1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A Crime was just committed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

My letter:

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Those Refs just straight up SUCKED!!!!:mad:

I'd like to speak to your manager!:mad:

3. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

This is my two cents.....

Stevie was embarrassing the Jass-holes. Someone, the owner, malone, stockton or others bribed the refs to get Francis out of the game. And before anyone tells me that this is unlikely, let me ask you this. If the refs can scam the league and avoid paying taxes for downgrading the airplane tickets, who's to say they wouldn't take a bribe from plenty of the millionaires involved (or supporting) the Jass organization? That is more believable than believing that some punk-ass ego-maniac has been holding grudges against the Rockets all of these years.

I agree that if the league does not review and publicly atone for this sham of officiating, then they will lose yet another fan. Who wants to see the same 4 teams (chosen by David Stern, of course) dominate the league and is always in the playoff favorites?

I think the Fans (yes, us the ones that are suppose to important to the NBA) should go on strike. No attending the games, no watching on tv (especially do not order League Pass) or ordering any PPV playoff games. Then maybe we can take back some power that we have given to David Stern and the zebras that work for him!

Okay RANTING is over.......

No. Wait..... The JASS suck huge, dirty asses.

:mad:

FC

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is it just me, or does Steve often hop after passing when going into the lane. He hops, and his arms come up.

maybe i'm inventing this in my mind. but I'm definitely watching for this in the future.

Even still, aren't you supposed to make contact even if you intended an elbow.

5. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

You are right crispee, I have seen Steve do that on many occasions and for whatever reason the refs think that he is trying to hurt someone by doing that. I just dont think they like Steves personality, and therefore do not hesitate to give him t's.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I am about to be the most vilified person on this BBS...you can thank me later ZRB.

I don't really think that what happened last night was that bad. Sure, the calls, in our mind, were incorrect, but I can understand how the refs made both of the technical calls. On the first one, they had already awarded the timeout, I believe, then the ref saw Francis throw the ball off of the Utah player. While his intention should've been obvious, you can understand why the technical was called (at least I can).

Same thing for the second one. Crawford merely saw Francis wave his hand in the direction of Stockton...he did. Now, I don't think there was any malicious intent on the part of Stevie, but again, I can understand why Crawford called what he did.

crispee, I thought the throwing of a punch or elbow, whether it landed or not, was enough to land you an ejection, much less a technical foul. Whille we all know that's not what Franchise was doing, that's what Crawford saw. To imply (and I'm not talking directly to you crispee) that he has it in for the Rockets is ridiculous.

What most of us are forgetting is that we still should've won this game. We let way too many Utah offensive rebounds to happen, and we had yet another brain fart in the end. I won't say we wouldn't have had a better chance with Steve in there, obviously we would have. Regardless, we still let another victory slip through our fingers, with or without him.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Steve plants left and usually swings his left arm in an undercutting circular motion as he breaks right. He does it just about every game.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I meant, in practice. We all know most of the rules are different in practice. I can't recall anyone ever being thrown out without contact while the ball is in play, or without even Stockton's head moving back, swinging elbows after rebounds included (especially with no prior warning).

rm95, I'm even thinking about that play a lot like you. I could see how Crawford could think that was a swing. Still, I have never seen a call during play not involving noticeable contact, a sound, or at least a flop of the head or something.

#68 heypartner, Jan 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2002
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well if you're gonna go with the route that both techs could be justified then thats fine, but then what about a dirty elbow from stockton or a knee from malone. so we just let those slide? there is no case for defense of crawford because what he did was wrong. if he's gonna look at steve or the rockets that critical then he needs to be the same with the jazz.

all you want from a referee is an even game. if you throw steve out for that, throw stockton out for elbows in the lane. especially considering who we were playing that call looks even worse.

it is not ridiculous in the least bit to think that crawford had it in for the rockets. whether or not thats true i don't know but his actions sure showed alot. how do you throw out a team's best player on a career night on a play like that? do you think the same call would have been made against stockton or malone?absolutely not. if anything, like aldridge said, call an offensive foul and go the other way. crawford tried to be bigger than the game and that's were the nba needs to fix itself.

10. notty

notty Member

11. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Originally posted by Rocketman95
    Unless your name is Karl "Going Postal" Malone. :mad:

Technically (sorry) you're correct, but I don't think it's automatic, as in the case of a breakaway foul from behind. There's discretion on the part of the ref. How many times have you seen shoving matches under the basket where the players were separated, cooled off, and play resumed? If they're going at it, there's usually a double T but there doesn't have to be.

This "appearance of a punch" business is just there to protect the refs. When questioned, Crawford just tells them "it looked like he wanted to hit Stockton," and that'll be the end of the "inquiry."

I don't think the refs "have it in" for the Rockets, but over the years I have become certain that they have been told to protect Stockton and Malone. I think their spots in the Hall of Fame were decided upon 16 years ago and the league has done everything possible to make sure they make it. How else can Postal send two guys to the hospital in one year and not even get suspended until the media humiliates the league into acting?

