1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3.8% Chance of Making the Finals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Dec 6, 2007.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds
    "Hollinger's NBA Playoff Odds are based on the Hollinger Power Rankings, designed by ESPN.com's John Hollinger.

The Hollinger Power Rankings are a measure of each team's performance in the season so far.

Based on those rankings, each day the computer plays out the remainder of the season 5,000 times to see the potential range of projected outcomes. The results reveal the most likely win-loss record for each team -- and how likely it is for each team to make the playoffs, win the NBA title, win the lottery, and so on.

For more on how the system works and what it means, see Hollinger's explanation.

Hollinger's NBA Playoff Odds are updated automatically each night."

[​IMG]

and an Explanation of how he does it...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PlayoffPredictor-071206

I don't know If it's necessary, but you could move this to the NBA DISH if you wanted to.

2. tomato

tomato Member

seeing the Lakers above us feels like a slap in the face, but I know that at the moment it's true

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

In fact, Jazz is no.3 now, but they only 3 wins ahead rockets. I think we still have a big chance to be one of the top 3 seeds in WC. :)

4. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Now I'm a fan of Hollinger, but we all know how his preseason predictions of the Bulls (and the Rockets too) turned out...

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

As Hollinger stated himself, these percentages only interpolate how teams could do given their play up to this point in the season. In other words, you might as well take our winning pct over 19 games and translate it into 82, THEN add in a standard deviation of say .2 and voila! You have something which is entertaining for NBA fans who--a la Depeche Mode--just cannot get enough, but for the most part something which is also completely and utterly worthless.

The East coast was given an 80% chance to win the championship. THE EAST COAST. If you want to save your time just ignore this whole ESPN gimmick altogether.

6. JSub

JSub Member

Why are you jumping the gun? Nobody expected the Rox to come out of the gates sprinting.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I dunno, how can Lakers be ahead of the Mavs when Mavs have one more win and one less loss. Lakers potential to win 62 games??

And the only way Dallas/Houston/Utah fail to win 40 games is injuries.

8. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Maybe because of the different division they are in??

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am off to Vegas this Sunday, I wonder if the odds for the Rockets as champions has increased.

DD

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It would be interesting to have him plug in last years numbers up to the same point in the season and see who was favored to do what.

11. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Are you going to bet on us?

12. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

never bet against your team.
    this one time i was betting against the Rockets but i wasnt happy when the rockets lost.

13. YugoRocketsFan

These percentages are a fluke, and Hollinger is a PER w****, so nobody take this serious.

14. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

There is no way *this* Rockets team will lose only 14 more games this year. No way.

15. Winrockets

Winrockets Member

That's why its the "best" case scenario. Anyway its how we do in the playoffs that matter :cool:

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Hollinger must be smoking some heavy stuff. Lakers is almost 3 times the chance of Mavs or Rockets. WTF,