1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade Brad Lidge

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ak47, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Georock

Georock Member

For what is worth, Luke Scott is right now playing in Venezuela, with Magallanes, he's hitting .212, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 11 SO in 47 AB's. But, both of his homers came in teh last four games, as well as 6 of his 6 RBI's.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Some interesting tidbits in the winter meetings recap:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5286405.html

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I have to say I like what Wade has been doing thus far...he's taking a proactive approach instead of reactive...something Purp never really did.

I would have liked to perhaps have kept Lidge, but I think it probably was necessary; he needed to get out of Houston. And the talent we got for him was decent enough. But it's nice to see Wade was trying to sell high first.

Too early to tell if the moves he makes will pan out...but I like the fact that he's changing the roster, and not in a band-aid type of way.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

With all this payroll flexibility (ha) maybe we can package Bourn, Costanzo, and Paulino to the Marlins for Willis and then go sign Rowand. Sounds good to me!

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

I like the fact he's willing to make a move and not just sit around with his thumb up his ass. Bourn could be one immediate impact for us with his ridiculous speed perfect for our death valley centerfield and he's a good contact hitter with good to better than average potential to improve greatly. He looks like a solid choice for CF and we got him early before he's value would equate that of the national debt. Torii nice idea but, how much and he's how old? We need to learn from our "quick fix" mistakes and get it right. Should we be able to get D-Train and Cordero then, this is the makings of a very successful offseason for the astros. ;)

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

bourn was traded to start in CF, they are out of the hunter/rowand sweepstakes.

7. MaxwellsTemper

I'm guessing Scott is most likely to get moved, hopefully for some pitching. My dream situation would be Scott/Burke for a SP, and we sign Castillo to man 2B.

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Who do you think we can get for Scott/Burke? D-Train? He did have an off year this last year is possible.

9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I like the deal, although Lidge was coming around.

But we got young prospects and a decent centerfielder. That's the whole purpose of any deal, so it's okay by me.

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

to update, many in the astros front office now prefer tad iguchi to castillo. I'd be thrilled with either, or even loretta. I'm sort of wait and see on matsui.

11. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Thanks for all the stuff you posted in this thread The Cat.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

no way; i truly doubt the astros have much to offer for a front-line starter unless they're willing to deal pence and/or patton. if they are going to part with patton, i'd think i'd prefer peavy to willis.

lidge was far and away their most tradeable commodity. beyond him... the choices thin out considerably. qualls would draw interest but that would wipe out your bullpen completely.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd offer albers/scott for kazmir. and burke as needed.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

???

You realize that other teams would blow that offer out of the water? If Kazmir cost only the quality of players of Scott/Albers, the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, etc. would grab him before Drayton could say "champion."

Willis should be significantly cheaper than any of those other guys because he's nowhere near as good.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i didn't say we'd win. but i think that's all we have to offer. i wouldn't offer pence. i'd consider patton, but i'm not positive of that.

16. justtxyank

Oh ok I misunderstood you. I thought you expected that to get Kazmir in return.

For what it's worth, Kazmir is a guy that you should be willing to give up Patton for.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

love that guy...altho it wouldnt shock me to see Kazmir end up being the crown jewel of the trading deadline later in the season

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Patton and Burke/Scott for Kazmir.....not sure if thats enuf but id give up Patton in a Kazmir deal for sure

19. justtxyank

It's not a terrible deal, but the problem the Astros are going to have is that other teams have a lot more to offer.

20. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

What about a scott, costanzo, albers for kazmir deal? I think that we have the right two or three man combo in our asset pool (Gutierrez, Paulino, Patton, Costanzo, Flores, Einerton, Scott, Burke, Wandy, Albers, Nieve) to get a Kasmir deal done.