1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros contact Schilling

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Nov 1, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's a definite longshot, considering the Astros weren't even in the 13 teams Schilling listed as possibilities on his blog. But they're inquiring, and I think spending $13 million on him for one season makes a lot more sense than Hunter or Rowand.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2290460&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Schilling confirmed as much on his blog:

http://38pitches.com/

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Eh... Schilling is collapsing fast. His fastballs dont even hit 90 mph anymore. He's a big game pitcher but he has no upside and plenty of downside so investing that much money seems like a poor move. I think he'll just keep getting worse. There's a reason why the BoSox don't want him anymore

3. The Cat

He's kept his ERA under 4 for two years in the AL East, even lacking a 90 mph fastball. The Sox question whether he can hold up in that division (see Clemens, Roger), but in the NL Central, a pitcher with his command of the strike zone and intelligence of opposing hitters can succeed. It's why Greg Maddux is still a good pitcher in San Diego, even though he struggles to get past the mid 80s.

The Astros desperately need a stopgap while they hope for Patton and Albers to develop into their supposed potential. Schilling would give them that and address their primary need, and I'm all for it. That said, considering the 'Stros weren't on his initial list, this seems very doubtful.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I just don't understand how he thinks Atlanta or Milwaukee or St. Louis would give him a better chance at reaching the postseason than the Astros...it's not like those teams are especially good.

5. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Weren't there hard feelings surrounding his first tenure and/or departure here? Maybe he holds a grudge.

6. Major

Major Member

Atlanta: 84 wins - 5 games out of playoffs
    Milwaukee: 83 wins - 2 games out of playoffs
    St. Louis: 78 wins - 7 games out of playoffs

Houston: 73 wins - 12 games out of playoffs

What part doesn't make sense?

7. The Cat

I agree with the first two. But St. Louis doesn't make sense to me either. For one, they were absurdly lucky this season, based on expected W/L. They should've been worse than the Astros.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

If any team has comparably bad young talent to the Astros, it's the Cardinals... and their one young talent in the majors (Ankiel) has the steroid cloud hanging over him. They won't get anything from Carpenter... have a budget even smaller than Houston's... etc.

I know it's just one team, but I found their inclusion odd as well.

8. Major

Major Member

True - but I'm not sure that Schilling has really put that much analysis into it. I'd suspect he just knows St. Louis won the WS a year ago and has Pujols, etc. Plus, Carpenter was out all season long, so that was a big factor in their struggles this year, though like you said, they have a lot holes to deal with too.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Atlanta has a history of success, I get that...but they have to contend with New York (who seemed to have a down year) and Philly. They might be a good team, but they are no means anywhere close to a sure thing. Same with Milwaukee. Sure they have the talent, but look at what happened this season...they caved. And St. Louis, well they had just as many problems as the Astros this past season, but they just happened to be managed a little better. I mean if Schilling wanted to go to a contender, which seems to be part of his criteria, Atlanta, Mil at St. Louis should not be on his list, imo.

10. The Cat

Keep in mind Carpenter is likely out for 2008 too.

That said, you're probably right -- I'm sure it was a fairly topical analysis, especially given that it was posted two days after they won the World Series. :)

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

no schilling, i'm tired of old pitchers
    woody williams was a horrible signing
    if we go old free agent glavine would be a more durable pitcher

12. The Cat

I'm fine with younger pitchers too, but what younger pitchers with any kind of ability are available?

Also, Woody Williams had a combined ERA of around 4 the prior two seasons in extremely pitcher-friendly Petco Park and the NL West. Curt Schilling as a combined ERA of around 3.9 the past two seasons in extremely hitter-friendly Fenway Park and the tough AL East. In addition, he's logged 355 innings the last two seasons... he's had his injuries, but nothing too bad.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i have no idea what next season holds for this team, so i don't find it surprising that schilling, who barely knows the team, would leave us off his list. the call was probably to tell him to keep an eye out on what we do this offseason before writing us off.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Milwaukee and Atlanta have very good offenses and just need more pitching in order to get into the playoffs. The Cardinals, like the Brewers play in a division where no team is really above the others. The Astros need more than just Schilling to make it to the playoffs, IMO. I'm not sure the Cardinals would have enough either, but I don't like counting out Pujols.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

I think Schilling was pretty pissed when the Astros traded him to the Phillies. I don't know if he's gotten over it. I would say the only way they get him is if they offer the most money or close to the most.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm not sure we should be spending that kind of money on him...I may be in the minority, but there has got to be a younger, servicable starting pithcer out there, besides Schill...

17. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

You can wish as hard as you want. The free-agent pitcher list is putrid.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

We keep signing OLD f*ck*ng washed up players. Drayton would NEVER come through with some fresh upcoming talent. Don't scouts do their jobs anymore...?

What is it... the coaching? What makes our players do well with other teams!?!?!?

Luis Gonzalez is one of the many I can think of right now.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Every team can recount the players that got away.

If any of you thought Luis Gonzalez was going to become what he became, then you're a freaking genius. He gave absolutely no sign he was capable of that.

20. kevwun

kevwun Member

The astros weren't the first team to give up on Schilling. He didn't turn things around until the pitching coach in Philly got his head put on straight.