1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Public Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just curious if anyone else listens to non-commercial radio and which one's. There are really only 4 big stations that are commercial free:

KUHF - UH radio - This is the big mutha of the bunch that plays 90% classical with the occassional jazz show and NPR news. They also have a few syndicated things like Car Talk. I wish they were legit college radio, but NPR is cool.

KTSU - TSU radio - The best jazz Monday - Wednesday with "lite" jazz on Thursday and R&B/Gospel through the weekend. Their Latin show on Saturday evenings is terrific.

KPFT - The only true listener-sponsored because it has no educational affiliation. Their blues, bluegrass and jazz shows Saturday and Sunday are some of the best and they broadcast World Cafe during the week which is where I actually heard some of my favorite music for the first time (Ben Folds, Duncan Sheik, New Radicals, etc, etc). They also have BBC news and some Pacifica News but their management is changing and the inmates seem to have control of the asylum. Makes me worry about the good programming.

KTRU - Rice U Radio - I find this station 90% unlistenable. When I mentioned this recently on a local music usenet group, a person who I'd never seen post there called me ignorant suburban white trash and a stupid ****er. How did he know? :) Anyway, they are tough to listen to on most days.

Personally, I love listening to NPR, KTSU's weekday jazz is fantastic and I have a very hard time deciding whether to listen to Milestones (KPFT) or Jazz Latino (KTRU) on Saturday nights. And, I am, at times, a Praire Home Companion geek.

Thoughts?

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I love NPR on the weekends: Car Talk, Michael Feldman, Prairie Home Companion, and Back Porch Music.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I LOVE KPFT 90.1 . . . I listen to it an awful lot. Although, I miss "Democracy Now", which has been gone since 9/11. It's introduced me to a broad range of musical styles, and I've found many of my favorite artists on there. The Pacifica News Network is unique, and I LOVE the BBC news. The one thing that I think 90.1 could use is a rap/hip hop show -- they give many, MANY hours to other music, rap and hip hop would be a unique program -- something that features local rap groups and such.

Personally, I'm not a fan of NPR though.

What are the frequencies of those stations Jeff?

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

KUHF 88.7
    KPFT 90.1
    KTSU 90.9
    KTRU 91.7

Mango

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I listen to KUHF in the morning (that's when they've got the NPR news on) when I'm driving to work, except on Tuesday mornings, which is a particularly good time on KTRU (maybe the DJ just has good taste).

I haven't listed to KTSU in awhile, mostly because the DJ that I liked there is gone. This DJ (Chris was his name) actually played Rahsaan Roland Kirk as a "featured artist" around noontime back in 1998. It was the most exciting hour of music I had ever heard on the radio and I called up immediately after and told him so. He thanked me, but then mentioned that every other call he had gotten during the hour had been a death threat (Kirk is considered avant-garde jazz and is admittedly somewhat on the different side). Too bad most people can't open their minds a little bit.

I wish more people would listen to the non-corporate stations because you really get a much broader spectrum of music and commentary. I do wish that one station would really pick up the ball and play more Houston music (101 and ZZ Top do not count).

6. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I don't actually live in Houston, but I really like KPFT on Sundays when they play mostly blues. My band has also played on KPFT live a few times on the Pat and Rosie show which is very late on Sunday nights (Monday morning). It's only happened once, but it was cool to turn on the radio and actually hear one of my band's songs. At first I thought that it was just a familiar song until I recognized it. I didn't even know what station I was listening to.

It was pretty cool for me.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

The ONLY good thing about commuting to school this year is that it's gotten me into NPR in the mornings. I'm not a classical music buff, but I like listening to classical every once in awhile. Still, I find myself a little disappointed when the KUHF switches back to classical at 9:00. Does anyone know a 24-hr news station? I heard there was one on AM, but I never found it.

8. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

There are no 24 hour all-news stations in Houston.

A note on KUHF. Right before I left Houston I remember them wanting to upgrade their news department, and they hired away a few newspeople from KTRH including Paul Pendergraft and Ed Mayberry.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I lived in St. Louis, the NPR station only played classical music after 8pm and before 5am. The other times they played all things considered, and morning edition twice each, as well as shows like 'Talk of the Nation', and others. Because of that I think the local public station is real lame and I have little sense of loyalty for them. I try to listen to All Things Considered when I can, but I'm generally disapointed by the station.

I find most of the AM stations' news broadcasts to be either too local-oriented, too soundbite-oriented, or too angry republican-oriented. 740 is about the best for AM news, IMO.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

KTRH (740 AM) claims to be all news but they've thrown in a LOT of talk shows.

On the KUHF news, Paul is a really terrific guy. He is a good friend of my partner and I've known him for some time. I'm really glad he got the gig over at KUHF. He loves it there.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The only radio station I listen to is KPFT. My Sunday isn't complete without listening to some of the best blues radio on the planet.

12. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

<b>Ottomaton</b>: There's a difference between being "angry" and "just plain fed up."

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I really enjoy the reggae show on KTRU that airs on Wednesdays from 5PM to 7PM. Does anyone else know of any other reggae shows that air in Houston? I know that 97.9 will play some every so often, but not consistently.

14. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Oh yeah JEFF,
    I forgot to tell you, I remember one of your threads a while back was kinda dogging 610 sportstalk radio shows...well, the very next day I was listenening to the show on after Jim Rome and they were talking about how the CC.Net BBS is one of their favorite sites to find out info and scoops in sports! Supposedly they love this place!

I thought that was kinda funny & ironic!:D

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

mr. oily - Was that Russ Small's show or Rich and Charlie? I've never heard Rich and Charlie talk about it so that would be news to me, which is cool. I know both of them but they don't usually discuss web stuff online. Now, Lance and John (the morning guys) talk CC.net up all the time.

16. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I am an NPR junky. I just love their funny little Brit accents and how they take the most boring stories and make them truly interesting.

17. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

well i am a death metal fan so i listen to sweet nightmears tuesday night 12-3am on KPFT