1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Albert Connell a thief???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Htownhero, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I was watching PTI and they said that Connell was caught on video camera stealing money out of McAllister 's pants pocket. This is the article on tsn......prankster or thief, you make the call.

Connell, Saints see parting in different terms

December 18, 2001 Print it

NEW ORLEANS -- Legal issues are clouding Albert Connell's suspension by the New Orleans Saints.

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department is looking into the actions that led to the wide receiver being disciplined by the team.

"The matter is under investigation," said sheriff's department spokesman Col. Bob Garner. He would not comment on when or why the investigation began.

The Saints suspended Connell on Monday for the final four games of the season and fined him an additional paycheck "for conduct detrimental to the team." Neither the Saints nor Connell's agent, Peter Schaffer, would specify what Connell had done.

"It was a regular locker-room prank," Schaffer said. "It was the typical kind of thing a veteran would do to a rookie."

Saints general manager Randy Mueller refused to discuss the incident, as did coach Jim Haslett.

"That's out of my hands," Haslett said. "That's out of the organization's hands right now, and I'll let the due process take control of that."

Saints No. 1 draft pick Deuce McAllister refused to comment on reports he was the target of Connell's actions.

"I'm not going to comment on anything to do with that," McAllister said. "Albert is a good friend of mine and I wish he was still on the team. We could use him while we're trying to get into the playoffs."

Although Saints officials said Connell no longer is part of the organization, Schaffer said Connell still believed he was a member of the team.

"What we're trying to do is work with the Saints to resolve this," Schaffer said. "Albert wants to remain with the team. He was happy when they signed him as a free agent and he hopes to stay in New Orleans."

Connell was inactive for the game with the Atlanta Falcons on Dec. 9 and cleaned out his locker the next day. Team officials at first denied Connell had packed his belongings, but later in the week Mueller acknowledged Connell was gone and would not play again for the team this season.

"Obviously, Albert has some issues he is dealing with," Mueller said. "And we probably have some issues with Albert."

The Saints signed Connell this spring, hoping he would add an additional deep threat to their passing game. Connell caught just 12 passes for 191 yards and two touchdowns in 11 games.

Connell, who signed a five-year, $14 million contract in March, was paid $1.5 million of his $2.5 million bonus at the time. The remaining $1 million was to be paid in three installments in 2002. Monday's suspension jeopardizes Connell receiving those payments.

Connell was fined $29,411, or 1/17th of his $500,000 base salary. The four-game suspension will cost Connell $117,647 in salary, bringing the total money he'll forfeit to $147,058.

Connell could file a grievance with the NFL Players Association, but Schaffer seemed to rule that out -- at least for now.

"We would like a harmonious resolution to this," Schaffer said. "We don't want to make this any bigger deal than it is."

Copyright 2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Junior Seau and the rest of the San Diego defense stole Ryan Leaf's credit card and ran it up $5,000 when Leaf was a rookie. Leaf was really pissed off, but the organization didn't do jack because multimilliondollarsigningbonus Leaf was just being subjected to the typical rookie treatment. Leaf was seen as a crybaby by the team.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I would agree with the Monday night football Guys, it's not a practical joke when you mess with somebody's money. That's a very dangerous joke.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Connell, what a waste of decent talent, what a loser. Makes sense why the Skins let him go without much of a fight.

Sounds to me like he is a thief, it wasn't like he was part of a group doing it, and even that (Seau situation) to me seems questionable. Leaf is a crybaby and whiner, but maybe his new Charger teammates didn't exactly have his back because of envy or something. Maybe it was a tougher situation than I realized.

5. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Seau gets the star treatment; Connell gets the door!

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What do you expect from an Aggie?

7. Major

Major Member

I still don't understand this. How much money could Deuce have in his pants? Connell makes $500,000 a year and got a $2m or so signing bonus! He truly is a dumbass.

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Connell's been stealing a paycheck all year.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Connell just isn't use to decline in pay from college to the pros.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I guess my memory was a little off. The situation was basically as I said, but a little different.

Chargers owner Alex Spanos once commenting from afar on Leaf’s practice: "I paid thirty million dollars for that ****?" A fan jeering Leaf at a practice and then watching ol’ Ryan storm to the field perimeter and then needed to be restrained from hitting the confrontational spectator. Even a hazing event in 1998 when Junior Seau and a group of veteran Charger players took Leaf out to dinner and then preceeded to use his credit card to pay for the entire event: an affair which reportedly cost in excess of three thousand dollars.

http://home.surewest.net/jutter/RisensRostrum.htm

So I'm pretty sure these two cases are different. I don't know what the fukk Connell was thinking.

And RM95, shut the fukk up. :)

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I doubt Connell was playing a rookie prank on Deuce. Don't you think Deuce and/or Connell's other teammates would have already come to his defense?

I don't think it has anything to do with Connell not being a star player. Well, I think the punishment would have been less severe if Connell had been a star player, but he still would have been suspended.

Connell must have been on something...its the only explanation.