1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quality of Posters/Threads and the like

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by SLrocket, Nov 10, 2007.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

This is the Feedback Forum.

My biggest complaint is the outright player bashing. Once upon a time that used to be what fans of other teams did, not Rocket fans. Posters need to be called out on it and should be told it's not acceptable. Player bashing gets you kicked from the chat, I don't get why it's cool here. They should be given hell.

2. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Early on, this board was made up of mostly ENTHUSIASTS and not just FANS. You don't have to know much about basketball to be a fan. Now as the the make-up of the posters on this board changes toward more fans the quality of the posts may dip correspondingly. Such is life. The grammar and spelling is atrocious even with the spell checker that has been added, which few people seem to use. Of course I would have no chance to post on a chines board in chines so I respect the Chinese posters for making the attempt.

Bottom line, I have been on the board long enough to recognize the names of thread starters and posters that I have an interest in reading their opinion.

#22 krocket, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The early days of the board had a much higher signal to noise ratio. That's one reason I lurked for so long -- I thought it would be out of place for me to post and derail a thread when I knew I had no right to argue with people who knew the game much better than I did.

I learned an awful lot about the NBA by reading and keeping my mouth shut, but at this point I feel like Red Auerbauch compared to many of the posts I see today.

It isn't foreign posters who bother me. I won't get my panties in a bunch over grammar and spelling by people who aren't native English speakers. What bothers me are the semi-literate kids typing in all-caps and writing as if they are text messaging their friends on their cellphones.

4. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

I get your point but you are an idiot to single out the posters from a certain country only. They might be the majority of the new members but how in the world do you know all the annoying posts are made by them?

What do you think about the TOFs who fight every negative comment about Tmac 24 hours a day and often defend Tmac at the expense of dissing the other Rockets player? Don't get me wrong. I love Tmac too. But I am pissed off those TOFs too, are you?

And what do you think about the dude who insulted everyone because they want Yao on the Tmac more than Kobe? Is he Chinese too?

This was a good thread which started going downhill when you tried to single out certain posters from a specific region. What a way to ruin your own thread.

5. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

want Yao on the 'team' more than Kobe

6. MacFu

MacFu Member

Your grammar gives me a good laugh too.

One of the capitalization rules that we learned in elementary school: Capitalize the name of languages, races, nationalities, and religions.

7. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

are you offended? if so, sorry. no need to come at me with sorry comebacks.

EDIT: i shouldn't have singled out a region. more that I think about it, it's just BAD GRAMMAR by people in general. Using 3s instead of Es and stuff like that. It just annoys me

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Criticism of Rockets players per se doesn't bother me (I mean, if Luis Scola gets caught peddling kiddy p*rn, that probably deserves criticism), but the insistance in making the same one-line "XXXX SUCKS PERIOD!!!" posts over and over and over and over and OVER is very annoying.

As if we never heard it before.

It would be better to facilitate discussion if people would least back up their argument with actual evidence, be it video clip or statistics. Otherwise, the whole conversation deterioriates.

Also, the BBS, I think, may be better off if the profanity bleeping software also bleeps out the words "hater" and "lover" if used right after the name of a Rocket. It's the most annoyingly overused term ever. People who can't make actual arguments inevitably resort to these words-- i.e. "You Steve haters just don't want him to shine because you are Rafer lovers!!!"

9. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

Yeah, I was offended by you having singled out the posters from a specific country/region only. The comebacks are not sorry, your post that I quoted is. But since you know your mistake now. It's cool.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just wondering where all that data and facts are in THIS POST where you are making racial bias inferences.

But I am sure your whining in this thread was directed at everyone else and not yourself.

SHEESH !!

DD

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Another thought: Make members earn posting privilege by passing a Rockets History Exam designed by tinman. :D That would weed out some low quality posts.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly!

i think we should automatically delete users who hate on Rocket greats who have done WAY MORE for the ROCKETS than some r****d posters.

People I like to see deleted:
    Calvin Haters
    Kenny Haters
    Charles Haters
    Maxwell Haters

If you don't respect what these guys have done for the Rockets, then you shouldn't be here.

I know Magic Johnson has done boneheaded stuff (cheated on his wife, done stupid shows), but I never see Laker fans hate on him, or Worthy (hookers) or Kareem (Weed) or Shaq (horrible movies), or Kobe (trade Shaq, rape girls)

At least Laker, Celtic, Bulls fans have a sense of respect for their historical heroes. Why not us Rocket fans?

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh they also need to get rid of these TMZ posters,
    who whine and cry like Paris Hilton with a broken nail hen [anybody on tv, Homer Simpson, Steven A Smith, Joel Olsteen] doesn't predict the Rockets to win it all.

all these douchebags of 'Rocket' fans are worse than Jazz fans.
    Respect is earned and who cares what the critics say anyways, its not like the critics determine what the Rockets do.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

LOL, ah thats good stuff.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have a spell checker now?? :eek:
    When did this happen.

16. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

It happens as you type in words. If they are spelled wrong the word will be underlined with a red line. You may then correct the word if you know the correct spelling or post it like it is. It is not sophisticated but effective if you stop to look at it.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Unless that player's name is Rafer Alston...

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't know what's worse: the YOF threads or long time members starting "Francis" threads.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Every regular season start as far back as I can remember has had a couple of these Feedback threads bemoaning the depreciating quality of GARM posts. Either (a) the BBS has been getting steadily worse over the last decade, or (2) people who post in the offseason are better than people who only post during the season. Either way, it is a reality of this board, learn to expect it -- even embrace it.... Well, learn to expect it anyway.

I have a new item to add to the xOF lexicon by the way. ROF: Rockets Only Fans. These are people who only care about the team and winning and don't give a damn about any of the players. They are pervasive and would throw their own grandmother or superstar under a bus to eke out one more win for the Rockets' regular season.

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

not new JV :p

if search were up, it would first show that term used back during the "First YOF Migration"

its the only xOF term I will use...the other ones are thrown around so much they have lost all original meaning.