1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why does Yao get no respect from Stern and his staff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ikarus, Nov 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hangxy

hangxy Member

What Stern is interested in is money NBA can make from Chinese market. I believe Stern wants Yao to succeed to some extent. But NBA culture does not want to see a Chinese become a hero by winning NBA champion. Just look at the final two years ago. Dirk is more acceptable than Yao in NBA, but still less important than Wade who can do whatever he wants to do.
    Look at "powerful" TD who struggled so much in international basketball games without referees' blessing that he had to quit. NBA games are hijacked by referees.

2. mxiong17

mxiong17 Member

To be honest, it's all about race and color of skin. Not intentionaly, but rather subconsciously.

非我族类,其心必异。

3. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Stern and NBA are b****s of $$$. Yao is too nice a person to hurt Stern $$$-wise. If he says something, NBA can easily loss tens of millions of dollars. That is the only way to get respect in this screwed up system: use your leverage.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think calls concerning Yao have gotten better... but still not great. I actually believe the nba wants Yao to prosper - to garner the increasesd fan base. The problem is... do you call a game tight or let them play - which benefits Yao? On the one hand, Yao (especially earlier on) was guilty of alot of ticky tack fouls - reaching in on smaller and faster players, letting players who lead with their body draw the foul, etc... Then on the otherhand, if you don't call fouls, Yao just gets manhandled by more aggressive players. The problem is the problem the NBA has always had with officiating - no consistency. The best case scenario is getting equal calls from one end of the court to the other - but consistant calls from one night to the next to the next - doesn't happen. That's what I think hurts Yao the most. If he had consistent officiating he'd adjust and do fine... but in adjusting to different calls each night he struggles. It's been my hope that with the whole Donahue thing, the NBA would tighten its reigns on the refs and not leave so much up to interpretation - hasn't happened.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

You either let the big guys wrestle like the old days or call it like you call it on small guys. Consistency is all I am asking for. If Yao is allowed to pushed, wrestled on one end, he has pass to do the same on our end. If he is called tic-tac touching, tripping, stand-straight-manu/kob-jump-into foul, then dont call him while he shoulder down, or elbow down on the other end.

6. meiying

meiying New Member

the refs don't believe a yellow man from Asia.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

that being your 2nd post in 1 1/2 + years makes me think you're.. i don't even know what to say. To not post anything and then come out with that.. just weird.