1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis = The Popular "Backup QB" in Football Speak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by patricktyip, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Steve Francis - the Rex Grossman of basketball

2. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I'm not hating on this thread, but I should never underestimate the number of ways people can disguise their "WE WANT STEVE" threads.

3. zong

zong Member

This same person must say the same thing about Wells last year, then you see what happens this year. Francis can still play as a backup guard, he is not a useless player, the time will tell it.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Stevie has had bad tendonitis in his knee and is nowhere near the player he was when he was here before. Fans want to remember him the way he was when he was the lone bright spot on a mediocre team. But many didn't really keep track of him in Orlando and New York (how's that for love and loyalty) and don't know that he's not the same player anymore (even though there are occasional glimpses). Some guys just get older faster than others.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

that's how it would be, he would either be really great for us or our death touch.

As bad as Grossman was in some games last year, in other ones, he looked like a top 5 or 7 QB, but when he gets in Brett Favre mode...he'll start throwing interceptions.

Francis in some games would be great for us, but in others he would be chucking like crazy.

6. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I just think that Rafer has been sooooo bad that people are thinking that Steve can't be much worse. I guarantee if Rafer was playing at just an average level, the cries for Steve Francis wouldn't have come up. But Rafer is bad. Steve may be just as bad too, but noone has seen it yet in a regular season game, and I think that is what most want to see now.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rafer Alston = David Carr.

8. rocketsmetalspd

I would hold off on writing SF3 off as has been player. I want to see him get Luther's minutes to make up my mind on SF3.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the problem is, you don't get to make up your mind when adelman already did.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Rafer = Brad Johnson
    Steve = Rob Johnson

Sure it seems like Steve should be better, but somehow it just doesn't translate to Ws.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

with all your wisdom, you missed the part where Steve was traded by the Knicks on draft night for Zach Randolph to the Trailblazers. Portland bought out Steves contract...

so why did Orlando, NY, and Portland give up on him?

he is sitting on the bench for a reason, wise one...

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

According to Clutch's report, he is half-hearted about the training program offered by the coaches to get him into shape. If it's about loyalty and love, why isn't he working hard for the organization he loves so much?

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Seriously, no more francis threads. Post it in one of the current threads. Stop the clutter, stop the clutter. ;)

14. because24

because24 Member

I'm starting to believe that all the people that keeping stating ("if you seen a Steve Francis game last year with the Knicks you would know that he's washed up") didn't see a game themselves. Well I've seen all of them; I didn't miss one. Well he's far from washed up. We can debate this all day and I'll try to keep this short. Francis was the odd man out; The two starters previous were Jamal and Stephon. Jamal was Isiah first free agent major signing as GM and Stephon on most accounts was the face of the Knicks. Francis came in against The owner and GM best ideas, but the coach wanted him to eventually replace Stephon. Steph and Franchise bonded so it backfired. Francis came in deferring to much to Steph, so that didn't work ( both starters ) in the first eleven games; so they switched Jamal and Franchise role ( sixth man and Starter ) Jamal shooting avg. though dipped in the 20 percentile range, while Francis thrived and avg. 19pts a game. Then Isiah started playing Francis 15 minutes a game just to bring Jamal off the bench and play 40 or so minutes, just because Jamal was doing better coming off the bench. Francis became more and more Frustrtated, so he took a long leave of absence from the team that didn't want him there anyway because even Steph start taking cheap shots at Francis through the media (after the year prior Francis stood by him against Brown). The buyout never happened that both sides were aiming for, Francis came back and avg 26 pts 5rebs, and 5ass thet final 4 games as a starter ( give or take a point here or there ). BTW the last few games he was the fastest most athlectic player from either side. By this time Jamal was injured, this was the only time Francis was allowed to play without Isiah pulling him out to favor another player. For those that state that they seen Francis play in NY, did they not see his last forur games?

15. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

OMG 4 games that's the perfect indicator of how much someone has left in the tank. All i have to go by is the reports out of training camp and practice which happened after your 4 freaking magical games in which the knicks were out of the playoff chase. You wonder why steve got all those minutes to put up those stats? Its because they were mathmatically eliminated from being able to make the playoffs. Steve is probaly still an adequate player but he doesnt have much more going for him to push rafer or mike out of the rotation. A rotation that is beating good teams. Steve's not gonna get better any time soon and rafer and mike cant get any worse because according to this bbs they are the worst two point guards in the nba. I did see knick games and i saw steve not playing defense in all of them. I saw Thomas pull him out of games for his lack of D. I saw the same ballhogging chucker whenever the other ballhogging chucker gave him the ball. Steve can put up all the freaking stats he wants but is that gonna win games? No! How about someone give us an example of teams winning games because of steve instead of giving the same bs............. oh he put up stats............oh he has talent............oh he was an allstar............. i want to hear steve francis wins games and no one can say that.

16. because24

because24 Member

Well while Steve was with the Rockets he took a team with no all stars no first, second, or third team members all NBA squad, or USA team members to a 45 win record. Hed led the team in points, rebounds, assist, and steals. Before you diminish that; name another player in the last ten years that has done the same. This was before Yao; this is the Carlos Rogers days. Oh yeah its not quite a Championship. But no one and I mean no one can say that on this team other than Mike James. Please reply with facts not personal feeling.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a sweet post. I like how you said 'Backup QB' and mention Aaron Brooks!
    [​IMG]

18. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

All's I'll say is that the most memorable thing Steve Francis has done, IMO, over the last three years is get away with one of the most blatant travels on a breakaway that I've ever seen.

Five steps easy.

19. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Man im not talking about the past. Im talking about the present. Give me facts about current years, NY Knicks, Orlando, Portland years. I dont give a crap what he did for the last 10 years. Shaq was one of the most dominant players in the last 10 years and now he's trash holding his team back. Steve francis doesn't do things NOW he did things in the past.

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

You mean Rafer is Rex Grossman and Franchise is Griese. Griese the veteran completely outplayed Grossman when he got the start and Grossman got benched.