1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yodels, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I recently saw an instructional video: Better Basketball... and I thought of some of our undeciplined players on our team. Some of the featured players were JJ Redick and Ben Gorden. Every player, coach, and commentator on the team needs to see this as even I learned something...

There is one player's shooting that really gets my goat. It annoys me that his shot is totally the opposite of a good shot. You guessed it: Chuck Hayes. I don't know who is more at fault, the coaching staff or Chuck himself. Whatever they are teaching him or their teaching methods suck... In the sport of boxing you can take a willing teenager and make him a prize fighter (Tyson) through coaching. Tyson couldn't be bad if he tried since the teaching and coaching methods and preparation was so good. Very few coaches in the NBA have the level of pride in their craft that I'm looking for...they just do what everybody else does and let players be players...

step #1 for chuck...don't use a basketball or goal. Practice coordination/choreography of body that leads to the shot...ask Matt Bullard, Steve Novak, perhaps Shane Battier (1600 on SATs) who would know how to break it down so you can understand. Perhaps you don't respond to words, but prefer visual aids...perhaps you needs someone to physically poke you here and there as you are attempting the mechanics of shooting -- boxing coaches and dance instructors are more kinesthetic...

If the coaches are telling you to practice shooting freethrows, don't listen. They are making you ingrain bad habits. Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. First learn the basics...be aware of your body is doing.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yup, chuck needs to develop the 3pt shot

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm confused, is he being serious or sarcastic?

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i dont know but when a professional basketball player in the greatest league in the world cannot make a free throw to save his life, there is something seriously wrong with the coaching, the sport and the players

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

signed,

shaq

:cool:

he is especially bad this season, chuck, but for his career he is a 60% guy. not great, but still not as bad as he's been this year. Although, the rockets as a whole have not been good at FTs this year

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy has taken 11 free throws this ENTIRE season man. Who cares if he misses the one ft he takes every third game????

And Shaq has shot worse from the line then Hayes in past year - and Shaq actually goes to the line A LOT. I guess that means there's something wrong with Phil Jackson and Pat Riley right?

7. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

I'm confused...what do SAT scores have to do with basketball? Moreover, did Battier really get a perfect 1600 on his SATs?

8. James23

James23 Member

Better basketball is Yao playing better basketball. He has stop first attack the basket, taking one or two dribble into the paint then shoot a jumper or hook shot. Then shoot those quick outside shots when defenders worry about him attacking the basket.

In the 1st half against the Celtics, he foolishly took those quick outside shots and missed badly because his defenders were bodying him from below. They weren't worrying about Yao attacking the basket.

9. kikimama

kikimama Member

Do you have a link where I can download this video? I like to play pick up games and I'd like to improve my game.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Seriously, Chuck should try Rick Barry style, underhanded free throws.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's not just his form. Look at Shawn Marion, his is just as worst but he can shoot well. It's more mental than anything. He gets nervous out there because he knows his shot is funny looking. He needs confidence in his free throws.

12. kikimama

kikimama Member

Indeed, Dwight Howard has great form along with Ben Wallace but they just don't have the shooters feel. Although form helps a lot with keep mistakes on a down low.

13. James23

James23 Member

you can't those videos online: http://so.youku.com/search_video/q_better basketball

if you want to download it or want them in higher resolution, search bittorrent sites.

14. James23

James23 Member

you can watch those videos online, here -> http://so.youku.com/search_video/q_better basketball

if you want to download it or want them in higher resolution, search bittorrent sites.

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

JJ Redick. Remember when people wanted to draft him with our pick? That guy can't even crack the rotation in Orlando.

I don't know who was the worse pick for Orlando, Fran Vasquez or Redick, at least Vasquez isn't stealing any of their money.

16. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I bet Chuck Hayes makes 90% of his free throws in practice...seriously. How the hell else could willingly shoot such an ugly shot?

17. kikimama

kikimama Member

18. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

jj redick
    3P% 0.353

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've always taken issue with coaches, shooting experts or whomever attempting to completely overhaul a guy's shot. If he is in the NBA odds are he has been shooting free throws for 15 years or more. No matter what the shot looks like or how often it goes in you have to remember this is naturally how he shoots.

Thanks to whomever decided to ruin Chuck's confidence and what little bit of proper shot mechanics he had before. I still say he should try underhanded.

20. kwng

kwng Member

Frankly, though technique of FT is crucial to whether your FT is good (score)
    or not, in reality, as long as it goes in, ppl don't care if you make your FT
    with your back facing the basket. However, in Chuck case, he is not having
    a good %FT score and his technique looked like those ppl trying to hit a duck
    at the funfare.