1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Art Briles to Baylor...Official!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joshaaronb, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

I think it is a Great Fit for Briles, I think UH lost a darn good coach.

ESPN

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

4. msn

msn Member

5. noming

noming Contributing Member

Traitor!!! Coog alumi leaving to coach another team in texas!
    Traitor!!!

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

He finished at Tech he is a Red Raider

7. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Good move by Briles. It was time for him to stop coaching at Cooger High. :D

8. msn

msn Member

So he's been a traitor for a couple of decades, then.

9. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Yeah, he was a traitor at Stephenville High for all these years.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why hello, Coog fan. Ready for Rice to stomp a mudhole in you next season? Expect some "lean years", brah

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

*Pity reply*

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

he only went to tech to finish because his parents were killed in a car accident his senior year, so he wanted to be closer to home.. not exactly a raider by choice..

13. msn

msn Member

That's right. Once you leave, you're OUT. :D

Wow; I had no idea.

14. surrender

surrender Member

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

why? cuz we have a way better school than U of H ?

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

17. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I guess Brile's 4 star QB will follow suit! Woot!

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's for the best...Major Applewhite is the next great thing...coogs need to jump on Major before someone else does.

I know there are some people pissed off but seriously this man found a job that was willing to pay him more for doing the same thing he'd been doing for a few years now.

Rest assured he won't be unpacking any boxes because his heart lies in Lubbock...and once the Tech job becomes available he will be the first in line to interview.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

With Bailiff as Rice's coach, UH shouldn't be worried.

20. bwarren

bwarren Member

You know, it was a real punch in the gut when I heard that CAB accepted the Baylor offer. I knew it was only a matter of time, but I figured it would be another year or so before he would move on.

On the other hand, I really like the idea of Major Applewhite coming in here. He has clearly shown an ability to do a lot with very little at Rice, and I think he has done a pretty good job at Alabama (something tells me he had more say at Rice than he does now). Major would be a great fit to come in and replace the offensive system CAB developed at UH.

My big concern with Major is whether he's ready to take on the role of recruiter. His youth might make more than a few parents nervous about sending their kids off to UH with a relatively untested coach. On the other hand, if Major comes in and catches fire, it would be an amazing spark for a program that greatly in need of one.

Dave Maggard has said that there is some pressure to pick a coach who will make a splash, but I'm not sure that there's a good option for that out there. Here's my short list of somewhat splashy coaching prospects that UH has a realistic shot of getting:

1. Jerry Moore -- Current Appalachian State head coach, Baylor alumnus; He's a native of native of Bonham, Texas and started his coaching career at the high school level in Texas. It would be a tad bit splashy while maintaining Texas connections.

2. Gus Malzahn -- Current Co-Offensive Coordinator at Tulsa; Demonstrated success on the high school level in Arkansas and at the college level at Arkansas. Well known for the whole Mitch Mustain debacle at Arkansas.

3. Charlie Stubbs -- Current Offensive Coordinator at Louisville, formerly same position at Tulsa.

3. Jeff Brohm -- Current QB Coach at Louisville and older brother of current Louisville QB Brian Brohm

Anyway, I thought those might be some of the splashier selections -- nothing spectacular, but something tells me Maggard isn't going to run out and get Franchione or Lloyd Carr.

Thoughts?