1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] ROCKETS SUMMARY: It's a wonderful life

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5476924.html

ROCKETS SUMMARY

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

It's a wonderful life

Rockets rookie Carl Landry's 14 minutes were the second most he played in a game, behind only the 20 minutes in the rout of the Timberwolves on Jan. 11.

But his playing time Monday was significant not only for the amount he played, but because it was the most he has played at forward with center Yao Ming, rather than at center as his backup.

"It's wonderful playing with Yao," Landry said. "They double-team him day in, day out. It makes my job easier. All I have to do is rebound, dive to the hoop and make easy layups. It makes everything easier for me.

"I definitely feel a lot more comfortable. It was great to play 10, 11 minutes straight and get in a groove."

Not as easy as it seems
    The Rockets' unusual schedule of playing the same team in consecutive games makes preparation easier, but that assumption could be a trap as much as assuming an easy game when facing the struggling SuperSonics.

After holding Sonics rookie Kevin Durant to 4-of-13 shooting, Rockets forward Shane Battier said he would have to study for tonight's rematch in Seattle as much as before Monday's win at Toyota Center.

"I try to prepare the same way every game when I play an opponent," Battier said. "All the scouting I do, I try to do it again. You have to fight the fact I just played these guys, I already know them.

"You have look at it fresh. You have to have some discipline."

James a no-go
    Rockets guard Mike James did not travel with the team to Seattle.

James and his wife, Angela, are expecting their fourth child.
    TONIGHT: ROCKETS at SEATTLE SUPERSONICS

• When/where: 9 p.m.; Key Arena, Seattle.

• TV/radio: FSNH; 610 AM and in Spanish on 850 AM.

• Probable starters:
    Rockets (22-19) Sonics (9-32)
    Player Ht. Avg. Pos. Player Ht. Avg.
    Chuck Hayes 6-6 3.2 F Nick Collison 6-10 9.5
    Shane Battier 6-8 8.3 F Jeff Green 6-9 9.0
    Yao Ming 7-6 22.3 C Kurt Thomas 6-9 6.8
    Bonzi Wells 6-5 10.0 G Kevin Durant 6-9 19.3
    Rafer Alston 6-2 11.6 G Earl Watson 6-1 8.4

• Rockets update: Their win Monday was their 10th in 12 games against Seattle. With Kevin Durant starting at shooting guard for Seattle, Bonzi Wells moves in as the starter at the two with Tracy McGrady working his way back into shape off the bench. Yao Ming has had consecutive 30-point games against the Sonics, dating to last season.

• Sonics update: Their loss at Toyota Center on Monday was their 11th in a row, the longest one-season losing streak in franchise history. They have played the most road games in the Western Conference and return home 5-13 in KeyArena.

2. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5477070.html

Wasted first-half opportunities weigh on Rockets' minds

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

SEATTLE — The realization hit throughout the Rockets' locker room like an anniversary that comes at the same time every year but sneaks up anyway.

The Rockets looked up and half the season was gone. Opportunities were wasted. Potential was unfulfilled, though apparent.

The season began with the traditional hope for a revival that would move the Rockets from a solid postseason team to one that can win a playoff round or contend in the stacked
    NBA Western Conference. The season reached the midpoint with the Rockets not among the playoff teams.

"Right after the Philly game, I was like, 'Man, it's practically 41 games already,' " forward Chuck Hayes said. "I remember the first day of training camp. It shows how time goes by. Every game, every practice, every film session we have to take advantage of. We're already in January and after Game 41.

"I think we're good. We could be better. We can improve. I don't think we took advantage of some opportunities we should have. Other times it wasn't looking good for us, we were able to show resilience and we were able to pull something out. We're good. We're right there. We're close not only to the playoff picture but getting our momentum, getting our rhythm."

Spinning their wheels
    If the Rockets reached the midway point of the season not quite sure what they are or could be, they seemed certain they were tired of waiting to find out.

"Obviously, you look at the teams ahead of you right now," center Yao Ming said. "They are not much better than us. Obviously, they played great this year. Now it's halfway. I think we wasted too much time. People talk about new system, new players, new teammates, new adjustments. But it took too long. We need to hurry up."

