1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac is a defensive liability

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Feb 1, 2008.

1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

All of T-Mac's 3 point shots were catch and shoot and he was open. I think if he shoots more of those kind of threes than the yo-yo end the quarter ones, his percentage will rise and the offense will get that much better.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

And Chuck Hayes is an offensive liability. The same is true for Battier and Alston.

I agree that McGrady chooses when he wants to play defense. He only shows glimpses of his one-on-one defensive abilities and is better at pointing out who other people should guard than covering his own man.

This is also true for many other offensive-minded players. Nash comes to mind off the top of my head. That is why we have a player like Battier and Nash has a guy like Bell to compensate for this weakness. McGrady rarely guards the most dangerous perimeter player on the opposing team and when he does it is in short spurts.

Overall, McGrady's defensive weaknesses are about equal to Battier's offensive limitations. They make a good duo. McGrady gets Battier open shots while Battier takes makes defense easier for McGrady.

3. littlefish_220

I agree with most of what you said above. But I think it is fair that fans expect more out of Tmac than Battier, much much more.

I will give Tmac some time since he is not fully healthy now. But I do expect much more out of him on the defensive end, especially when we have additional weapons in Scola and Landry this season and don't need him to dominate on offensive end.

Nash is weak on defense, and for me that is part of reasons Sun is not a championship team. However, I do think Nash's contribution on offense these days is greater than that of Tmac, not to mention Tmac has higher talent on defensive end.

4. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Member

i smell a hater...

5. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

And Yao isn't wonder why gets taken out of defense at the end of games?

6. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Yao's is more of a lack of quickness and movement physically, IMO t-mac can be at least a pretty good defender but he doesn't try hard enough.

7. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Mac's been an defensive liability for the past couple seasons now. He was never a consistently good defender, but this year has been especially atrocious. Sometimes I wonder if the reason we don't cut Novak is so that Tmac wouldn't have to deal with the ego damage of being our worst defensive player.

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dead on. It's like everything else with Tracy, he has all the abilitty but not the commitment. That being said we still got a win and hopefully he can correct his mistakes.

9. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

In a single play, last stand type situation T-mac is a fine defender.

10. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Believe me, I have tried to get some type of penalty system to try and polish up the board a little, but its a work in progress.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=137918

I just don't get it at times. I understand people providing constructive criticism and proposing solutions to improve a problem, but creating a thread about how you hate a player just because he had a bad game is becoming an annoying norm here.

T-Mac isn't superman! He will have off nights, and so far this season, that is also becoming a norm, but you have to credit the guy to helping the team find other ways to win. How can you claim that he played no D, when I saw him get 3 steals? Did he get caught in screens? Yes. But please realize that his 9 assists was a contribution to the win.

Same with Yao. Did he have an off night? Yes. But he protected the paint very, very well tonight. The Pacers just went crazy in the fourth and hit 7/7 FGs after missing their first 3. It happens. We need to fix this, but we pulled out a gutsy win. Something that couldn't be said just 3 weeks ago.

People need to be a bit more optimistic at times. You can blow out every team, every game. Even JVG agreed with that!

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Oops. Yeah thats a trivial by-product of my fast typing-but I'm not trying to make an excuse for that though. I accept my wrongs, and all I can do is be more cognizant of them from now on :)

Well, you can believe what you want, I've gone through this plenty of times, so I don't really care what you or anyone else think of me. As I've said before, I-and only myself-know what I truly am deep in my heart. And one thing I know I AM NOT is a hater. Being a minority, I sincerely hate bigotry and prejudice, so I would simply undermine my own essence by advocating "hating." (or "hatin' ") And imao, if you would notice, I always speak of TOFs and YOFs as one entity-thats because they're both the same to me-haters and typically band-wagon fans without a life. And thats not for political correctness too.
    I can play the same game too, and call you a TOH, or a YOF, or whaterver. But you know what? That will only fuel the enfernal hell that is the pit battle between these haters. Now Tell me that advocating a unified support for the TEAM, instead of bickering and making threads bashing a player (most of the time for no apparent reason), is wrong.
    Btw, yes, I am a long-time Tmac fan, but I've also been frustrated by him, and as such, I will not go out of my way to criticize (but not bash ad-hominem like the true haters) his manners or his game. Same with Yao. He's actually one of my idols too, imao. So, all in all, if this does not convince you otherwise, if not, well......then I still don't care what you think of me
    :cool:

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Now we are starting BS negative threads after a win????

Some of you people are f-ing ridiculous

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe with threads like this, we'll overlook the foster-ming matchup. :rolleyes:

14. T-Mad

T-Mad Member

There is something on this unfortunate man~

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is it mental or physical with McGrady? He's got a 32+ year old body after taking into account general wear and tear of 11 NBA seasons and all the injuries, and at his size it can be tough chasing smaller players around screens. He has a great combination of length and offensive skills that allows him to do some pretty amazing things at time. I think we take that and maybe overestimate what he's really capable of physically.

I don't want to completely excuse it; he does coast through defensive possessions too often . But I think we should temper our expectations a bit.

16. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Obviously most are not overlooking Yao's underwhelming performance, but Tmac's D is atrocious. Nothing new today for me, as I've noticed for quite some time. But from your statement, your trying to more to divert attention from Tmac's non-existent D to Yao's underwhelming performance. Quite ironic, since Yao tries harder far more often then Tmac. Your often very critical of Yao, but you often give excuses for Tmac when everyone and their grandmother that Tmac has been what's holding us back not Yao.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, Tmac had 3 steals tonight.

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

The hypocrisy.

19. vince123

vince123 Member

hahahaha i've never seen so much hate for a star player like this before. the guy need better fan than that.trade him to la lakers along with novak for odom and ariza.there you go i solve the problem the t-mac problem.both are winners,t-mac wins ,the fans win.

20. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

when tracy and yao stand on the floor the same time, rockets' defense sucks.