1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Transferring Balances

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Barfo10, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

I'm looking for a credit card for someone with poor to fair credit at best that they can transfer a couple of credit cards with high interest rates/balances. I've googled lots of cards but I'm having a hard time recommending the best one. My friend has one card with a $7000 balance and one with a $9000 balance. According to her both interest rates are between 16 and 24%. OUCH! Just trying to lend her a helping hand without her having to apply for multiple cards. Should I just recommend consolidation?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You will not be able to get a large credit limit card for her with low rates, at least not likely (if her credit is bad). Is she paying the cards now?

16000 at 16% -24% is like :eek: at 24% her amount would doubble in three years, at 16% it would double in less than 5 years.

3. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

Yea, she said her minimum payments are around $250 each. I don't see how she is doing it.

4. ling ling

ling ling Member

does she own a house?

5. pirc1

She really needs to put in a huge effort to get out of these debt ASAP, if she doesn't she will be bankrupt in a few years. Stop going out, cut all unnecessary expenses like cable, high speed internet, cell phone.

6. pirc1

If she does own a house she can of course put in a home equity loan, but she might also lose her home if she default on that. The good point about home equity loan is the rate is usually much better than credit card rates.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Tell her to call/e-mail Dave Ramsey.

Seriously.

8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

and pay by cash/debit card

9. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

She told me today that she had a SIMPLE IRA from a previous job worth $6,500 that she cashed in so that she could pay on the balances. Pretty sad.

10. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

She rents an apartment

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

ahh, spending more than one earns..a uniquely American tradition!

check out: http://cardratings.com/

and then rent Maxed Out...a great documentary about the debt in this nation.

12. ooze

ooze Member

i second the dave ramsey suggestion. give her the total money makeover book.

also you can find some balance transfer offers for 0% 12 months, or even 2.9% fixed for life - you gotta search for them though. motleyfool has good resources for finding a good credit card.