1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq's suspension set

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Jan 14, 2002.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Shaq has been suspended 5 games and fined $15,000. Oakley is got fined $10,000 and suspended 3 games. I missed what Miller got.

2. Matador

Matador Member

Actually it is 3 games.

O'Neal suspended three games without pay for fight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Shaquille O'Neal of the Los Angeles Lakers was suspended for three games without pay and fined $15,000 by the NBA on Monday for throwing a punch at Brad Miller of the Chicago Bulls.

Charles Oakley of the Bulls was suspended for two games and fined $10,000, and Miller got one game and $7,500 for the fight, which occurred with 2:44 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Bulls' 106-104 overtime victory Saturday.

Miller and Oakley were both charged with flagrant fouls, which carry an automatic one-game suspension. Oakley's foul gave him six flagrant-foul points for the season, one over the allowable total, resulting in an additional one-game suspension.

The penalties were announced by Stu Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president for basketball operations.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0114/1311309.html

3. Matador

Matador Member

Miller got fined and suspended for getting punched in the back of the head. :p

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You're right. The radio is still saying Shaq suspended for 5 games and Oakley 3, but Shaq got 3 games, Oakley 2 games and Miller one game.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ridiculous. Shaq should've received no less than 10 games.

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

bull**** , 10 games at least . If it was Samaki Walker you bet your ass it would have been 10 games .

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

MoesT and RM95, please give a more detailed explanation as to why y'all feel this way. I'm not saying that I disagree with y'all, but RM95, you give no criteria and use the word "should". MoesT, why do you think Samaki would get 10 games? Remember when Camby chased after some white center (I forgot who) and swung and hit Van Gundy (who stepped in)? He got 5 games and the Knicks were saying the NBA was being harsh bc it was Camby.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm completely serious. He could've killed Miller with that punch, and was trying to by choking him with his jersey.

Camby got 5, and at least he had blood to show for his snap...Shaq's just a huge p***y.

And to think I was starting to like him.

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

It was Danny Ferry.

11. Major

Major Member

This is ludicrous. Camby didn't even make contact with the guy. Shaq got on top of Miller and got into a melee that took several players to break up.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The league probably took into account the fact that Shaq was getting hammered really hard throughout the game, not just that one incident. I still believe that he should've gotten 5 games. If it'd been a player on the Rocket's team, it'd been 5 games for sure. The superstars do get preferential treatment though.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with them and will give it my best explanation. Kenyon Martin is a much better player than Samaki Walker. Additionally, as last year's ROY and on a promising NY area team, he is a well-known basketball player as well. Yet, when he intentionally fouls T-Mac in what looks to be a very hard foul, but nothing near the type of swing Shaq tried to unload, he recived (corrected) 2 games suspension. Shaq takes a swing that could have ended Miller's career and recieves only one extra game.

Plain and simple: It's a farce. It's a disgrace to the Bulls, Miller and the rest of the league.

I like tough hard basketball too (although not as much as I prefer run and gun), but when did fistfights become okay again? Didn't Kermit Washington get kicked out of the league for doing the exact same thing (only landing the punch - is it really that different)?

#13 JayZ750, Jan 14, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2002
  14. harumph

harumph Member

This is PROOF that the "fix" is on for LA. An absolutely piss-weak punishment. He should've been suspended for at least 5 games/Camby.

Camby didn't bring the game "into disrepute" (an Aussie Rules penalty for when a player causes **** to hit the fan, and they can't throw anything bigger at them. Normally results from a brawl or ref handling, with a nasty suspension + fine) and cause an all-in fight. He didn't try to choke someone (spreewell :) level suspension anyone???).

THe fact that Shaq tried to do serious damage should get him suspended for longer (as Stu Jackson said as justification for the Camby suspension). Only the fact that Shaq punches like a girl saved Miller from the spinal unit/intensive care/morgue and shaq from courts and mega suspension.

An different perspective - MoT got suspended for 2 more games than "swing-that-arm-shaq" for puffing on a joint!

15. fly75

fly75 Member

Martin was suspended 1 game for the Malone incident, and 2 games for McGrady.

McGrady got a free pass after being ejected for headbutting Martin.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was shocked when I heard Shaq Fool's suspension was only 3 games. That's silly. :mad:

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was way off then?? Nonetheless, it still works. What KMart did wasnt even in the vicinity of what Shaq did, but Shaq only gets 1 more game.

18. napster

napster Member

There's a difference between attempted murder and murder.

3 games is a bit light but not extreme..Chris Childs/Kobe Bryant anyone? Just because he's bigger than everybody else doesn't mean that he should be suspended longer for whiffing.

Now if it was 5 games + some boxing lessons I might have to agree.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

Attempted Murder?? What is that? They don't give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry!

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq did more than whiff. In addition to that punch that could have killed Miller, he got on top of the guy and tried to do some serious damage to him. There was some serious malicious intent going on there.