1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard - best center in the world?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ymc, Nov 23, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I missed wednesday's game, but in the other games, Yao's defense has been as good as ever. Have you seen Dwight's defense?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've seen both guys play defense. I've NEVER heard anyone say Yao's defense is much better than Howard's. In fact, most non-Rockets fans don't think Yao's defense is that good. So when you say Yao's defense is "as good as ever", that isn't saying a whole lot. Yao is tall and takes up a lot of room, but his lack of hops, timing and foot speed is a major problem. Even at his age, Deke was a much better defender than Yao last season. (Unfortunately, this season, Deke has clearly lost another step or two).

3. God's Son

God's Son Member

there is no think hes definitly better than yao now and is not a puss like him

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Ya, the kid is amazing. MUCH better than Amare IMO. With that said, he is getting a lot of points on easy dunks right now and that's not going to last. He need to at least work on that Shaq baby hook. But if he can get that baby hook, and maybe add a little rang to his game. He could be better than Shaq, not to mention Yao.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What seperates Dwight & Yao is athleticism. Dwight has it in bunches...how good he wants to be just depends on how hard he wants to work on adding skill and moves. With Yao, the lack of athleticism will always be an issue. There is nothing that he can do about it.

All of the top centers were big and athletic (Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq). Yao will never be.... :(

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Another thing that separates them is free-throw shooting.

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If Dwight can develop a consistent go-to move, then he'll be crazily good. Not to mention he's such a hard player to hate. He's not a prick like Shaq and Amare, but can also develop a mean streak when he feels like it.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I will take his take any of there production on BOTH ends of the court, than Yao"s free-throw shooting.

9. God's Son

God's Son Member

sadly him and shaq shoot more than 10% higher than yao from the field so that makes up for it

10. Icehouse

FT shooting really isn't that important for your center. Yes, it's great that Yao can shoot 90% but that's a bonus. Past title teams show you really don't need your center to be a league leader in that category.

11. Icehouse

Just watched the Magic game. Howard is a bigger physical presence in the paint than Yao...yes, already. He doesn't have Yao's skillset down there...but he is quick and athletic, and can hold his position better (stronger). It's a lot easier to get him the ball and that fronting garbage does not work.

I say it again...if he learns some skillsets then it's over. Athletic beats + skillsets = serious trouble....

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I just watched a highlight on SportsCenter and it consisted of the following ....

Jameer Nelson lobs ball to basket for Howard dunk
    Hedo Turkoglu lobs ball to basket for Howard dunk
    Carlos Arroyo lobs ball to basket for Howard dunk
    Keith Bogans lobs ball to basket for Howard dunk
    Jameer Nelson lobs ball to basket for ... another Howard dunk

Magic win.

If that's all they're doing -- just throwing it up there and letting him catch and dunk ... and it's THIS effective, then wow. I know the dude has an insane vertical for a big man, but still, wow.

13. Icehouse

Being athletic allows you to make an impact even if your skillsets aren't up there. In Howard's case he is athletic and strong as hell. He seems to hold post position better than Yao (he can move faster) and passes don't have to be pinpoint because he can go get the ball.

14. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

maybe tmac should have waited a few more years for dwight to develop before asking to be traded to a team with a dominant big man......... :p

15. kungfueurotrash

Wow, dud that was really harsh... I hate to hear criticism's like that but when it's true it hurts like hell. The way the rockets are playing right now, i don't think i can justify that answer you just gave....

16. kungfueurotrash

All i can say is when your Asian in a predominately black league, it's tough to get credibility or any love even for sub par performance during the month of November... I agree, Dwight Howard is a monster right now but he's the only optional scorer for the magics besides RL...... How many good center are there in the league??? The coaching by RA is somewhat conflicting with yao's game right now... So wait until the season is over to make that assumption... All i can say is that The Super Bowl couldn't even outnumbered the ratings against a regular season game in the early stages of november, and the Chinese didn't even use an marketable skills like the United States...
    You can't hold us down baby, Asians are going to conquer this world like a viking on a burning ship....

17. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

unless tmac kept slacking off or a lot more injury, magic won't get the lottery pick every year until they got howard.

18. BayAreaG510

BayAreaG510 Member

Dwight Howard chokes everytime he plays Amare'. And besides, Dwight can't guard Yao.

19. God's Son

God's Son Member

means nothing because yao always plays well against traditional big men cause hes even bigger and does not have to worry about cheating defenses

20. Boomzilla

Boomzilla Member

dwight howard is just so much fun to watch. i mean he is 22 and almost unstoppable. what about the next 3 to 5 years.