1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poential Issue? - Yao's Increased Minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think Adelman is throwing Yao to the wolves to force him adjust to a style and play different from JVG's. Establish outside game to conserve energy, and then bring it inside down the line.

Any coach would realize that with Yao and Tracy's history, playing them too many minutes would wear them down later in the season. It's too early to tell if Yao will continue to play the minutes he's playing.

2. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

We're paying him 15 mil a year. He should work his ass off, and he does.

3. BigRox11

BigRox11 Member

I think the coach doesn't have many choices right now but to play Yao long minutes. When Scolar gets better, he should take more munites away from Yao.

4. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

funny how Yao playing more minutes has always been a goal he has had and one that we fans wanted as well. Now he has gotten there and we worry about injuries. Just can't please everybody i guess.

5. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

I think Adelman played yao way too much against San Antonio. Yao should only play around 35 minutes per game. Over a season, the minutes add up, and Yao will be tired by the Playoffs.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yao's game is not based on athleticism. i think his career will be relatively long, though his dominant prime might be for just another 3-4 yrs. but b/c of hte position he plays in, he'll still be a top center for a long time. no worries.

7. Barkley

Barkley Member

The same as Shaq, agree.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We're in the midst of a 12-game killer stretch, so I say throw all caution to the wind if it keeps our record as is, and we can play Yao 20 minutes a game on those 6-game road trips through the East. Don't worry about those things like PT and stamina because they won't last the whole year.

9. LeoT

LeoT Member

I think it's too early to talk about Yao's avg time.

10. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

But some of his dumb turnovers late in the game could be because he was worn out.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

True, and I am noticing an increase in breaks...I feel giving more rest breaks enables more minutes anyhow...

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

LOL you guys are acting like he is playing 42 minutes a game or something.

He is still playing less minutes than Hakeem did during a 7 year stretch.

13. yaomacx

yaomacx Member

It's not all about being in the high post or low post during a ballgame, it's partly about strength and stamina conditioning too... it might have helped that he works out all the time.

Let's say that the increase in minutes will lead to potential wear and tear as the season continues, do you think they (the entire coaching staff) wouldn't talk about it?

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think the way a player is used have a lot to do with how much energy he uses. Another point is this is the start of the season, everyone is fresh, I think RA will reduce his minutes toward the second half of the season.

15. yaomacx

yaomacx Member

The only question about him having increased minutes is how will it affect his shoulder which I hear is scheduled for surgery (not during the season or post season I hope)

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

his minutes will decrease when scola is more stable. As there is no one that can want to have chuck and deke playing at the same time for extended minutes. It will kill our offense. And deke will only play when there is a low post player that he could match up with.

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I see it as a good thing not as an issue.