1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you do when a player on a sports video game is too good?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zac D, Dec 8, 2001.

?

What do you do when a computer player on a video game is destroying you?

1. Yell at the player that he is NOT THAT GOOD

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Restart the game and be the team with that player

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Concentrate all your resources on stopping that player

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Live with it

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I'll use Tecmo Super Bowl as an example, since all of you seem to enjoy that game. Let's say you're NOT moestavern19 and therefore you are playing AGAINST the Raiders. Bo Jackson is slashing through your defense like a hot knife through something soft and sliceable. Do you get frustrated with the unrealism of a running back getting 57 yards per carry? Do you concentrate your defense entirely on Jackson, and thereby allow Marcus Allen to tear you to shreds? Do you just let him score and try to match the Raiders touchdown for touchdown, maybe trying an onside kick or two? Or do you give up and restart the game as Los Angeles? I'm just curious.

Have you ever noticed how a lot of sport video games have certain players that are pretty much unstoppable? Virtually every Tecmo Super Bowl team has a great running back. On World Cup '98, just about every team has one striker who can beat your defense and score on you quite often.

Or maybe I just suck at these things.

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Since I am the master of NBA Jam Tournament Edition for the SNES (and ironically, the only one on this BBS who cares), I was in the same situation as Moe with the Raiders: NBA Jam TE came out after the Rockets had won the 1994 championship. With Dream being the MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, and the Finals MVP that year (not to mention the Rockets were the reigning champs), he is just brutally unstoppable in that game. Me being from Houston and a Rockets and Hakeem fan, I was always Dream, and NO ONE could come anywhere near stopping me. (actually, I could beat anyone with any team, but I just humiliated people when I was Hakeem).

People would play as Hakeem, and I'd either also be Hakeem w/ the Rockets or another team. I'd put everything I had into stopping my opponent. Just like Micheal whats-his-name said, "Defense wins championships." That holds true for me in sports games.

I didn't really know how to vote, since I'd live with it by concentrating my resources to stop them.

#2 Lynus302, Dec 8, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2001
  3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bo Jackson was unstopable on that game , My problem is I threw the Ball to much , Also When you get to the playoffs they some how know every play you call , I guess It was the early 90's . On NBA Jam for Sega Genesis I had a record of 147-1 . Its like on NBA Live 2000 , If you play against the Lakers , Glen Rice will hit 75% of his threes and there is nothing you can do about it .

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Restart the game and be the team with that player

LOL! In NBA Live 2002, I would go against he Magic and Tmac would dunk on every drive. I got mad and restarted the game, now Im the magic.

Thats the way to do it.

:D

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Where the reorder the roster option?

I'll create an "injury".

6. haven

haven Member

Heh... when I read this topic, I thougth "someone else does know how I feel!" Can't remember a specific case, but this does seem to happen in every game.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Well I've never had that problem with ol' Bo cuz you just use Charles Haley and shut him down. Of course if anybody gets in charles' way and blocks him, then Bo is gone for 80 yards. So basically I just pick a running play everytime and pray and it usually works. I love the challenge of utterly shutting down the raiders' running game to like 30 yards.

Since I play very few other games I've never really dealt with the unstoppable guy problem too much.

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Did I read that right? I don't think that I have ever played a NBA sports video game with any team other than the Rockets.

"Get A Rope!" :D

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Too good?

I just wish I could find a sports game where the computer actually offered a challenge.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I admit it! I yell at my tv! Stupid Jordan is the best player in NBA Street! Carter, Kobe and everyone other guard can be knocked down by a powerful enough 4 or 5. But not the mighty 39 yr old Jordan! :rolleyes: He is also like the best three point shooter, when this year he is like 2-18 from the three point land.

Of course I can still kick his ass, but its disgusting how unbelievably good they made him.

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

Haha, World Cup 98. I love that game. Ill be England, and my strategy consists of passing until Shearer gets the ball, then juke juke juke then score. EVERY TIME!

I usually dont have that problem Zac, Since I usually create myself in most games. ;)