1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes's FT's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Nov 24, 2007.

1. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

in for the vid.

2. SmitingPurpleEm

He was shooting them with at least some consistency last year. Yes he had a massive hitch, but the stroke was consistently hitched. He made them 60% of the time too.

This year he just looks like he's throwing the ball at the rim. He crossed himself up so bad he committed a lane violation. I wonder when teams will go to the hack-a-Chuck like they did at times last year if he continues to look completely hopeless at the line.

3. 99bb

99bb Member

yes, He is not better off after changing his shooting form. The coaching stuff should do something :mad:

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

how can he not bend his knees down and go back up?

Its like he falls asleep in the middle of his free throws.

5. Boomzilla

Boomzilla Member

his shot is even uglier than Shaq's. maybe yao should teach him how to shoot as a bigman.

6. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Last night, when Chuck was fouled, his body language made me think that he had commited a loose ball foul. He was sulking as if he was whistled. Turned out he had to go to the line and shoot free-throws. :D

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That famous theme from Benny Hill would be perfect. Also, anyone else think his free throw actually looks worst this year? Honestly, I think it's too late to change your shot. He should just keep trying to make free throws with his form that he's been most comfortable. Look at Shawn Marion and his funky jumper. I'm sure many people in his life told him to change his shot but he said f*ck them and made the NBA.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Chuck just has a lot of nerves. It might also be why he almost never attempts a shot away from the basket. He's capable of hitting the free throws, and even a 10-foot jumper -- he showed it in college. But on the big stage of the NBA, he lacks that confidence. Very peculiar.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

actually with chuck hayes at around 6"6 i do not think he is qualified as a big man.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This will bite the team in the arse at some point, other team's will foul him late intentionally and he will go to the line and suck.

DD

11. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Well you would hope Adelman has the smarts to take out Chuck in crunch times to avoid that

I remember reading in his blog that he gets nervous and has a twitch so that's why it looks like hes stumbling or however you want to describe it

12. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

That's ridiculous. No one takes his free throws more seriously than Chuck. He worked diligently all summer.

Its a yip. A physiological reaction to stress. In other words, its all in his head. See: Berhard Langer.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I hate to laugh at players especially at someone like Chuck, but when Clyde Drexler said after Hayes's freethrow (Chuck we need to talk), that had me in stitches. There is absolutely no excuse for him to have that fadeaway hitch at the freethrow line. Incredible. I don't blame Hayes for his shot, I blame each and every coach that has ever coached him. That ugly shot is correctable. Not even Shaquille Oneals shot is that ugly.

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

shooting with a completely different form is not as easy as everyone's making it out to be. he was making his ft's decently last year. if it works then he should stick to it.

15. blastaway

blastaway Member

Why are the Rockets so against their own old Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy? It's sad that they mistreat and ignore him because the man likes to make babies. So what, somebody has to make them other than me! :D

Seriously, Calvin should at minimum be an announcer for this team, cause all of the SUCK like Wafer except for Bill when he is working with Calvin. Next best he should be the free throw shooting coach on this team since he holds the record for most free throws made consistently, shows he knows a thing or two about them. We all know free throws can not only win games, but championships! Next he should be like the first assistant coach because he knows basketball better than anyone on the Rockets bench for sure. And he aint afraid to get in the stars face and tell them what they need to be doing out there because he has done it and is a Hall of Famer, where they all would love to be.

Finally, someone needs to let this man be the head coach of a team. He basketball knowledge far exceeds so many coaches in the league. People need to stop tripping on how many women he has had or what color suit he wears. Almost ALL NBA players have a woman that they sleep with in every different city anyway, and many that they are floating and paying all the bills for. It's part of the NBA culture. Wives are just to portray you are doing it right. So they need to stop being hypocritical and holding all of Calvin's kids against him. He was just a typical NBA player when he made all of them.

Just my two cents! :D

16. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Wasn't it in the newspaper that said Chuck can make all his free throws in practice, but can't in the game due to nerves?

I was at the game and after Chuck misses his first FT badly, the crowd started cheering/encouraging him. He still missed the second one though. :D

17. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

It is not the hitch. It is the form. He could contribute hugely if he had a 12 foot jumpshot but he'll never have that with his current form.

18. BaMcMing

Yeah, cause our staff teaches everyone to pause before releasing their shot. Yep. Definitley the form

Come on dude, it is sooooo obvious that he tightens up and hitches.

19. BaMcMing

Where is Hayesfan when I need him?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Uh, have you listened to him on the radio? His basketball knowledge is questionable, to put it mildly.