1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help with cat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Dec 28, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

My cat, Puck, has a nasty viral/bacterial infection. We've already been to the vet (leaving me with several gouges in my arm!), and I have some medicine for her.

Unfortunately, the medicine came in pill form. I tried following the vets instructions, but Puck keeps spitting the medicine back up. I have a little pill holder, and I've been trying to stick the pill past its tongue, so the gag reflex can take over. She won't hold still enough for me to get the pill that far back. The vet office is already closed, and I really need a way of getting the medicine in my cat.

Anyone have an idea?

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

sounds like you need 2 people to do this...

you might get some help and have your friend wrap the cat up in a towel and hold it like your cradling it, then you open the cats mouth and pop the pill in... easier said than done, I know...

OH JEFFFFFFFF!!!!

rH

3. RocketSmack

RocketSmack Member

Try putting the pill in some food like a can of tuna or something that cats love to eat. Worked everytime with my dog. It goes down a lot smoother when it tastes good! :D

4. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

We have a cat that has to take pills on a regular basis. Here's how I deal with her:

- I get the pill set out before hand so I can grab it as quickly as possible.

- I pick up my cat and hold her as if I was cradling a baby. Then I quickly sit down so her weight can rest on my lap, leaving my hands somewhat free.

- Then with my hand that is closest to her head, I grab the scruff of her neck and pull her head back. This causes her mouth to open somewhat.

- With my other hand, I grab the pill and push it with my fingertip in her mouth until it hits the back of her throat. This will make her gag for a moment and swallow the pill.

I know it sounds fairly gruesome, but we have it down to a science now. The whole thing takes about 10 seconds. The key is to grab them by the scruff of their necks. That's how their mamas held them when they were little and it still has a calming effect on them.

Good luck!

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

If you can't get the cat to swallow the pill (It's not an easy task), you could (if it's the only cat in the house) grind the pill up and sprinkle it over a can of tuna, or soft cat food.

Hiding the pill in the food most likely ain't gonna work. Cat's don't eat the same way as dogs. Dogs eat first and ask questions later. Cats ask many many questions and may not eat what you're giving them at all.

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

dont know if this helps, but some people just cant feed a pill to a cat. like me for example.
    my sis can do it in one try and for every cat we had.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Content deleted, because it was a poor attempt at humor.

DD

#7 DaDakota, Dec 29, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2001