1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao shoot a 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TeamUSA, Nov 29, 2007.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

I think that was when against Sacramento Kings.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Warriors. Thre's a footage in the first page of this thread.

3. kwng

kwng Member

I agree he is not very confident now and will likely to miss if he is not confident.
    He was a good 3s shooters before he joined NBA.

4. zong

zong Member

You must talk CBA, not NBA, the NBA's three are far from the basket than CBA.

5. Boomzilla

Boomzilla Member

i don't think he should be shooting the 3. he's capable of shooting mid-range but not the 3.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is how Yao will extend his career later on.
    As a big man camped out at the 3 point line in Manut Bol fashion :eek:

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If he's going to take shots just inside the 3 point line, he might as well take them just outside the 3 point line. The former is the worst shot in basketball, and the former is worth an extra point.

8. Seth

Seth Member

I think there are lot of BigĀ“s with nice JS that could translate into 3 pointers if they wanted to.

Yao, Gasol, Duncan, Stoudemire... the way Scola shoots seems to me that if he wanted he could also hit the 3, the fact is that there are guys that already have that job and you always prefer big guys near the rim to get easy points and second chances.

9. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Many times, Yao is the last one coming to the front court, the other team just leaves him open beyond the arch. Since we have so many good rebounders in their positions, I think it is not a bad choice to shot a couple 3s from time to time to open the lane a little bit more if in that case Yao can have a above 40% 3pt FG%. :D

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

His last attempt was against Goldenstate in San Fran with SFrancis on the court....So francis and Yao should do the same thing again tonight against Goldenstate.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Oakland, San Fran,....whatever

12. blastaway

blastaway Member

ROFL....GOOD POINT! :eek:

13. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well to have better discussion, let's see the actual situation in tonight's game with Phoenix Suns.

[​IMG]

IMHO, in that kind of situation, he should attempt the 3-pointer. Why not? He is completely open, and there are no other Rockets in better positions within the paint or at the perimeters for him to pass.

He has the range, and he has won thousands of dollars in the past from Tom Thibodeau and the assistant coaches from making his trey in team practices.

In fact, from the above GIF/VID, I think he initially wanted to shoot.....but as posters said, he might not have the confidence, and he hesitated for split seconds, and as his team mate came up to him, he just passed the chance. Or he thought there is still ample of time on the shot clock, that he should not waste the possession, and therefore gave up his 3-pointer attempt, and instead passed the ball out to Steve Francis (?) to re-initiate another offense.

#33 pryuen, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  14. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

As much as I wanted Yao to shoot that 3 last night in Phoenix, had he made it...it would've been a 2. His foot was over the 3-point line. You can clearly see the official (at the bottom of the video) indicating that it was going to be a 2 point shot.

15. ahbuchen

ahbuchen Member

It was against warriors and I was at the game.

16. blivo

blivo Member

When they were interviewing one of the guards during a post-match interview, i cant remember which one, they were talking about how during practice and in pre-game warm ups he practices them and makes them as well, but the guard joked and said that coach doesnt want him shooting those in a game..

17. blackbird

blackbird Member

Yao can shoot 3 or any long range shoot.

2007-2008:
    short range, 69/113, 61%
    mid range, 50/113, 44%
    long range, 13/30, 43%

2006-2007:
    short range, 261/460, 57%
    mid range, 150/331, 45%
    long range, 12/28, 42%

Who said that Yao is average outside of 10 feet? It is JVG. I love coach Rick, who give Yao a green light to shoot at outside.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Anyone can shoot a 3...making it is another story.

Honestly I don't see how he can be worse than Rafer he was to just spot up and shoot.