1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks > Mike James,Steve Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ReD_1, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I don't want to make stupid themes but it is interesting that Mike James and Steve Francis are overplayed by rookie.
    I one hand I'm very glad becauese of Aaron,in the other I'm very dissapointed in Steve Francis and Mike James especially.
    Steve got his money,and sitts there like he doesn't care,he started few games but obviously Rick lost his trust in him.
    Mike James?
    Rafer's twin brother?
    Brick Brothers?
    At least Rafer is showing he CAN LEAD offense unlikely like Mike who shoots horrible,is out of the rotation and did not show almost nothing since we acquired him.
    That trade seemed very good from that point of view, obviously Timberwolwes outsmarted us.
    I'm not too harsh, "only" 30 games are played,they have 50+ games left, but I can't describe how much I am dissapointed in guys that are supposed to be one of the main players on our team.

2. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

Related to another thread, both AB and the Rockets are best served, at least for now, with him developing off the bench. Personally, I believe that James and Francis still have too much potential and ability to be completely written off, or be reduced as mere components to the next major trade. However, even with that said, their less than stellar play has made it increasingly unclear, even to Adelman, what their real purpose and value are to this Rockets team.

#2 Downtown, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  3. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

Brookes=Allen Iverson II

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Steve wants to play, Rick's just not playing him. In the 6 games where he played more than 20 min, I'd say he had 3 decent games (2nd Phoenix game, GSW, Tor), 2 average games (1st Phoenix and the Den), and one down right horrible game (Dallas) after which he was out of rotation again. In the 4 games where his playing time was limited, those are games where he started cold/bad and was benched after the half time.

It would seem that Steve is on a very short leash, though with the "depth" at the guard position and his deteoriated play, it shouldn't be suprising. I'm just glad Aaron Brooks is stepping up and taking an advantage of the oppurtunity. That said, I'm not dissapointed in Francis, just the situation he was in and glad that we have a potential future piece in Brooks.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Similar to my analysis of Scola in other threads I think it's important to study how a player actually does when given significant minutes rather than focus on overall season averages which are scewed by Adelman's inconsistent, head-scratching rotations in which players can play heavy minutes for a stretch, get demoted to garbage-time and then get heavy minutes again.

For Mike James he's been better than some people realize. In games that he has played at least 20 minutes his adjusted season averages are:

39% FG
    34.7% 3PT
    11.6 PPG
    1.9 APG
    2.5 RPG
    1.0 SPG
    1.5 TO
    24 minutes per game average
    *20 minutes or more*

I know I may be in the minority when I say this but I very much still believe that he is an important piece on this team. He's a sparkplug and as evidenced by games in which he's actually been given a fair chance to prove himself he has succeeded in that role. History suggests that his shooting percentages will improve and I love his ability and willingness to drive and attack rather than settling for jumpers like most of our other guards.

6. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Man...words wan't descibe how much I want steve francis to play...but its not up to me...but I've been waiting for that 20 point game all season and I am yet waiting but I know he will get it.

Mike James is good but Should play that 5-10 minutes,,hitting those threes when needed...but thats all.

Aaron brooks is a rookie and needs those developing minutes and he seems to know what hes doing on the court,,He will be our future point guard or he will be traded for a Descent player....to me him and luther head has already stolen both francis and james's minutes....so I have given up on Steve Francis ATM...hhaha

7. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

imo Mike James and Luther Heads games are quite similar. James would be much better just coming off the bench and getting his instead of setting the table for others. We already have Luther for that.

Play AB!!! Guy is more explosive then my bowels after drinking dirty water in a 3rd world country.

8. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I am excited about what Brooks did too. But we all need to cool down a bit.

Brooks is unknown comodity to the other teams. Nothing was designed to exploit his weakness on the floor... But with he plays like this, I am sure that will happen soon.

I hope he can continue his progress.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

At least Francis looks happy and is having fun out there. You can see him cheering on his teammates along with Deke the entire time. I don't know about Mike James though. I feel like hes going to burst any minute with that ego of his.

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

James will be traded soon, and he knows that.

11. blastaway

blastaway Member

Rafer's numbers are just as bad as everyone's except AB, yet there is some sense that everyone think Rafer plays better. Given that he has started all games that he plays in and gets the majority of the minutes, I don't see what why the benefit of the doubt can't be given to other players as well. Rafer has had 26 games with over 31 minutes a game to show what he will do; if the last two seasons were not enough.

Most people know that shooters get better with more playing time. Rafer is not a shooter.

Player G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    Rafer Alston 26 26 31.1 .380 .291 .594 .30 2.80 3.10 5.0 1.12 .15 1.77 1.50 9.3

Mike James 27 1 18.1 .359 .333 .786 .40 1.30 1.70 1.8 .63 .07 .96 1.40 7.6

Steve Francis 10 3 19.9 .333 .235 .565 .80 1.50 2.30 3.0 .90 .50 1.40 2.50 5.5

Aaron Brooks 8 0 9.9 .471 .278 1.000 .30 .60 .90 1.9 .00 .13 1.00 1.30 5.1

created: 12/29/2007,02:06 AM

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Assuming we actually make the playoffs... I am not sure Brooks will offer much. We need Francis/James to get into the rotation regardless of who is more efficient at this point.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well said, sometimes I truly believe that Adelman has retired from the NBA and is just "hanging out" with the Rockets for something to do. At times he looks completely clueless.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Remember that two experienced NBA coaches also think Rafer plays better.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rafer plays smarter than James and Francis, but he still can't shoot worth a darn.

DD

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Are you honestly trying to make an argument for 39% shooting and an otherwise anemic statline?

17. blastaway

blastaway Member

Remember that one quit on a team and now also doesn't have a coaching job. And the other just got back into the NBA after being fired.

18. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

simple answer = yes
    but, if you had asked if rafer>mj,sf3 the answer would have been even easier= no

19. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I think something's up with him. I don't know what his problem is, but it seems like he has an unwarranted HUGE ego. Every star that he's played with ends up hating him, and we've always heard rumblings of him and McGrady not getting along so that's no different.

The only place he's really and truly thrived was in Toronto, where he was allowed to play like the gunner he is and he actually made shots.

20. conquistador#11

the thing i love most about brooks is that he knows his role and keeps the big man involved. yao should be involved in every play; yet when rafer and james handle the ball, there are stretches when the big man doesn't even touch the ball.