1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J Kidd wants out?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket Guy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

he could have bolted to the mavs or spurs,they should just buy him out,and persuade him to come here him come here.... :)

kidd
    steve
    tmac
    scola
    yao

thats a line up!! maybe not starting,but itd be in a certain times.

then unload head and rafer for a another big man

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

Delonte West.

3. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

If that happened I'd **** all over myself with glee. But since it won't, I'll just continue to punch holes in the wall every time Rafer shoots.

4. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Intrestingly enough J Kidd's FG% is only 37.6% this season, about the same as Rafer's 37.2% shooting. His career FG% is 40.2%.

Kidd of course is a HUGE upgrade over Rafer, but we wouldn't be picking him up because he is a great shooter.

5. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

The things this team could do if we had J-Kidd...

6. sbyang

sbyang Member

Billy King did the AI trade, Rod Thorn runs things in NJ. So it might take more to get Kidd.

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Kidd in a Rockets jersey would be a dream come true. I wouldn't get rid of T-mac though. It would have to some how come from a combination of other players and a Kidd demand. I won't be holding my breath though, just crossing my fingers.

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Rafer and our late 1st round pick for Jason Kidd if this fits in the dollars. I would throw in Luther or Mike James if they asked nice

9. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I don't care what his stats say, and FG% is not why I'd want to have him. He affects the game in so many ways that Rafer can't even come close to.

And how many of his missed shots are taken ill-advised a'la Rafer? He sometimes goes entire games taking less than 5 shots...or no shots at all even. Rafer jacks it up no matter what.

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

Kidd For 2 good years would ensure we win at least 1 ring. You dont get these opportunities without rolling the dice. What exactly are we going to lose- with our PG's now, it will be another disastrous playoffs this year.

If NOT KIDD- atleast Miller. Kirk Snyder, Luther head- are unlikely to see time and are desirable pieces, Mike James is expendable if Stevie Steps up.

Do you know the impact on young Aaron if he gets to play Jason? This guys is the closest player to Oscar Robertson- and frankly the stats are useless when you talk of calibre such a Jason Kidd! He will make Carl Landry look like Karl Malone- never mind Luis Scola and Yao!

The history- is when a player demands a trade- the management gets screwed. It takes a lot to get to this point!

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

No, certainly Kidd is an all time great, Rafer is an average at best PG. But like you said FG% is not why you would want Kidd.

12. mms

mms Member

Kidd makes $19,728,000. Ofer, MJ and Shane make $16,260,493. Get it done Morey.

13. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

well yao and tmac need to win now so a 30 something year old kidd is still a championship level point guard, and we need to get rid of rafer before he stabs someone again

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I'd love it ... but it's a total pipedream.

15. cyber-dave

cyber-dave Contributing Member

Kidd is real good.....however....

PLease do not tarnish the memory of Oscar Robertsons NBA career by suggesting Kidd is in his league. Avg a triple double through a whole seaon and increase your shooting percentage before making that comparison.

Not close in my opinion...

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I would be absolutely giddy he somehow found his way to the Cavs or Rockets. In a selfish way I hope this isn't true:

Kidd denies he was on strike.

17. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I know this doesn't mean anything, but thought it was kinda cool...on PTI, Wilbon just talked about possible teams that could/would/should be looking to trade for Kidd, and he mentioned the Rockets.

18. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Well, I've thought about it for awhile, and here are my thoughts on the subject. Before thinking about possible trades, 2 things MUST be considered-

1) What direction is NJ headed in? As opposed to last year during the Bynum-Kidd rumors, Carter is now signed to a long term, expensive contract. And with the FA signings over the summer, I am questioning whether the team believes they have no shot at winning the East and should start rebuilding. If they are to trade Kidd, will they want young players and expiring contracts to start rebuilding, or players they can use to try and continue their winning ways?

2) Will the Rockets REALLY improve with Kidd? Kidd is an amazing player, and growing up in NJ i have seen what he has done to a normally crappy franchise in the Nets. He offers EVERYTHING except scoring. But the thing is, in Adelman's offense, the offense doesn't historically need the kind of offensive player Kidd is. One good example is with the Kings in which Bibby, an average playmaker, led the team to game 7 of the WCF. Another is Phil Jackson's triangle offense, which is extremely similar to Rick's, which has had only 1 PG (Gary Payton) lead the team in assists since it was instituted (and no player averaged more than 7APG in that system). So, while Kidd is amazing, would his style fit with the Rockets, and would what we'd be giving up for him be worth that?

With those things said, the Rockets are VERY capable of landing Kidd on the roster. As I said in the offseason on multiple of other sites, Morey built this team not for keeping the players they added, but because it gave the team a ton of ammo and a great shot to make this kind of deal for a true keeper at a position. Francis/James/Alston/Brooks/Scola/Battier/Wells/Snyder/Landy/Hayes/Head are all very tradable, and they are a good mix of players that you can win with right now, short term contracts and players who have potential.

Now, the most lucrative and balanced deal would probably be Alston/James/Battier/Landry/Head/Novak and a draft pick or 2 for Kidd. They would match up in salary, the Nets fill the void at PG, get a very solid backup SF or solid starting PF in Battier, and then youth and cheap contracts in Head/Landry/Novak.

Another potential deal would be Alston/James/Wells/Snyder/Landry/Head/Novak for Kidd. This once again matches in salary, and gives Nets a few expiring contracts in Wells/Snyder, a 2 year deal in James, as well as a bunch of young players. This is the deal that the Nets would take if they decide it is rebuilding time.

With the first deal, it would be a very balanced deal for both teams. Nets will not get a better offer from any other team, and they get a good balance of players to continue to give them a shot to win now as well as players for the future. Rockets would give up 3 different players who will get virtually no playing time this year, 2 PG's who have not performed and who Kidd greatly trumps, and a SF who can be expendable for the time being. My problem with giving up Battier is that he is our best defender of wing players, best spotup 3pt shooter, and Wells is an expiring contract who, if he leaves or gets injured, gives us some depth problems.

The second deal is a lot more realistic assuming the Nets want to rebuild. The Nets would get a ton of young players and expiring/short term contracts. This is the deal I'd much rather have done as Rockets don't really lose anything, and gain the 2nd best PG in the league.

19. Tornadoofsoul6

Rockets would only have 9 players on the team..And Nets would have 20 :rolleyes:

Anywho...

Thy have VC at SG and Jefferson at SF, what they want (If we they were interested in trading Jkidd to us) would be a young PF/C and a PG with a few role players that come off well off the bench. Also a few expiring contracts and draft picks.

The players we have that the Nets probably are looking for are Steve Novak, Luis Scola, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Snyder, Wells, Alston, maybe Head, and James.

The trade Nets would like is:

Houston trades: Luis Scola, Shane Battier, Kirk Snyder, Rafer Alston, Mike James and a 1st round draft pick.

New Jersey trades: Jason Kidd and (Hopefully) Sean Williams

20. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Actually 10, and Nets could easily trim it down to the necassary 15 by releasing and buying out players, but it was definately overboard on my part.