1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When is Francis gonna take Head's minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Nov 1, 2007.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Francis = last year's Bonzi

2. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Francis WHO?

3. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Francis should take minutes from Rafer "Bricker" Alston, hopefully soon. I think MJ should start if he continues to play well like today.

4. Franco7

Franco7 Member

LOL @ the Francis haters.

"I know what I'll do! I'll post Francis Who? in giant letters cuz I know html, that'll show'em!"

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Home opener. Duh!

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

Francis needs to get in shape and Luther Head is not going to lose minutes. He was a very servicable 3 point shooter in the league last year. The guy that will be beaten out is Rafer Alston if he keeps throwing up bricks like he has the first two games.

7. krockets

krockets Member

You are surely a Luther hater. I remember several months ago, you said Luther is not an NBA caliber player and his NBA career will end in two years. Now the Rox has picked up the Luther's option, how do you feel about that?... ;)

8. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Veterens that get playing time usually don't play garbage time. If we do blow someone out, Francis will be in the game as well as Head. There is no way Francis will take minutes from Head. From what I've seen from Francis his entire career, the criticisms about him not being effective without the ball are 100 % correct. If you weren't so blinded by Francis love, you would daydreaming about a player that will never fit in this system. You can criticize the "head lovers" all you want, but there's a big difference. HEAD DOESN'T HURT HIS TEAM LIKE FRANCIS. Head played a total of 14 minutes and didn't hurt his team. Last night he had 3 assists in 7 minutes.
    "Every time the ball goes to him, the offensive flow stops. He his hesitant..."
    Are you talking about Francis?
    "He struggles passing the ball, too. He had some success playing in a slow-pased, half court offense during his first 2 years, but he just clearly doesn't have the ability to play within this dynamic offense. It doesn't suit his limited game."
    Last night he had 3 assists in 7 minutes. And are you blind? He clearly is better on the break than in a half court system. Save your criticism for when it applies, because thus far none of those are true. You need to get the cobwebs out of your eyes.

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Has it been 2 years yet?

Luther will be riding the bench somewhere in the NBA by then or end up overseas, at some point, in order to make more money and get playing time.

Not because he is a bad guy. I don't hate him. I just see the reality that he lacks the size and skill set to really make an impact in this league. Adelman's system will end up relegating Head to less and less playing time and, ultimately, I believe that Francis, Snyder or Brooks will come in and take those minutes.

I don't think Novak will get much play either since he has similar issues to Head. He is a great shooter that offers little else nor the potential to ever overcome his weaknesses enough to play regular minutes.

I think Landry is still a project and will develop more in the D League.

Question: Do you think Head would be part of the Spurs or Mavs or Pistons or Jazz or Suns rotation if they even wanted him on their roster in the first place?

Sure, those are some of the best teams in the league but isn't that the group we want to be in and where most credible rankings have placed us over the last few seasons?

10. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

Makes as much sense as continued post trying to wish SF of the pine.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Yes, this is his 3rd season, with the option on his 4th taken up by Rox.

and Yes, i do see Head in Pistons, jazz and suns rotation. But not at spurs and mavs thou.

12. BrooksBall

There isn't enough space on this server to list all the contracts and/or extensions that NBA organizations have regretted later on down the line.

You could form a solid list just looking at the Rockets over the last decade...

Remember the money we spent on Mo Taylor and Kelvin Cato. Where are they now?

The Point: An extension today often enough leads to a disappointment tomorrow.

13. BrooksBall

Somebody once believed in Moochie Norris and decided to pay him money to play professional basketball...

14. Seven

He's picture perfect for the suns. \
    And to brooksball, I can't believe how blind you are. If Casey Jacobsen can make an Nba roster, Luther Head can. A player in the rotation for a deep rockets team will not be forced to go overseas. Luther is thought of fairly highly by Most NBA teams. I don't think he deserved his spot of the sophmore team, but he made it in anyways.

15. Seven

Kelvin Cato and Mo Taylor are bad examples because they are overpaid NBA players. They never took their game overseas.
    I guess Deng and Wade will be dissapointments.

16. Ashes

Ashes Member

Is it just me, or did I not see Luther blow by his man and make a nice layup in the lane? Not to mention he played some solid defense when he was in. And he did get less than 10 minutes. I don't see any of your points being valid as of now. Luther is our best 3P shooter, he moves around the floor well, spreads the defense, and Adelman is fond of him. He deserves to be playing this role until we see otherwise. The offense hasn't slowed when he gets the ball, and he hasn't been hesitant with it. He does what he is supposed to do, such as give it to T-Mac or Yao, but tonight we saw him drive well to the basket.

Luther has his spot on the team, whereas Francis is apparently out of shape and not in Adelman's favor. That's on Francis to fix.

17. BrooksBall

How many times did Casey Jacobsen fail before earning a spot this season on a lower-tier team? He is barely seeing the court.

And, where has he been recently?
    Answer: Europe

Now, take a look at his career stats, starting with total minutes played in the NBA.

At least Jacobsen has good height for a shooting guard.

Jacobsen is perfect example of what happens to one-dimensional players. They end up struggling to find a niche in the NBA and end up riding the bench or playing overseas.

Head = Jacobsen

Thanks for providing the example.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

hopefully soon :)

19. BrooksBall

Read my comment, again.

I never said all extensions turn out to be failures.

I will be more clear for you.

The point I was making was than an extension is not proof, by any means, that Luther will be playing in a rotation, or even in the NBA, 2 years from now.

Of course, many contracts and extensions turn out to be good decisions.

My point was that many of them turn out to be the opposite and that the Rockets' decision to exercise their very inexpensive option on Head is no evidence that he will be successful in this league.

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I thought Luther had his option picked up, not a contract extension?