1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm getting tired of TRADE ACCEPTED....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Jan 5, 2002.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

but here's my first usage of Real GM

Denver trades: Raef LaFrentz $3,755,142 to Houston
    Denver trades: James Posey $1,120,680 to Houston
    TOTAL: $4,875,822

Houston trades: Cuttino Mobley $4,413,375 to Denver
    Houston trades: Kenny Thomas $946,920 to Denver
    TOTAL: $5,360,295

does it make sense? not really.

nugzfan, plz blast me

2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

sure! so many ways, i dont even know where to begin.

im actually starting to salivate and break into seizure so many thoughts are flying through my head with this simple 2 team, 4 player deal.

where to begin?!!?!?

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

oops, i didn't mean it to be offensive at you Nugzfan (or your recent replies on other threads... actually agree in your "ridiculous" approach to them)

i honestly wanted u to point out the faults of this deal

anyhow, i figure this trade gives rudy his SF shooter and inside presence/shooting C of lafrentz. houston takes a risk that oscar torres can play SG for them.. and Rice starts to share minutes at SG. houston can now gun at all 5 positions.

cat becomes a big scorer in denver... while kenny thomas further clogs up the jam at PF. maybe dice will move down to SF again, maybe KT will get even more SF-ish.

4. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

see the thing is, when i look at a deal, i look at more than

a) does it meet the realgm trade checker

b) how close are the stats

i also look at...

c) the positions of the players

d) their ages

e) the lenghts of their contracts

f) team chemistry

g) attitude problems (if any)

h) my personal preference to any particular player

i) the team we are trading with (within division/within conference/between conference?)

j) other variables...

theres alot of things...

so for example in this one...

(a) and (b) seem fine as mobley is the best player stat wise in the trade.

but (c) hurts us (a BIG MAN for sg), (d) non factor (all pretty young), (e) dont like cuz poz/raef have nice contracts now (i want to build with these guys if possible), (f) is a killer as mobley loves to shoot, (g) non factor (all good guys) although it might hurt you guys as mobley and francis are tight, (h) i like poz/raef more (doesnt really count in real life though), (i) trading WITHIN DIVISION...always a no no unless its a great deal...

and so forth. the bad outweigh the good for denver IMO.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

If we trade Mobley, then the chance of Francis signing a long term deal with the Rockets decreases exponentially. At least that's what I believe.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

If we trade Mobley in order to improve the team and make it a championship contender, the chances of Francis signing could increase exponentially. I would do the trade but like Nugz said Denver probably wouldn't.

7. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

The TRADE ACCEPTED gives you the warm fuzzy's that the trade actually can happen. Who wants to figure out that its within the CBA rules..So please leave it in there...

Anyhow, even though I think this trade is a reasonable trade, Nuggets would never make that trade

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but after looking at James Posey's stats, I'm not even sure if we would be getting the best out of the trade. Posey's FG% is 36% and last season his 3pt % was 30% and this year its 31%. What's so good about this guy? If I was rating him purely based on his stats, I would have to say that he sucked. I'm sorry he doesn't seem like he's a good shooter at all. I don't want him.

If Mobley ankles were at full strength all season I don't think y'all would be so eager to trade him. He hasn't able to drive to the basket as well as he could in previous seasons and has had to rely more on his outside shot. He's one of the best 3 point shooters in the league at 42%, but he has struggled with his midrange jumper because he's only shooting 41% overall. Mobley and Thomas combine for almost 35 points per game this season, whereas Posey and Lafrentz combine for 25 points per game. We'd be losing scoring.

I'm not so sure this acquisition makes the Rockets much better. It definitely doesn't instantly make them a championship contender and it gives Francis less reason to stick around. With Mobley on the team, I don't think there's much question Francis will stay. If Mobley's gone I'm not as sure.

Yes, the trade fills the center slot, but comparing the overall production of Mobley and Thomas to Lafrentz and Posey, we would be losing out. I think we could do a better job of acquring a center without having to give up as much.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Mobley > LaFrentz
    Thomas > Posey.

This trade would hurt the Rockets.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Agree with the nay-sayers. Mobley is definitely the best player in that deal. Posey has yet to prove that he's even an average NBA player, yet. Chemistry would suffer.

I'd love for the Rockets to trade for LaFrentz, but not at that price.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Just my two cents from a fantasy perspective, since I've had him all year:
    LaFartz blocks shots. That's it. There are numerous nights where he puts up close to nothing offensively. Once in a while he dumps 20 pts, 10 rebs...but that's like 1 out of 5 games. The rest of the time he'll drop 7 and 5. Some reason though, he always gets 2-6 blocks.

As for Posey...he's just as inconsistent, and can't shoot. I think he's freaky athletic, but can't drain the J...ala Shandn. There are many nights when he goes 0-11 or 2-10 or something like that.