1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Never Complain About the Refs, but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What really concerns me about the way the game has been called tonight is that, while the calls have been fairly consistent, they've been called in the wrong direction. The refs spent a great deal of time calling touch fouls but refused to call the hard one's. That is a recipe for absolute disaster.

It pisses off the players because when they get killed, they get no call but if they breathe on someone enough to make their opponent's hair flutter, they get rung up.

I don't know exactly what the experience is for the crew tonight, but they need a review if they are like this all the time.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Well this was certainly the worst officiated game of the year I've had the displeasure of watching. Can anyone even think of a time Mooch, Cat, or Steve drove to the basket without being held and can anyone think of more than about 3 times that it was called. The Rockets were also getting away with a lot of bumping and reaching (really suprised they weren't giving Reggie his flops) but there were many times the Rockets had it down low and Indiana would just reach and reach until we lost it. Overall a terrible job officiating and then we get screwed on the end jump ball. They beat us last time against Indiana.

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

The rockets just choked!!!

4. pooh222

pooh222 Member

The officiating was pretty bad, but the Rockets sucked in the second half. 29 points on 27% shooting. You can't win playing like that for a half. Also, the Rockets starting playing with the ball too much in the second half as well. Indiana sucked themselves but the Rockets sucked worse. The officiating didn't cost the Rockets this game, the Rockets cost themselves this game.

5. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

I know, and did any of you guys notice when Stevie had the ball against Tinsley.......and that Tinsley boy kept reachin and slapping Francis arm. Then Francis slapt his wrist a couple of times. :mad:

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

It shouldn't have even come down to the officiating- which I agree was terrible.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I posted this thread at the beginning of the third quarter so I am not at all blaming the loss on the refs.

My point was that this was a horribly officiated game NOT because they were missing calls but because the way they called it was dangerous and kept the game out of control.

8. Major

Major Member

J. O'Neal was getting hacked left and right too and was getting no calls. Jeff's right -- the refs just didn't feel like calling hacks today, especially in the 2nd half.

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

Indiana always gets the favorable calls, no matter the officials. I have seen many close games go their way based on the officiating alone - this one no exception.

10. freckle03

freckle03 Member

can someone explain the last jump ball? was it tipped before francis got it, because you can't catch it if nobody touches it, right? the clock didn't start until francis had his hands on it, from what i saw... he could have dribbled and got himself set before launching the shot.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Jeff Foster gets away with a lot of dirty play, at least from the games I've seen him play.

12. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

While the officials sucked, the Rockets sucked harder tonight. :eek:

Well, still optimistic though ... :D

13. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

1.The refs really sucked this game but we can't blame them for this loss. They were terrible but we new that they were a crappy crew by halftime. The trick is not to put yourself in a position were they can screw you down the stretch. This team showed the immaturaty that plagued them two years ago, allowing calls that don't go their way to get tham rattled.

2. Rudy did a poor job of coaching this game, he left Walt in there way too long and should have left Cato in to guard O'neal. Cato might not of been playing smart but he was playing hard and giving O'neal a tough time. So what if he fouled out. Griffin and KT got abused down low.

3. We really need a legitimate back to the basket post threat in order to win close games like these. (Here is where we really miss Dream).

14. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

As crazy as I am as a Rockets fan, I have to say the Rockets were more terrible than the refs were. :(