1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a problem with being a Francis Fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SMUSMU, Nov 5, 2007.

1. SMUSMU

SMUSMU Member

First and foremost we are ALL Rockets fans. We are all not going to agree on the same thing, but this is our team. So I ask the question, "Is it wrong to be a Steve Francis fan?" From 1999-2004 he was all we had. It was not until we traded him, and rightfully so, that he became a hated man in Houston.T-Mac made us forget how important Steve was to the team. T-Mac is one of the 5 best players in the league and he would have done that to just about any other player in the league. Until we drafted Yao, who was skilled but very raw, there was no reason to show up to the Compaq Center except for Steve. So the true Rockets fans know true this is. He was not the most efficent player in the league, but he was OUR GUY.

Steve had to many accomplishments to name in this thread, but one that always sticks out in my mind is Yao vs Shaq I. We all know the hype surronding the game and Yao had a good start( The first 4 points of the game and a block on Shaq). All of the hype overshadowed Steve scoring 44 points and leading us to an OT victory. I doubt anybody would have complained that night if we cheered "WE WANT STEVE". I really think we would have made the playoffs that year had Rudy not had to step down because of medical reasons.

Now the newbie Rocket fans know Steve for when Van Gundy was hired. Well in Van Gundys offense he needs an efficent PG, we all know Steve is not that. He did not fit in Van Gundys system, so we had no option but to trade him. I am a HUGE Francis fan, but even I would have made the T-Mac trade. It was a no-brainer. T-Mac made a lot of people Rockets fans, just because they were T-Mac fans.

I say all of this to say, do not jump on the Steve Francis fans. We just want him to know that he is still appreciated in the city of Houston. He did not show up in shape, he thought just because of his name he would be a starter. When I heard him say it on the radio this summer, I knew it was going to be trouble. Then when I saw him in the first preseason game, I immediatley noticed he had put on a few pounds. He needs to work and get back in the rotation. Should he get Mike James spot, of course not. But at the very least he should get the minutes Luther Head is playing. It is not much but it would give him the oppurtunity to get in game shape. It is not like Luther is lighting it up so far. And we all can sit here and debate if he should be starting in front of Skip. I personally think he should, but that is for another day.

I love this site, I love this forum, I just wanted to state my case, and where else could I do this. Only on CLUTCHFANS. Thanks Clutch for making this possible. BTW, WE WANT STEVE!!! WE WANT STEVE!!!!! WE WANT STEVE!!!!

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I'm a big fan of Clyde and the Dream. Would I want to let him play now? NOO. becuse they're old and they would suck. This is the dame thing Steve did in the preseason, he sucked. yes he's hardworker and entertaining. I more entertain when I see WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSss.

3. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

good thread anyways.

4. slmonky

slmonky Member

Very good post, It's exactly what I will say!

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

There is no problem with being a Francis fan. There is a problem when irrational Francis fandom becomes more important than the Rockets winning games. Most of us *are* Steve Francis fans and are happy to see him in Houston. It's just that those of us who still have our heads screwed on straight realize that for this team to win games, the only place for Francis right now is on the far end on the bench or dressed up in a cheerleader costume.

Now when he actually figures out the offense, learns how to move without the ball, drops a few pounds and starts playing some semblance of real defense, then perhaps he can start taking Luther Head's minutes. (Say what you want about Luther's lack of statistical production so far, but at least he doesn't look like a deer in headlights when he gets out on the court and actually plays some D). Until that happens, this "we want Steve" stuff is just childish and irrational.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

winning is just slightly more important than watching stevie get some minutes because of PAST success... and i'm use the word "success" loosely considering we didn't accomplish anything when stevie was initially here.

but i do love it how everyone's favorite players tend to be those that aren't playing.... the grass is always greener.

7. A00man

A00man Member

I love Steve too and would like to see him get playing time, but at the same time you gotta believe Adelman knows what kind of shape Steve is in a lot better than us.

Rewarding a lazy player with minutes is not the way to go. Francis even said something along the likes of "I haven't ran in the last 9 days except on the tread-mill, but I will be 1000% ready if my name is called during a game." Come on now Steve. If you aren't even showing the effort, then don't expect Adelman to give you any rewards.

Francis will play when he shows that he can play. Not a minute before then. Just be patient. I think he'll come around soon enough.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

How do you get that he isn't putting in the effort from this statement?

9. MarcStein2222

MarcStein2222 Member

Once Steve gets in shape and starts over Reefer, we will be unstoppable

10. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Great thread. You took the words right out of my mouth. On the bright side Steve is getting to save his legs for now, he will be needed in the playoffs because we have a lot of disapperaing act players on this team during that time and his personality type isn't one of them.

11. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Steve's a good guy, and we all want him to have a successful comeback. Plus, he is better than "Rafert" - that's how Murph pronounces his name on his radio show.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I remember back when I was in college there was a guy on the U of Nevada, Reno team who was the star of the local high school. He wasn't really any good in college, but the crowd loved him because he was the one local kid. Every time the team is up by a significant margin with 5 minutes or so to go, the crowd chants his name. When the coach puts him in, the crowd goes wild. They go even wilder when he makes a shot.

I feel Steve is sort of being treated like that kid from Reno-- he is the popular hometown kid who is out of the rotation and everyone wants to have him play.

The difference, however, is that Steve is actually a useful player (when he picks up the team concept better) unlike the Reno kid and has achieved a lot more in the pros than that kid did in college.

Thus, I'm wondering if Steve is a little embarassed by the chant. I mean, he's Steve Francis. He should be able to earn his damn minutes and not be some sort of fan favorite/victory cigar.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If your love to one person hurts other people, that is a selfish love.

Some SOFs don't care other players' feeling, and that is very bad thing.

BTW, SF3 is paid 3 millions dollars by Rockts and more than ten millions by Blazers. He should keep himself in shape. I think actually it is himself to disappoint his fans.

14. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

Excellent post! Well said! There is not only nothing wrong with being a Steve Francis fan, there is something wrong with you as a Rocket fan if you are not welcoming him back and wanting him to succeed and do well!!! Francis had his boneheaded moments in his previouis stint with us, but overall he was a great and tireless contributor to whatever success we did have back then. I think Adelman should allow him some spot minutes and will lose something with the fans if he refuses to play him.

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Perfect post by SMUSMU. It's exactly what I'd say if I had started the topic. He was all we had back then, he and cat, and he was the man. He'll always be a favorite player of mine. I wish he'd put in some more effort and find his way into the rotation; that would be too awesome.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Thanks. Couldn't have said it better if I took all afternoon to respond. If Francis deserves minutes or gets an opportunity from injury or foul trouble, we all hope he's a success. Until then, the rational view would be that Steve is/was a low risk option with a high return potential. It's time...just not yet Steve's time.

17. H-town_playa2k2

He made me a Rox fan when MJ left the league. Ive been a die hard fan since 1998 . I hated the trade, but I got over it. People worship T-Mac like he has actually done something better than Steve did for the Rox. We still havent past the first round. Lets give Steve some min so he can torch the mavs tonight :)

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Great job Dr Phil. Well said.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why do people think playing Steve equates to a loss? For all u guys know, it could just as likely lead to larger margins of victory

20. Vivid

Vivid Member

All I'm saying is...it's nice to have someone like Steve Francis for us clutchfans to obsess about getting playing time over than it has been for scrubs like V-span. I mean that just shows our quality of depth...the longshot we are rooting for might actually be descent!!!

-V