1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Rice Out For Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Jan 5, 2002.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I have a couple of questions:

• What exactly is Glen Rice's injury? Is it with his knees or ankles?
    • Does this mean his career is over, or do we have to wait until after the surgery?
    • Has the old 'New Jersey Nets Injury VooDoo' hit Houston?

Thanks! :D

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The patellar tendon is in the knee. Rice has a knee injury. Aside from earlier problems with plantar fasciatis, I don't believe that Rice has had any problems with his feet.

Rice should be back next season. It would be nice if he could practice his shooting a bit since he won't have much else to do. But since so much of his shooting is dependant on his legs, that probably won't be possible.

3. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I still say the Rockets acquired Rice five years too late.

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I think it's a good thing that it happened now, instead of late in the season. We've been making do without him thus far this year. I, along with some other posters, still feel that he's got something left in the tank & when he heals up, will be the perfect SF we've been craving.

With the injury now, it gives him the rest of this season & all of the off season to rehab & get himself into game shape for the beginning of next season. That's when we'll really find out if we made a sensational trade or screwed the pooch.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Torres will not get minutes neither will Morris, the minutes will go to the players you saw on the court tonight in the 4th qt. Rudy for some reason will play Francis at the 2 and Mobley at the 3 and Norris at the point. This is the small ball that he deemed really successful but small ball was done in by tall atheletes. Harrington defending Mobley with O'Neal guarding the basket. The result was a ****ed up fade a way. I'm sorry admins, but watching the game again really pissed me off.:mad:

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That cracked me up - I had been waiting for that and you did it :D.

7. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Well, if Rice had to be out for most of a season, I'd rather it be this one where we have little chance of making it to the playoffs anyway. This way, the rooks get needed experience, and who knows, maybe Rice being out will cost us wins that enable us to draft a solid player through the lottery or trade the pick for a solid player we wouldn't have been able to acquire otherwise. I'm not in favor of tanking, but I can accept another lottery season if it leads to us rocketing into the playoffs next year. Imagine how much better we'd be next year with (for example) Yao Ming, a healthy and productive Mo Taylor and Glen Rice, and four sophomores who've successfully polished their roles within the system through significant court time. Still, I hope for the team's sake that we make the playoffs next season, because I really don't see Steve sticking around here if we don't.

I, too, would like to know more about what compensation we get from NY/Dallas with Rice out for the season. I really hope it's not just cash.