1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should have seen this coming.........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The bigger problem is that the "new guys" have run his offense even worse. It seems, to me, that last year's starters have been better both offensively and defensively in whatever system they run.

I think the solution is (1)you keep last year's starters, who will give you a base level of competence and (2) go search for better bench play, either on this roster or on someone else's roster.

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's on Tmac.

3. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

You make excellent points on do we have the right players to integrate and retrofit the system? But this bit of give it time is nauseating me. Hey look at Bean town people! The Celts though in an obviously inferior division and conference than the WC, I would bet the Celts would have a better record than the Rockets currently have in the SW. Anyone want to dispute that claim? :p

4. LeoT

LeoT Member

Fire him, and bring Van Gandy back, then we may get a champion in 2-4 years.

5. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

If Tmac can't coexist with other stars, then how come we haven't heard any complaints in the past three years between him and Yao?

I do agree though that he doesn't fit in Adelmen's offense. But the same thing can be said about Yao as well. RA's system is all about passing, cutting, reacting...basically all about movement. But when the ball goes into Yao's or Tmac's hands, what happens? Normally, they'll hold the ball for about 3 to 4 seconds which then slows down the pace of the game. Tmac holds the ball so that he can read what the defense is giving him. For Yao, he must wait for his teammates to cut or move to a spot so that proper spacing in given. In the time that this happens, the other 9 players on the court are left to just stand around and watch. The players on offense can't find open spaces to go to. There are no more opportunities to catch the defense off balance. Therefore, there has to be some sort of compromise for Yao and Tmac in how they play the game. For one thing, I really dislike it when Tmac just casually brings the ball up the court even if a fast break opportunity presents itself or when Yao waits awhile to pass the ball after the double team comes to him in the post.

6. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

No, because there is no way you could know. Until we see the Celtics play some of the good Western Conference teams, we won't really know how good they are.

7. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

Read it again. He said Tmac's game can't co-exist, not tmac.

8. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

Mark my word now. It's Dallas VS Boston in the Finals.

9. INrocket

INrocket Member

Just a reminder of how far we've fallen, I remember espn putting us #4 on the pre-season power rankings and some people here going ape **** and calling it disrespectful, dumb, since john hollinger had just #1 and how our additions were so big, despite being unproven, along with having a new coach, and today we are tied with the blazers minus oden for the 9th spot in the west.

10. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Well then all I'll say is "GO CELTICS!" If that turns out to be the case. In fact I'll cheer for whoever plays vs the Mavs if they make it to the finals. Suns, Spurs only exceptions to the rule. :p

11. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

One parallel I like to compare this Rockets team is to the NY Knicks of the mid 90's. Under Pat Riley (with JVG as assist. coach), the Knicks were a tought defensive team with a top 5 center, and were consistently in the championship hunt. When Riley left, the Knicks decided to go to a more offensive style and hired Don Nelson. Nelson emphasized offense and even wanted to set Ewing for jump shots at the top of the key (sound familiar), instead of down in the post, to free up the driving lanes. Nelson and the Knicks struggled with the style change and was Nelson was fired mid-season by the Knicks and Nelson never even finished coaching one whole season with the Knicks. The Knicks were 9 games over .500 (34-25) in the 95-96 season at the time Nelson was fired. Van Gundy was then made head coach and brought them back to the tough rugged defensive style they really excelled in (sound familiar again) and returned as championship contenders, even making the finals under JVG.

12. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

If dallas can't beat a duncanless SA, then I dont see how the could beat SA with a healthy Duncan, especially in the playoffs.

13. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Isn't this the problem we were in last year? I thought we fixed that, but apparently not.

14. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Unless Dal trade Dirk for T-Mac, there is no hope they will go to finals this year.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's exactly the same problem. Similar cause, too-- overestimating the guys they brought in at bargain basement price.

Last year, it was Snyder, Bonzi, Spanoulis, Lucas, and Novak. This year, it was James, Francis, Bonzi (again), Scola, etc.

#35 Carl Herrera, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  16. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

What you guys seem to not understand is that when T-Mac runs off ball, it is on set plays. T-Mac running off ball won't work unless he has the proper picks set up for him. Over time this will become natural, but right now the team still has little idea of how to run the offense, and it has been taking playcalling from RA for this to happen. He has actually been awesome coming off ball, as seen in the first 2 games of the system when they really focused on T-mac getting into scoring position. T-Mac starts become a poor shooter and decision maker when he is forced into the pick and roll, especially with Yao who simply doesn't have the athleticism to roll into the paint to be a threat as T-mac comes off the pick. It is much more effective with Hayes, and was very effective with Juwan Howard and his midrange jumpshot. But when T-Mac is on an iso on the wing or coming off ball, he has been really, really good this year.

T-Mac, Bonzi, Scola, Hayes and Head have the best instincts for the system as they are very good off ball, and know how to make the proper cuts or position themselves to be effective. It is guys like Alston, James, Francis, Dikembe, and Yao who simply don't fit into the system...and that is fine, but Adelman has to make the proper adjustments, which he has failed to do.