1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao really most popular player is Asia?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Here in Taiwan I see a lot more Lebron jerseys in Music Videos. I also see more people wearing lebron jerseys. In fact there was a huge mural of lebron on some building. I have yet to see a yao jersey. Which leads me to wonder is Yao ming the most popular player in asia?

2. YugoRocketsFan

No duh? If there was no Yao Ming, those people wouldnt even know who LeBron or any other player was, well at least a handful.

3. jc1988

jc1988 Member

probably not...

i mean according to jersey number sales...the most popular stars in North America are just also the most popular ones in Asia...

i guess high-flying dunks are more fun to watch than fundamental post moves LOL.

4. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

God. U r in Taiwan...not in Chinese Mainland
    Taiwanese have different self-identity. In their eyes, Yao doesn't represent them.

5. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

Also, offensive monsters like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, T-mac, Carter and so forth are more likely to revet basketball fans. But I can skip their matches while missing Yao's match is sth I can't afford.

6. jboslett

jboslett Member

You're definitely a YOF

7. anitasri

anitasri Member

Asia is a continent- just to put things in perpective.

8. awo86

awo86 Rookie

taiwanese has their own stupid pride...had it been a wang chinming

9. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

The only fun in your life is to offend others? So your pride is smart? I don't think other Mainlanders would be proud of your behavior, certainly I don't.

He asked a simple question about jersey sales. In fact, Yao's jersey sale is behind the ones of Kobe, TMac, and AI, EVEN IN MAINLAND CHINA. What pride is that then according to your "smart" logic?

10. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

jersey sell doesn't really mean much about popularity. more of a trend. just more cool to own other players jersey. i mean, come on, it's yao. no introduction is needed. yao is like a national hero.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm betting Sachin Tendulaker is up there with anyone.

12. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Not every fan of the player owns a jersey. Also most people like more than one player. I bet if you do a survey, then Yao ming would be the most popular player in China. Asia, on the otherhand, is a different story.

13. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Why buy a Yao jersey if you've already got one. Yao has been the basketball icon in China for about the last decade. Yao wouldn't be the top jersey seller since fans have had many more years to obtain one and now are purchasing others.

14. hotsouthtree

hotsouthtree Member

Definately yes.
    You know, a Yao fan donot need to buy jersey. 80% fan in Asian will not buy Jersey and they will be Yao fan.
    For me, I am in USA but I still donot buy any jersey too.

15. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Yao is popular in Taiwan, but youngsters obviously don't aspire to be Yao with the way he plays so obviously they will wear jersey of players they could relate more to, such as the popular PGs & wing players.

I think there are easily more Rocket telecasts in Taiwan than any other teams judging from the early season so far.

-G'day-

16. trustme

trustme Member

I thought Taiwan was China.

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think Mike Harris might be the most popular player in China (not Asia) in a couple of years since he's playing there. He's the bestest! Yuss!

18. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Just to add to what I said above, in a couple of major news papers in Taiwan, usually they will devote one article talking about the Rockets, and another one about the rest of NBA, so the popularity of Yao can be observed here.

Lebron does have his fair share of ads around Taipei though.

-G'day-

19. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Most popular player is Asia... Does the name David Beckham ring a bell?

20. yaomac-punch

yaomac-punch Member

You can't answer this question by only using an example of taiwan reigion, and is there any stats to support your point? In fact each country or reigion in Asia has a distinctive self-indentity. In terms of jersey sales, it is known that centers' sales are usually lower than guards', even in China mainland, the most popular jersey sales belong to Kobe, Lebron, and Tmac.