1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

vanilla sky

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Dec 16, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

anyone else see it this weekend?

any thoughts?

yay or nay?

I won't get into what I thought of it as much. mainly, I'm just curious what others thought.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Everything I've heard and read says that the original (Open Your Eyes) Spanish version is MUCH better than this one.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Well, vanilla sky is definitely a film that you will either love or hate. I myself, thought it was one of the premier movies of the year. Not the best, but deserving of a top 5. As to explain (using the nick nunziata coined phrase) its a mindf-ck. The plot will twist you around and give you quite a ride. This doesn’t always please audiences, as was the case at my screening. Don’t let the negative reviews deter you from this though.

Now, to the film itself. The characters are the drivers in this, with it centered on Tom. He has pulled some fine performances throughout his career but this is right on par with his previous dominating roles. His supporting cast was chosen well with real superstud (not Adam) Jason Lee, Kurt Russell, Penelope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz. I wrote “his” because Cruise is the core, with everyone else aiding. Think Montana to Clark, granted it may not be on that scale but no one is sleepwalking for a paycheck.

What about Abre Los Ojos (open your eyes)? Cameron Crowe has yearned to do this film since he first watched the original just a mere four years ago. You can debate the merit of remakes for infinite lengths, especially one so recent, but they followed the source material suitably.

Either way give I’d say give it a chance, its better than most of the films available except come the nineteenth. Also, its nothing like the trailer makes it out to be.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

HATED IT!!!!

5. Timing

Timing Member

This movie is kind of a tale of two halves. I give the first half of the movie a solid 8. It's starts out as a perfectly fine love/mystery movie but then it suddently turns into an episode of the Outer Limits. I give the second half of the movie a big ole 3. From recent movies I'd rate above Behind Enemy Lines but below Ocean's 11.

Can't wait for Lord of the Rings! The Royal Tenenbaums looks great too.

6. haven

haven Member

Glad you posted, dbc. I wanted to see vanilla sky after I saw the previews, and was disappointed to read all the negative reviews.

Now you've given me an excuse to go anyway ;).

7. chievous minniefield

I'm curious to see the original.

this was a fine example of another movie that was completely mismarketed. of course, I'm sure it will get a big first weekend, which was the goal of the marketers. however, the poster [could it look any more like Jerry Maguire?] and the commercials very much mislead the audience. I think the word of mouth will be bad because of that.

I don't know how I would have felt about this movie if I'd been expecting more of what I got. but I spent most of the movie trying to adjust from what I'd been expecting to what I was getting.

in that sense, it was very much like when I saw AI.

it was like jerry maguire meets citizen kane meets AI.

I think that, if I'd been able to go into this movie without expecting another cameron crowe/tom cruise, I might have enjoyed it better.

penelope cruz is so pretty it makes me hurt.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I still dont know what to think about it, but Penelope Cruz's mole makes the greatest cameo by a body part in the history of cinema.

they definitely took the audience by surprise with this one.

9. chievous minniefield

word on penelope's mole.

WORD!!!!

oh my, I'm sweating.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

mole?

I was too busy staring at her t*** to worry about her mole...

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I went to the bathroom and missed the whole part with Penelope's t***. :(
    I think the girl I was with should make it up to me.

As for the movie, this will kind of spoil it, but it's sort of like Total Recall without the action, mixed with 13th Floor, mixed with a love story about attractive people, mixed with a lot of Penelope and Camaron Diaz's skin.

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The commercial I saw for the movie claims to have some big secret that your not susposed to tell anyone about...is this correct? Looks like a good flick, I cant wait to see it

13. chievous minniefield

sort of. if that's how they've chosen to market it, I think that was smart on their part. that gives people something to expect that the movie will deliver on even when the movie will be unconventional in almost every other way.

don't expect to like this movie if you're not a fan of european art films.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Word. I loved it. Too late to explain why, but I thought it was a great movie.

15. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

It's great to see some support for Vanilla, a lot more pleasing than the disdain that I've been subjected to.

16. Colby

Colby Member

Went to see Lord of the Rings, but it was sold out. Saw VS instead. 3 letters -

S U X

Was about to walk out till I saw the mole scene. Shoulda left. I tried to get a refund, but they weren't having that.