to stick, but maybe we'll get lucky.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

IMO, he's just about the best shooter in the league, but his defense is beyond hideous. Until that changes, he'll never get nor deserve regular time.

9. GAY4WHO???

GAY4WHO??? Member

whatever we do...we cant let him end up with the suns...that would hurt :mad:

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

you can't compare Novak to Peja. you can't even compare him to Kapono or Korver. Novak can't do half the things those 3 can do. He's very unathletic and will always be a fringe nba player.