1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Scola and Yi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abcdef, Nov 7, 2007.

1. howe070523

howe070523 Member

dream on.
    You think Bucks owner is that stupid to let Yi A.K.A cash cow just walk away?

2. JustWannaChill

Still older than uncle Oden. :p

3. howe070523

howe070523 Member

[​IMG]
    Who he play for? :D

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Dude, Yao average 2.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg his first 5 games and looked like a big stiff who didn't belong to the NBA. What's your point?

If Yi is on the Rockets, I'd be extremely surprised if he can hit the 5 ppg plateau. Trying to compare the Bucks' offensive firepower with the Rockets' is simply laughable.

I'm not trying to downplay Yi's success in his first 5 games. They're very good for a foreign rookie, I grant you. And I'm pleasantly surprised. But to compare players with stats for ~100 minutes played is just plain useless from a statistical standpoint.

5. howe070523

howe070523 Member

If Yi's on the Rockets...He'll be sitting on the floor with Francis.
    :D

6. abcdef

abcdef Member

I said that Yao kept working, got his chance when Cato got injured or something, and then took off. I am hoping Scola does the same because he can shore up our PF situation and relieve the need to play Yao 40 mpg.

Yi has been mostly scoring on open jumpers created by penetration of others. Don't you think that with Yao and McGrady attracting attention they would find him for a significant number of points each game? It's not like they iso him up to let him score, although I hope this will grow to be part of his game, along with some post game.

7. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I sort of agreed with everything you said about Scola.

But I beg to differ on what you said about Yi poor and lost in defense.

What's so big deal about being posterized by Bargnani?

If you have watched the game between Milwaukee Bucks versus the Toronto Raptors, Yi and Andrew Bogut did great defense shutting down Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani, and limit the 20/10 Chris Bosh to score only 1 point from the free throw line, 0/4 FG% and 2 rebounds, and the 11/4 Andrea Bargnani to only 5 points/3 rebounds.

Of course, the double-digit lead right after 1Q by the Milwaukee Bucks might have caused the Raptors to throw in the towel early, and rested both Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani (both of them played less than 20 minutes in the game with the Bucks) to reserve them for their back-to-back with Orlando Magic, but then you had an idea of the kind of defense Yi and Bogut put on versus Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani.

8. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

They are different type of players, you can't compare them, period.

As a Rocketfan, I love Scola.

As a fellow chinaman, I love Yi, and I hope them both to do good. Thou I think Yi has more potential.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

*Sighs* Why do I even bother. I still don't see why someone cannot understand the concept of insignificant sample size. I honestly don't think this is a hard concept to understand, even for people who are not math inclined. But I'm apparently wrong. So I'll stop making this argument. If you think a player gets 39 points and 19 rebounds in 103 minutes is a much superior player to someone scores 17 points and 23 rebounds in 90 minutes... Well, there's no arguing with you.

Now, about how much Yi scores. Yi gets 9 FGA per game. That would be ranked 4th on the Rockets, which is more FGA than Battier, Bonzi, Alston, and *double* the FGA by Luis Scola, the player who actually do get the looks from people concentrating on Yao and T-Mac. Again, if you REALLY believe deep in your heart that Yi should be getting the fourth most FGA on this Rockets team... Well, there's no arguing with you.

10. abcdef

abcdef Member

Reading comprehension is apparently not your strong point.

I was pointing out the irony in the fact that a supposedly raw and underdeveloped prospect with great physical tools is severely outplaying a supposedly polished vet who is NBA ready in their first NBA games. Did I say Yi is better than Scola? At this point it sure looks like it but too early to tell. Doesn't change the fact that Yi should be playing crappy like Scola, and Scola should be a solid contributor like Yi.

In my mind this casts doubts about how good Scola can be. Right now I'm not sure he can contribute this season what Juwan contributed last season.

11. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Yi based on potential is suppose to be a all-star are close to. Scola is suppose to be a role player, like a Kirk Rambis, etc. Do the dirty work, knock down the open shot. Not a good comparision. You will be all on Scola jock strap in another 10 games mark my words.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

My comprehension is fine. Your comparison is stupid and makes no sense.

I take it after the Spurs game you're thinking, "Isn't it ironic that some fat, lazy slob who couldn't even crack the rotation last year is severely outplaying the supposed best player in the league the first week? I wonder if T-Mac really is even a starter? I mean, can he really be more than just that guy who provide some energy off the bench?"

Hey, why don't you make a thread on that? Because it would hold the same validity as this one.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

An important point. That's an intimidating group to start your rookie year against!

14. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

There should be no comparison beween Yi and Scola. Yi is a lottery pick. Scola, a second rounder. Yi is a very atheltic 7foot. Scola is 6'9 and not particularly atheletic for his size. Yi is a starter, over CV. Scola could not beat Chuck Hayes. Both are rookies, both are foreigners, but that's where the comparisons should end.

15. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

what are you talking about? Yi was never raw. he always had skills, much more than Scola. He can hit the 18 fter consistenly and he can bang it in the post. he's also much more athletic.

16. battousai

battousai Member

comparing Yi to Scola is not fair. Scola has more experience and competitive games than Yi.

Yi is the future and Scola is now. Yi is more athletic and scola is more skill around the basket.

17. ekim

ekim Member

Scola is a proven player that had success against tough competitions such as the world tournaments where Argentina dominated.

Yi hasn't proven anything yet... His 5 NBA starts were above average at best. Also he is a lottery pick because he brings a lot of money for the team so you can't just go by the pick and say Yi > Scola.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It doesn't matter, Rockets cann't get Yi anyway (unless he decide to come here after his rookie contract to join Yao to form the true great wall :D ).

19. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

Yi is not a lottery pick just for the money. Where do you get that? He's a lottery pick because he's got talent.

Yi has not proven anything yet except that he's established himself as a STARTER over CV, plays good defense, drawn positive reviews from the media, coaches, fans and fellow teammates. Aside from that, you're right. ( sarcasm )

20. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

As the #1 Yao Hater on this board, you've no credibility at all.