1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis Commercial Appeal] Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2008.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow. Keeping Odom, and waiting on Bynums' return? They could be a contendah.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

why are people so shocked?

almost every year an allstar gets traded for ending contracts near the deadline.

what did the warriors give up for davis? what about the knicks for marbury? the celtics for KG and allen? the bobcats for richardson...nuggz for AI...pistons for sheed...nets for carter...

and those were just in recent history.
    ------------------

what can the rockets do to compete in the west? :(

3. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

2 big slow lugs,lumbering up the court in game who's rules favor the perimeter players or 2 big dudes with one basketball with 8 seconds to bring the ball up to the front court and another 24 seconds to shoot.

This isn't the 80's and 90's the game is much faster and 2 post players don't work together in this era. One of them is going to have to play second fiddle and really i think one of them is going to have to come off the bench because both bynum and gasol are # 5 men. Which one will play 4

4. youyou2007

youyou2007 Member

this is nightmare.... over over over for next 3 years.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Every time I think of that, I get angry with the Rockets organization and Adelman. Our starting lineup is an outrage. If it takes moving McGrady's 20 million a year salary to get a decent supporting cast around Yao, then just do it. I feel cheated as a fan. Why raise all these expectations and have one of the least talented supporting casts in the league. I was watching Dallas, Boston, Suns, and Spurs last night; they run waves of talent on and off the court. It is ridiculous how many talented players they have. We send out Alston, Hayes, and Battier. That really ticks me off.

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Give Aaron Brooks complete control of the team.

7. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Correct,You can't play them together, the 4 spot is to mobile these days but I see nothing for us to fear because they still can't handle Yao,they will have to take turns getting their whooping. Brown was a better defender than gasol all they did was trade defense for offense,Yao will just have to work harder on defense because gasol can't guard Yao one one one and phil doesn't play gimmick don nelson front defense.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Battier for Gay will continue to haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Yeah yeah we've beaten it w/ a stick already ad nauseum. Still doesn't change the truth and reality though...

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't even play him. Just give him the same position Pat Riley has with the Heat.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Still doesn't change the fact that we weren't going to take Gay.

Why doesn't anyone understand this?

It might have haunted us even more had we kept the pick and not taken Gay.

11. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

Wow, Pau just got traded for his BROTHER Marc!! haha...how weird is that?!?!?

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Well overlooking one mistake just because it would have been substituted with another still doesn't make the initial mistake okay :p :D

13. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

It's time ....

to watch the Lakers - Celtics finals.

14. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

you just named every trade in the past 10 years

15. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Let's see. Take two legit superstars and surround them with the least serviceable NBA players you can. That's the Rockets way!

16. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Lets hope Kobe hates spaniards

17. PktRockets

PktRockets Member

Wow, I can't believe Grizz did that trade. They basically gave up Gasol for a bag of chips. A first pick failure in Kwame Brown, and a unproven rookie. As well, the picks are most likely in the 20s. Worst of all, this boosts Lakers to being serious contenders for the next little bit.

18. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

They are for sure going to be scary... Bynum will have to shake the rust off but damn... I don't want to see the lakers if I'm in the west.

19. All Souled Out

Memphis couldn't have gotten Farmar instead of Critterton? Critterton's got a lot of potential, but Farmar's already good (and still improving). Why do they even need another point, when Conley is going to take the majority of the minutes?

I can't believe Memphis couldn't get Odom in the deal. They got ripped off.

20. apocclass

apocclass Member

lol it doesnt matter if gasol comes off the bench. that just means hes an all-star going against reserves. this is a win for the lakers ANY WAY you try to spin it.

this is exactly the kind of BS people tried to talk about the celtics, trying to come up with any scenario where they just wouldnt be a good team. its not happening man....the lakers had the best record in the west even before this trade, so how can bringing an all-star off the bench hurt in any way ?