1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AFC South: Toughest Division in Football

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PERIOD!
    Texans . . .. like the Rockets
    are just caught up in the toughest division of their sport

Jags and Titans are getting better
    as the Texans are getting better

The Texans are 0-5 in the division
    7-3 out of it. [San Diego - Atl - Browns] with some quality wins [Buc, Saints, broncos]
    Is this not something to HURRAY about as a Texan Fan

To me . . this is the premeire division in Football
    Capable of putting at least 2 teams in the playoffs
    for the next 5 years

Rocket River

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The difference is, the Texans actually care. The Rockets have pretty much disrespected their fans with the "effort" they've put out this year.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

It will stay the toughest division. All 4 teams are still fairly young and I only see the Texans getting better.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't think it's as tough as people make it out to be. IND and JAX are well above the Titans and Texans. The Titans just don't suck as much as the Texans. everyone in the division has 2 wins against the Texans. besides that, who have the Titans beaten? they won early against JAX, but their wins are against weak opponents too.

i guess you could say that IND and JAX are enough to make it the toughest divison.

sure, the Texans beat TB, but they had their back up QB in that game. it would have been a better test with Garcia.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

We have the most players on the IR in the league and our starting quartback, running back, center and top corner were out that game. Every game is a test for us this season - the TB game was a QUALITY win, no way of short changing that.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Quality wins? That is two wins in perhaps the worst division in football and against the Broncos who are average at best. The Bucs are the NFC version of the Titans. Not necessarily as good as their records, but a team that keeps games close enough to win. I'm a Titans fan, so it hurts me a bit to say that.

I will say I think that it is the toughest division, simply because there are not any real bad teams.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

weird, i've been making that argument for the Texans the whole year and now i dismissed it. :eek:

8. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Please tell me what the "toughest" division is if it isn't the AFC South. INDY and JAX are Superbowl contenders while TEN and HOU would be locks in the playoffs if they were in other divisions. It's just unfortunate they are all in one division.

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Sort of reminds me of the old AFC Central, back when Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy and Houston were all good teams.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

For those who don't now, this is how the NFL schedule works:
    Every team plays the other teams in their division twice. Divisions will also face off each other on a rotating basis. Every team in your division will play every team from a division in its conference as well as the other conference. That makes up 14 games out of 16. The final 2 games vary for every team in the divison. The team who finished 1st in the division will play the 2 teams in their conference who also finished 1st in the previous season that are not in the division that their conference is set to play. This is why the Pats play the Colts every year even though they are not in the same division. They just always finish 1st.

This year, he AFC South played the AFC West and NFC South. The AFC South went 13-3 against the NFC South and 12-4 against the AFC West. The Texans were 3-1 vs both division and the only team not to have a winning record against another division was the Titans vs the AFC West.

Combined the AFC South went 25-7 vs other divisions. Statistically speaking, the South is a very talented division.

11. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

i'd say the nfc east is comparable

12. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

that is very telling of the situation.
    25-7 vs others is a great showing.
    why is this happening to houston? nba, nfl, etc.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

because the astros play in the NL Central.

14. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I agree with you about the TB win, Garcia playing would of made a big difference. And that win was our only win to a team with an above .500 record. And they are a NFC team...

Our wins this year...

Home vs. the Chiefs (4-11)
    Away vs. the Panthers (6-9)
    Home vs. the Dolphins (1-14)
    Away vs. the Raiders (4-11)
    Home vs. the Saints (7-8)
    Home vs. the Bucs (9-6)
    Home vs. the Broncos (6-9)

This team may be getting better, but so is everyone else and we can't beat good quality teams. And also our road wins are against garbage.

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

If the Titans win and the AFC South has THREE teams in the playoffs, then I'd say no.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This is why we always play the Raiders and Browns and Dolphins.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If the Redskins win (or the Vikings and Saints lose), the NFC East would send 3 teams to the playoffs as well if I'm not mistaken. Additionally, both divisions may end up with each team being .500 or better.

18. wstar

wstar Member

The teams in the AFC South actually finished 30-10, not 25-7, against the rest of the NFL. All 4 teams are inside the division for their Sunday finales.

Ind 13-2 overall, 8-2 outside AFC South (L - NE, SD)
    Jax 11-4 overall, 9-1 outside AFC South (L - NO)
    Ten 9-6 overall, 6-4 outside AFC South (L - TB, Den, Cin, SD)
    Hou 7-8 overall, 7-3 outside AFC South (L - SD, Cle, Atl)

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yep, I agree, I think those two divisions (nfc east and afc south) are the toughest.

If the titans and the redskins win, they would be 3 teams in the playoffs for the same division.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

particularly considering how much better the AFC is than the NFC.