1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA tv - mcgrady, orlando vs. pistons (now)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pocket Rockets, Dec 25, 2007.

1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I just think that after his long spate of back problems two seasons ago, he is not the same player that he was beforehand.

2. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

wasn't that game a playoff game? he only really plays that good in the playoffs.

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

who cares, the new 2008 911 twin turbo with the automatic (tiptronic S atuo-transmission) which will get you to 60 faster than the six speed manual box by three-tenths of a second. The automatic/paddle shift is that good.
    3.5 seconds in automatic
    3.8 seconds in manual.
    automatics are no longer slush-boxes

Having said that, there is something very sexy and interactive about rowing the gears in a sports cars...clutch in and reving, taching up and dropping the clutch on launch, down shifting to the pop and rumble etc....BUT its his money.

I would have both auto and manual if I had his money.

4. liangqj

liangqj Member

Is that his expectation of career?

5. YugoRocketsFan

T-Mac really should look at those old videos of him.

6. MeatAndPotatoes

that triptronic 911 you're referring to, is an upgraded model that costs quite a bit more thanks to a modified computer which changes the gears instantly, it also has more gears than other automatic cars, and is the only automatic transmission in the world that offers performance like that.

There's also a such thing as a single-gear transmission, and they actually pick-up pretty damn fast. You wouldn't compare this either, to a regular automatic.

What really matters to me, it's all about having total control of a vehicle, plain and simple. Not relying on a computer to decide when to upshift. The feeling of knowing exactly where the clutch grabbs on, and the overall feel of controlling the engine. Manuals are just plain easier to control. You can quickly get up to 50mph and suddenly being cruising at that speed without your engine thinking what the hell is he doing? You can smoothly rev the engine to 4k rpm's unitl you hit 50 and just drop it in 4th and it's a smooth ride.

In an automatic, if you try to quickly get to 50mph and cruise, your transmission will still be in 3rd gear thinking you are going to be accelerating. You actually have to release the gas for the transmission to upshift since automatics will keep revving at higher rpm's if your foot remains on the gas. In a manual, you can go to 4k rpm's, then 4k rpm's, then 3,8 rpm's, then 3 rpm's seamlessly. In an automatic, there's no way for the engine to tell what speed your trying to get at, so it will just keep revving the same amount every gear. That's one of the reasons manuals are more efficient with gas.

7. apocclass

apocclass Member

if you watched the game today, you see mcgrady plays pretty much the same way then as now. he shot a bunch of jumpers, he just made more of them back then.

8. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

That was fun to watch. It's a shame about his back. It really makes you wonder what could've been if it hadn't been for that.

He definitely used to shoot a ton of jumpers just like he does now. But his first step was much, much quicker. That made his jab step/step back jumper more effective than it is now. He was also SKINNY.

However, I think his game has matured alot. He had some plays in that Orlando game that definitely looked "selfish." For example there was a fast break, but the outlet pass was thrown too far ahead of him. He managed to catch it and stay in bounds near his own basket. Only one Piston was there, and there was a Magic player trailing the play. He could have passed it back out for an easy lay-up, but instead took it up and got fouled. I wonder if his spate of injuries made him into more of a passer. I'm guessing they did.

Still we've got the best 1-2 punch in the NBA. If the role players can just play a little better, I still see good things happening this year and next. Call me an undying optimist. ;)

9. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

aside from watching Tmac, watching Jon Barry shoot and pass brought the memory of the good ol' 04-05 season..

can we bring back J.B?? :(

10. Rowdie Brandon

i caught bits and pieces of this last night, but I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing, because it upsets you to know how talented the man is despite being so damn soft.....................

11. Rowdie Brandon

HAHAHA..LMAO!!!...HAHAHA

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

its still automatic and its faster.

as for your reasons to drive manual--more power to you.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It was a Christmas game, so no.

14. Roll-Wit-Da-Mac

I noticed his shot had more arch on it. His shots were going in the basket so clean. That T-mac was the man. That is the T-mac that I grew attached to... he still shows he can play like that sometimes.

15. kublick

kublick Contributing Member

im gonna crying...why we memorying this when T-Mac still supposed to be in his highdays..injury sucks...and too many rugular season games..

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Man, TMac at his best>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe, Lebron, anybody...

He was a beauty to watch.. Mannnnnnnnnnn.......... :(

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You make me miss my car..(sold it) :( Stick >>> Automatic

I agree about the feeling of "total control"... That's what manual is all about.

18. GTRacing

GTRacing Member

Alright, I don't know why I'm getting into an automotive conversation on a basketball forum... You cannot compare the Auto transmissions on most cars to that of some of the high dollar exotics. I think the manufacture would take it as a complete insult. It is safe to say that Formula 1 racing has and will continue to be the benchmark for most auto manufacturers(they don't use traditional manual boxes.) These high dollar transmissions do not use a torque converter like a conventional Auto. They have a hydraulic clutch that initializes when you decide to switch the gear with the push of a paddle. This minimizes a lot of the drivetrain loss that occurs with a normal automatic. It's been a while, but I think there is a drastic % diff in HP at the whees b/w a conventional auto and a manual.
    These transmissions are slowly becoming the choice of most enthusiasts...(Although I still prefer the manual). I have driven both an SMG and 6spd M3 at texasworld speedway. The perfect rev matching on downshifting and the immediate/precise up shifts made the car almost too easy to drive around the track.... Oh, and it's nice insurance to know you can't downshift from 5th to second on accident and have a couple valves brake off and stick in the top of your piston(yes it happened to me).. Safe to say I had a set of solid tranny mounts when I rebuilt the motor.
    Now these transmissions aren't perfect(still slightly more drivetrain loss, and heavier than a standard 6spd), they are continually getting better. Some exotics are not even offering a manual gearbox anymore(see bugatti veyron, new skyline, and many more).
    Now the fact that he prob. has a regular auto swapped into his lambo sucks, but not all transmissions are created equal.

19. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I think if you look at the current Rockets team and the the old John Barry/Bobby Sura team they have the edge in talent over this Magic team and yet the Rockets have no gotten out of the 1st round to date. Will this be the year the 900 lbs gorilla on T-mac and Yao's back it put to rest?

20. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

t-mac in terms of aggressiveness has only regressed a little bit since his prime days, the problem is when he was in his prime on such the occasion that the DID drive to the hoop he had such explosiveness that his results were far much better.