As for emailing them, it'd be much more effective to call or write. Here's the contact information:

National Basketball Association
    645 Fifth Ave.
    New York, NY 10022
    Attn. Stu Jackson

Phone: (212) 407-8000

12. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

Anyone who has read my post reply to this thread knows how pi$$ed I am about Stevie's ejection. Everyone here at CC.Net is. But now I am looking for the proverbial "silver lining". Apparently no one views my "bribery" theory factual enough to comment. That's fine. Because now, I am looking at it this way:

Stevie's stat line is on par for his season average. No harm done. Yes we lost the game......that's good. Why you ask. Simple. The 2002 draft. I would love it if the Rox made it to one of the top three picks.

I am what you might call a "unconventional" thinker. In some of the past thread, people (including myself :) ) have called for tanking the season. I now understand why this is such a bad idea. Tanking does not promote a "winning attitude", which I think is invaluable. Now hear me out on this.... A player's job is to play. I know that we all have been conditioned (or prefer) to believe that a player's job is to win. In reality, I don't believe so. There has been numerous post about how some of (if not most) of the Rockets players are having trouble understanding and executing offensive plays. If this is true, then I think a good coach, (that is already in a big hole) would continue beating the offensive sets into the squad, no matter who was playing. Regardless of being on the IR, ejected or whatever. If you win the game, GREAT! But if you don't, fine too. At least you are still ingraining the plays into the players.

Now think of it this way. Rudy doesn't inspire losing, but because of this dismal season that started shortly after Mo had his freak injury, Rudy is already working on the 2002-2003 season. No he doesn't tell his guys to lose so we can get a better pick or that losing doesn't matter, he does the exact opposite. Pump up his team that winning is the only option, using whatever propaganda that is necessary. So when the Rox do lose, it fuels their fire more. But more so, the Rockets keep prodding towards next season all the while learning the sets that the coaching staff are trying to incorporate. Now we fast forward to the 2002-203 season....we pick up a good pick for trading purposes or draft someone to help at the 3 and 5 spots. Everyone that remains from this season has a full season of learning how to execute the Rockets offense....AND now everyone is healthy. Rudy didn't have to "overtly tank" the season and the everyone is more polished. So let's celebrate every Rockets loss THIS season and look forward to the future.

My apologies for this really long, long post. But, I felt kind of neglected that no one reponded to my conspiracy theory of bribery. That, and the fact the me and my bosses just got back from a "power" lunch and well, I am tanked now. The delusions of a drunken Rockets Fan.

;)

FC

P.S. - If no one response this post (+ or -, I appreciate both), then I will have to come back with something else. Don't make me go there.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Steve got called for that 2nd T cause he was staring at Crawford like a guilty kid. It was a crap call but Steve was looking for it.

If Crawford thought it was dirty, just call a foul. Nobody got hurt and the play wasn't even altered as a result of the "elbow."

But I'll remember not to hire Steve onto my international spy conspiracy team. He's not too subtle.

14. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

On the site JerkoftheWeek.com, I sent a letter to the webmaster saying Crawford should be the Jerk of the Week. Crawford's an idiot!

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Jeff,

Can you set up automatic email that we can send to the league office about this incident like you did for SOR. I'm getting so tired of the NBA front office and officials that I am thinking boycotting every game except for the rockets. I will love to fill up their mail box with hundreds of email from us voicing our opinion on the sorry officiating we've seen the last few years. I'm even starting to sympathize with Cuban (Well, I wouldn't go that far).

Maybe we can start a Save our NBA website where we can vent our fustrations about officiating and league policies.

16. Viper272

Viper272 Member

If they really wanted to make a call....at least wait till stockton reacted.....if Francis had touched is ear, Stockton would have found a way to fly across the floor and land about 20 ft away moaning in pain till the call was made and get up and shoot his freebies

17. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Okay, I am willing to make allowances for the first tech, but there was one thing about the second tech that proved to me that it was Crawford's attempt to fix the game: the pause. A good two or three seconds passed by between Steve raising his arm, and Joey calling the technical. I think Crawford was waiting for ANY opportunity to toss Steve. It took him a few seconds after Steve's harmless arm movement to realize that he could probably call that a technical, then he called it.

If he had made the call immediately after the event, then I would be a little bit more understanding (still a ridiculous call), but that pause proved to me that it was a deliberate effort to remove Steve from the game.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Ooh! Ooh! The NBA emailed me back! They said:

Thank you for contacting the National Basketball Association through NBA.com, the official web site of the NBA!

Your questions and comments are very important to us. Although we may not respond personally to every e-mail, we value your opinion and read every suggestion in order to improve the quality of service fans have come to expect from the NBA.

Thank you,
    NBA.com

This response was automatically generated as confirmation that NBA.com received your message.

Wowie!! :eek: :p Don't I feel extra-special today!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: