1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Siberian Tiger Escapes, Kills Visitor at SF Zoo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Dec 26, 2007.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- Investigators on Wednesday will try to determine how a Siberian tiger escaped from her enclosure at the San Francisco Zoo the day before, killing one zoo visitor and mauling two others.

Authorities planned a thorough sweep of the grounds to look for clues they may have missed in the dark Tuesday evening, according to The Associated Press.

Police shot and killed the tiger, San Francisco Fire Department Lt. Mindy Talmadge said. The surviving victims were transported to San Francisco General Hospital, she said.

Dr. Eric Isaacs said the two injured men, ages 19 and 23, were in serious but stable condition with multiple lacerations.

"I believe there was probably some blood loss at the zoo, but here they are talking, they are alert, their vital signs are stable at this time," Isaacs said

He said that both could be released as early as Wednesday. Video Watch as the tiger's victims are rushed to the hospital »

Talmadge said authorities were notified of an escaped tiger about 15 minutes after the 78-year-old zoo's 5 p.m. PT closing time.

"Apparently right around closing time -- there was a pen with four tigers in it -- one of the tigers got out," Talmadge said. "The tiger went into a cafe at the zoo and attacked a patron. That person ended up dying at the scene."

Police arrived as the animal attacked two other patrons, Talmadge said.

"They shot the tiger, and the tiger is deceased," she said.

Talmadge said the 125-acre zoo was locked down and all the facility's other animals were accounted for, including three other tigers that had been in the same enclosure with the escaped animal.

Initially, officials feared some or all of the other tigers might have escaped but later determined they had not, Talmadge said.

The tiger that escaped, a 300-pound female named Tatiana, did not escape through an open door, Robert Jenkins, the zoo's director of animal care and conservation, told the AP.

Jenkins could not explain how the tiger got out, since the enclosure has a 15-foot moat and 20-foot walls, the AP reported.

"There was no way out through the door," Jenkins told the AP. "The animal appears to have climbed or otherwise leapt out of the enclosure." Video Watch as animal expert Jack Hanna discusses the attack »

The San Francisco Chronicle reported the tiger was the same animal that chewed the flesh off a keeper's arm in an attack last December during a public feeding demonstration.

California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health later determined that the zoo was at fault because of hazardous conditions in the Lion House, which houses the zoo's large cats, and lack of specialized safety training for employees, according to the Chronicle. The Lion House was closed for more than six months after the mauling, the paper reported, and the zoo made changes that the state safety division ordered.

Along with Siberian tigers, an endangered species, the zoo has rarer and smaller Sumatran tigers.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/26/tiger.attack/index.html

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

So much for taking the gf to the zoo next summer..

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

What a weird way to end that article.

So the killer tiger was this kind of tiger. Oh, they have these kinds of tigers too.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the story on the news this morning and they were showing paramedics carrying off one of the victims. Terrible way to spend Christmas getting mauled by a tiger.

I also couldn't help thinking that if my housecat was 300 lbs it would probably try to maul me.

5. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

It's a disaster; the zoo has had issues in the past, I think, with elephants and obviously the tiger. We take our two and half year to the SF Zoo all the time, it's going to be tough to take him back. It's a lovely place, what a scary and awful thing to have happen or to witness. I'm heartbroken by this story.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

coz you'll just take your bf?

sorry couldn't resist.. :D

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's scarier than anything is them not having any idea how the thing got out.

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

if i had to choose which animal ends my life, definitely tiger

largest cat in the world

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

i'm thinking a monkey

at least i'd die laughing

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd liked to be devoured by a cougar...preferably from the remington

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I'd rather be put to death by a dragon.. go out in style.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Now that is funny.........

13. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Those people who killed the cats should be brought to justice for kiling and endangered species. ;)

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

right after it blows you, right? gotta love that hot breath and forked tongue on your twig and berries... :eek:

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think some of you guys missed the large cat joke

16. MexAmercnMoose

just take the in-laws instead

17. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

"Apparently right around closing time -- there was a pen with four tigers in it -- one of the tigers got out," Talmadge said. "The tiger went into a cafe at the zoo and attacked a patron. That person ended up dying at the scene."

Did someone open the door for him or something? After they investigate how the tiger got out of the exhibit, they better figure out how the tiger got into the cafe.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

"The American Zoo and Aquarium Association estimates that up to 12,000 tigers are being kept as private pets in the USA, which is significantly more than the world's entire wild population.[62] 4000 are believed to be in captivity in Texas alone.[62]

A well known pop culture reference to the keeping of tigers as pets can be found in the Brian De Palma remake of Scarface starring Al Pacino. Pacino's character, Tony Montana, aspires to obtaining all the exterior trappings of the American Dream, which in the character's opinion included the ownership of a pet tiger, in this case kept on chain on his property.

Part of the reason for America's enormous tiger population relates to legislation. Only nineteen states have banned private ownership of tigers, fifteen require only a licence, and sixteen states have no regulations at all.[62]

The success of breeding programmes at American zoos and circuses led to an overabundance of cubs in the 1980s and 90s, which drove down prices for the animals.[62] The SPCA estimate there are now 500 lions, tigers and other big cats in private ownership just in the Houston area."

Wtf? :confused:

19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

rofl 500 large cats in the houston area huh?

20. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Don't they feed the tigers in SF? I'm assuming the tiger was hungry because he did go to the cafe.