1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fogo de Chao, etc

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DREAMer, Dec 27, 2001.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

My birthday is coming up in a week or so, and the wife wants to know where I'd like to go eat.

I'm thinking Fogo de Chao, or something similar. I know there's another restaurant with the same theme, but I can't remember the name or whether it's crap or not.

If anyone has any other choices, I'd like to hear them. I'm not 100% set on any one kind of food just yet.

I want to go somewhere I haven't been before (and something a little different), so some of the places I've been (for special occasions) are:

Michaelangelo's, Ruggles, Rotisserie for Beef and Bird, Raoul's, The Black Lab, Benihana's, Kobe's, Resa's Steakhouse...

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The other place you are thinking of is called the Rodezio Grill. If it's a choice between Rodezio and Fogo, choose Fogo...the food is much better. If you want a really good steak, rather than the whole "carve the meat off a sword at your table" thing, go to either the Palm or to the Capitol Grille. Other choices are Brennans (upscale Cajun) and Damian's (Italian).

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dreamer trust me on this one:

Fogo is the best steak you are ever going to eat! Dont even think about Rodizillo Grill. That is the other one you are thinking about. Its cheaper and there is a reason why. Its not 1/10th as good as Fogo.

I've been to Fogo plenty of times and I have never ever been disappointed. Lamb chops, filet mignon, top sirloin and bottom sirloin....umm. Just thinking about it makes me hungry. Also if you do go here be sure to try their pina coladas and desserts. You wont find a better overall dining experience anywhere!

4. R0ckets03

Rainbow Lodge also has really reallly really good steak. Nice romantic atmosphere to go with it.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Maybe it was the night that we went but we had a terrible experience at Rainbow Lodge. My mom recommended it and they love it but we were not impressed. Two of our favorite places to go are Marks on Westhiemer (its in an old church) and Pappas Brothers Steakhouse. Yum Yum.

6. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Honestly, as Much as I LOVE Fogo de Chau, I don't think your wife will. For close to $50 a person w/o dessert,if she's going to nibble on greens and a little chicken its not worth it.

I prefer the Churrasco Steak at Americas, the ambiance is nicer, its in the Pavillion where Hermes is.
    Americas is beautiful inside and very classy, the food is wonderful and the menu can also appease others besides red meat lovers.

I go there on dates, yet would never consider going with a girl to Fogo De Chau simply because, most women wouldn't appreciate and don't enjoy my voracious red meat appetite!!

For other steak, I prefer Ruth Chris to Capital Grille, the steak is better but the ambiance at Capital Grille is very nice.
    If you want to go all out high society go to Tony's. Food and everything is great, but dinner will last you at least 2 hours and its quite pricey.

7. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Backstreet Cafe
    Very nice for lunch, never had dinner there, but if I can spend 70 bucks on a delicious lunch I can just imagine how "nice" dinner must be!

8. Colby

Colby Member

Fogo is great. If you love meat, check it out.

I went to Fogo for the first time on my birthday, they had to roll us outa there.

I've been to one of the originals, Porkey's, in Rio de Janero. Its exactly the same, but more casual. Sometimes you forget to turn over your card and they keep bringing meat. We liked the chicken wrapped in bacan and the garlic beef the best.

Don't pass up this chance to eat as much meat as you can.

Those Romans had something going on with the vomatoriums.

9. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I forgot to mention, I'm not one to blow all my life savings on one meal. I think Fogo is about our upper limit, and I'm not sure that's exactly where I want to go.

Places like Pappas Brother Steak House and those like it, are not necessarily out of our price range, but more than I am willing to pay for food.

We hardly ever have dessert. I'm just not a "sweets" person. But, we do often get an appetizer. We may get a bottle of wine, but most likely we'll just stick to tea. I don't like going overboard at a restaurant, even when I'm not paying. This doesn't mean I'm cheap. I still will tip around 20%, but growing up just about dirt poor makes one a little more frugal.

Keep the suggestions coming, and it doesn't have to be steaks. All food types are welcome.... uhh, except vegetarian.

<FONT SIZE="1">sorry Jeff</FONT> :D

10. Old School

Old School Member

Ditto Rainbow Lodge. Very nice setting.

OS

11. R0ckets03

Aldos Con Amore is also very very very nice. Its an upscale, romantic Italian restaurant on Westhiemer.

I've heard Palm and Marks are one of the best restaurants in Houston. I might be going to Marks tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you like Indian, Bombay Palace is the place to go.
    For Chinese, nothing beats PF Changs.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Tacqueria Cancun.

:p

13. Colby

Colby Member

Churascos is another suggestion. Their steak is one of the best in Houston.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Two Words: Pizza delivery.

Mmmmmm...pizza. :)

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Great call on Aldos. Incredible food but not cheap.

16. R0ckets03

Yeah you can say that again.

Its a preset price (ala Fogo) for a five course meal. I dont remember the price but its somewhere around $55 per person. The beef dish I had was very tasty. They have cheeses that alone merit another trip.

17. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'll suggest one name and one name only, Professor PJ Cornucopia's Fantastic Foodmagorium and Great American Steakery.