1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Steve Means No Heart!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by edlove75, Oct 27, 2007.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dude you are pretty pathetic. Did Francis make out with your mom or sister?
    Feels good to be right? Its the preseason. Snyder before Francis?

Stop drinking the haterade.

2. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Are you cuttino? Take the blinders off and realize francis is a washed up scrub now.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I am a Rockets fan jack ass.

Whatever is good for the Rockets, I'm fine with it. If that means playing Francis, so be it. If that means putting Francis on the inactive list, so be it.

I'm not going to hate on Francis for no reason. You can tell Francis is a washed up scrub how exactly? By a few preseason games?

Some people in life are just not happy if they are not putting someone else down.

4. Trip

Trip Member

What exactly was so bad about it? It's not like we signed him on a max deal. If he doesn't play well or Adelman doesn't want to play him, bench him or cut him. What would we have lost?

5. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Steve does not fit the system!

His game is the exact OPPOSITE of RA's offense.(Dribbling, little movement, stagnant, stopping the ball). He is not a good shooter, the only way he can score is by penetrating on isolation and that does not work with the movement based offense adelman has.

I would say steve's role is only when we need some spark off the bench, when nothing is working.

6. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

I wouldn't go as far as to call him a scrub, but I think he most definately on the decline. His low BB IQ and need to dribble certainly make him out of place in RA system. However, he may have helped teams like the Clippers. We haven't heard the complaints yet so I have to give him props on maturity We'll see how he does over time. He always was a low risk/high reward. I won't call him out because its just preseason but so far SF is far from the 3rd option.

I will say I never understood people who thought SF was the move of the off-season over Scola. To this day, people still talk about backing up Scola when it is clear he is a different kind of PF than Duncan and a perfect match for this system.

7. Locke

Locke Member

At least the "start Francis" chants are dying out.

Steve will find his place. It may take some time. He's not a scrub but he's by no means the player he was in the Rudy days. There's a reason the Knicks and Trailblazers dumped him. It wasnt bc they had too much heart.

He'll be a good spark off the bench and good injury insurance.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He won't beat out Luther even if his shot comes back. He was supposed to make Rafer expendable but in the end he was Morey's worst move of the summer.

Don't get me wrong I love Stevie but the problem with Stevie is he only knows how to be the Franchise and he probably could still be the Franchise or at least part B of some Franchise. He still can create and get his shot off like only a few in the league. But the Rockets don't need that from him. They have Yao and Tmac and Bonzi and James... all of who can score at will.

The Irony is they need him to be more like Luther. To spot up and hit J's and they would settle if he could drive and dish to the open guy but he is not even as good as Vspan at that. What Stevie is best at is driving to the basket and making highlight reel shots. He's always been great at that and he still is but those or not high percentage shots and the rest of the team stands around while he is trying to create magic.

He will never be an opportunity scorer like Luther or even as good a passer as Rafer. So what's his role on this team. I mean even when he truly understands the system and if he decides to just take on the role they ask of him will he be able to steal minutes from James Rafer or Luther. I think not. The only role I see for him is insurance. If Tmac goes down he can start with Yao. He does seem to understand the importance of getting the ball to Yao.

I hope I am wrong. I wanted so much for him to come in and blow Rafer. Rafer is fool's gold to me and will disappoint when it counts most. Man I can't believe we brought in all these points and Rafer is the best of the group. That sucks! Okay I digress... after all is said and done Stevie is still the Franchise to me even if it has to be with a desperate franchise.

#28 Old Man Rock, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

that is right. Can't believe people don't understand this.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I know right. People keep saying it's Morey's worst move but how has it effected us negatively? It's a good move because you added depth and signed him extremely cheap.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Steve Novak?

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bob Sura has more heart than Francis. Perhaps we should get him out on the floor so his heart can bring us victories!!!

13. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

yeah, aftere 10 games on the bench, he'll surely find a way to shine.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

And for the record, I like the Francis deal. You never know what can happen with injuries and it is nice to have a guy who you can bring off the bench and act as instant offense when all else fails. I just don't like him as a cog in the machine that is the Rockets' offense.

So my current nicknames from Francis are:

Stevie "Wonder what happen to my career"
    Garbage Time Assassin
    Plan B

15. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

I'm saying that not having Francis in the rotation basically means he no more than a garbage time player for this team which is a waste of talent. Mike James is a clone of Steve Francis with a better jumper and worse pentration game, Rafer can't get a ball in a hoop even if it was the size of Toyota Center. I'm saying that it's a waste to keep a talent like Steve, who could have been a starter somewhere else, to not be in the rotation somehow. I can't see how Synder could get playing time against SA and Steve didn't get any minutes at all. If Steve doesn't get some playing time, it's going to be like Bonzi last year with JVG. He wants to win, but he wants to help win, not sit on the bench.

16. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

I would respectfully disagree. Any move that provides quality depth, especially considering the past history of injuries to our stars, is a quality move IMHO. I still think Rafer is expendable, and would be moved if Morey could find a taker that is not trying to dump their trash on us (which is actually a testament to his ability and not a reflection of his offseason indiscretions).

Steve has more to offer than just highlight reel stuff. He is still an excellent rebounding guard, his assists per 48 are just slightly lower than Rafers at near 7.8 / 48, although his turnovers do negate both of the above to some extent. I believe they do need his driving skills to force the opposing team to not sit on the perimeter and challenge us to beat them with the remainder of our no driving players (excluding James and T-Mac of course, who is now more reluctant to do so with the bad back). I don't think he needs to start, but he will be a valuable piece on the second unit when T-Mac is out.

As for not being able to pass like Rafer, or spot up shoot like Luther, neither of them can rebound or create like SF, who BTW does out shoot Rafer with a higher FG %, and only slightly lower for is career at 3%. To me, Rafer and Luther are one dimensional, while SF has multiple facets that can be utilized. He is not the SF of four years ago due to the knee, but he is still a valuable piece in my opinion.

And Rafer is not the best of the bunch, just most acclimated with the starting unit. All we have seen so far is limited play in the preseason, and if the preseason really made the player, then Kelvin Cato would be in the hall of fame, right?

I think we will not know the full impact, or lack thereof if you are correct, until mid-season at the earliest. We have a new coach, new offensive system, and essentially 4 new rotation players (including Wells with his new attitude), so I believe it will take some time to see the full impact of all the offseason moves.

17. KKick

KKick Member

Whatever happens, Francis is still better than alston or mike james. He has to play.

18. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Your right. Signing a former three time all star for peanuts that fills a need on squad for a second unit player that can create his own shot is atrocious.

GIT RIDDY OF MURRAY!!!!

19. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Hispanic?

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    you my friend are the most biased fool i have ever read. Snyder has lower b-ball iq than francis........in fact does he even have b-ball iq. What is with your little man-crush over rafer that you can't see that the guy has a very strong possibility of helping the team out when he learns the offence? Be biased sure.....but don't be stupid