1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Professional Dog Training

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by coma, Jan 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. coma

coma Contributing Member

Has anyone here taken their dogs to any of the local professional dog training academies?

If so,

.. what was your experience?
    .. how much did you pay?
    .. were/are you satisfied with the results?
    .. what kind of things did your dog learn?

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I did a 6 week class ( for about 60 bucks you meet once a week for classes and then you have "homework) it worked great. The dog learned just the basics, walking on a leash, stoping, being around other dogs.Look in Leisure learning or at a Petco, they're sure to have some signs or ads.

I've also just raised a dog without classes or anything and the dog is better behaved than the one I took to class! I think some dogs are just dumber, some are just smarter, but nontheless can be taught:)

About the classes, not only does the dog learn, but you also learn how to speak to the dog in a way understood by all! Good idea.

BTW I understand some people are just too damn busy to go to dog classes with the dog and just pay someone else to train it, but if that is the case I'd seriously reconsider the decision to bring an animal into your life, they require your time and attention.:)

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not to get off-topic, but you should see me try to walk my two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. These dogs are hunting dogs and they never stop hunting or thinking about the hunt. My dogs will chase squirrels until the end of time and nothing will stop them. They run around my backyard when the squirrels are out and follow them from tree to tree. They never stop.

So, anyway, when I walk them...I walk them on a really strong retractable leash with a splitter. We go for a walk in the park and, even though they know what "heal" means, they pull and have to check out trees near the paths. They always want to lead to look for those lurking damn squirrels. When they see them up ahead, they pull so hard they basically drag me over to the squirrel. Then, they try to climb the tree after the squirrel(s).

I trained my dogs myself and they know their commands. But, when that hunting instinct takes over, you can forget the training. I've got choke collars and they choke the hell out of themselves during the walk looking for those squirrels. The best case is if there are no squirrels...then they are easy to walk. I don't really mind and I usually let them off the leash in the bigger areas of the park so they will wear themselves out somewhat for an easier walk thereafter. They run around the perimeter hunting squirrels....they absolutely love it.

I think I ended up with ROXRAN's dogs somehow. I never did the professional training but I don't think it would have helped in my case. Those squirrels are too tempting. They know their basic commands like sit, stay, heal, down, and off among others. But, trying to tell a Ridgeback to stay when the dog's staring at a squirrel is like trying to tell Osama to quit sending videotapes to Al Jazeera television....it's just not going to happen.

I would recommend you either set aside some time on your own, buy a good training book, and teach your dog yourself with positive reinforcement(which usually means treats). Or, if you can't discipline yourself to do that like 15-20 minutes a day, then take the dog to a professional class(if it will make you more inclined to show up for the duration and do your homework). I wouldn't take your dog to a trainer, leave the dog there for six weeks, and then come get your newly trained dog. I believe it works best if master is doing the training. What kind of dog is it?

Surf

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

Thanks mr_oliy,

I'm actually fully prepared to give her my time and attention. I've been consumed with taking her out to potty for the past week every few hrs or so. The past few days have not been easy, with it being cold as it has.

She's a Rotty/German Shepard mix. My fear is without proper training and early non-aggresive habit reinforcement, she'll be a threat to the community. I don't want to be profiled on Animal Precinct as an owner of a dog that the neighbor posioned due to excessive barking.

Thanks for the tips.

Man's Best Friend is like $1000, but I figure that's like $100 a year for her life span. Worth it in my opinion given the already bad rap Rotty's have.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yeah, the Ridgebacks are darlings. At least, the two female sisters I have raised since 8 weeks are darling. Even though they can be aggressive with each other and around other dogs, they would never attack or bite another person. They are too friendly...mine anyway.

But, for a Rotty/German Shepard, I think I would take that training and work with those dogs more than I have my RRs. If your into some reading, there are these monks who have written books on raising puppies and training German Shepards. They basically train the Shepards from their monastery. I forget which monks but I have the books somewhere. It may help your situation. I did alot of reading on raising and training to help raise my dogs. These were the recommended books I came across. A search of Amazon would turn them up as well.

Oh well....if you have not , then you should consider buying a book or two. It will help train you for the training :). Just my two cents.

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

whatever you do, make sure you take a class where YOU are part of the training...you don't know what those places do to "train" your dog when you're not around!? you and your dog bond when training. this bonding is really important.

petsmart and petco both offer basic training classes. there's also a group called H.O.T. DOG Club (Houston Obedience Training) that trains you and your dog... we used them and were very pleased, they also offered more advanced courses. basic commands were taught and training at home was strongly advised. commands learned were sit, stay, come, back-up, heal, down, leave it, take it and a few others...

also be sure to socialize your dog around other people and other dogs, this greatly helps to reduce the bad rap Rotties have gotten. I have a 4 year old Rottie who's a real sweetie, she alone is helping to dispell all the rumours about Rotties.

i could go on and on with advice and tips... but i won't....just be sure to love your dog a whole bunch because dogs love you no matter what.

good luck
    rH

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

rH,

You have a Rotty also!? Cool.

I love my lil' girl, she's precious. She's stubborn though! I need to get her to training asap.

Anyway, Man's Best Friend is a two week program. She's trained for the first week, then the second week, I'm there to train with her. It's basic obedience and house training. Ring the bell when she needs to go. Walk alongside me without a leash. Sit, stay, etc.. They come highly recommended. But like I said, it's about $1000. Well worth it if I get the expected results. Of course I realize I have to practice with her 30-40m a day.

Surfguy, those are some huge dogs. I can only imagine what you look like being walked by those two monsters.