The Rockets seemed to have spent much of the first half waiting — waiting to adjust to Rick Adelman's system, waiting to settle on a rotation, waiting for Tracy McGrady to come back from the injuries to his left knee.

Now, they have the system down, the rotation has settled into place and McGrady, though limited, is back. But they have run out of time to wait, having spent their margin for error in the first-half missteps.

They begin the second half the way they ended the first half — playing the Seattle SuperSonics — in 10th place in the Western Conference, two games out of the final playoff spot. They and last season's first-round opponent, the Utah Jazz, have been supplanted by Portland's surprising run and the return to good health and strong play of New Orleans. None of the top eight teams appear likely to fade.

"I feel we're better," McGrady said of the teams in front of the Rockets. "Yeah. When we're on top of our game, we're healthy, yes we are better. But we got to go out there and prove it. Those teams ahead of us have been playing great basketball. It doesn't seem they're going to fall any time soon. We got our work cut out of us.

"We're going to have to go on a hell of a run. We're capable of doing it. As we take care of our business, we have to pull for some other teams to fall. And as we face those teams that are ahead of us, Utah and Portland, we have to be on our 'A' game and win those ballgames."

After facing the Sonics tonight, the Rockets finish the month against teams ahead of them — the Trail Blazers, Jazz and Golden State, with the latter two games at Toyota Center.

A glimmer of hope
    After consecutive disheartening home losses to the Hornets and 76ers, the Rockets beat San Antonio and the Sonics at home, hanging on down the stretch. They have won 10 of their past 15 and seven of their past 10.

"In the last 10, 15 games, we played the game like in another situation," Yao said. "We had a lot of people scoring in double figures, releasing pressure for me and T-Mac. T-Mac came off the bench and needs some time to get in the best shape. Even when he feels perfect, I think the rest of our players need to keep the confidence, keep aggressive like they played the last 10."

The Rockets' first-half struggles to 22-19 in Adelman's first season in Houston, though a surprise, are not unprecedented. In Rudy Tomjanovich's first full season as Rockets coach, the Rockets were 23-18 halfway through the season. In Jeff Van Gundy's first season pairing Yao and McGrady, the Rockets were 22-19 at this point. The previous season, Van Gundy's first, they were 24-17 halfway through the season.

Those teams had varying degrees of second-half success, from Tomjanovich's 1992-93 team going 32-9 in the second half to Van Gundy's first team going 21-20. (The first McGrady-Yao team went 29-12 in the second half.) Each made the playoffs.

But the West is deeper this season and the Rockets have wasted opportunities, going just 11-8 at home and losing to some of the league's worst teams, Miami, Memphis and Philadelphia (twice).

"It's been up and down, but we're a couple games above .500, which is better than being a couple games below," forward Shane Battier said. "We have our work cut out for us.

"It's always in the back of your mind when you look at the schedule and you tear up little squares like most of us do and you realize there's not many red (home games) and gray (road games) left. Every game is so much more important. Every game is important, but every game now is special. You can't come out and have an off day, especially in the Western Conference."

There's time to regroup
    If nothing else, the first half demonstrated that. The damage is not irreparable, but as the Rockets begin the second half, whether stunned by the point of the schedule or a look at the standings, they knew there is work to be done.

"It goes quick," guard Rafer Alston said. "I'm not too excited about where we're at right now. I thought we'd be a lot better than we are. But we're right there. We have a winning record. We have to build from that."

3. metalshred

metalshred Member

Hope we can make it to the playoffs this season, we are looking good. If we do make the playoffs but still fail at the first round, i think we need rebuild.

4. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Man reading that really gives you A LOT of hope for this season. When you take into account that we have the highest SOS and a new coach/system and Tmac being injured for so many games it really makes you believe that we can turn this season around. I know the Rockets can do it...Adelman himself said that this team wont start clicking until around the all star break...Get ready for the rockets to finally start making some serious noise.

5. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

:eek: .....and here comes the Sacramento kings clipping at our heels they are only 4 games behind the rockets. Now that Mike Bibby is back healthy they've been playing good ball. So the Rockets can't be half stepping down stretch. Its gonna be a fight to the finish. How about we finish the 2nd half of the season with a 29-12 record,51 wins should be enough for the 6 or 7th seed. ;)