1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Oct 23, 2007.

?

If you were head coach, who would you starting PG be?

1. Rafer Alston

262 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Mike James

70 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Steve Francis

85 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This is YOUR opinion, not what you think RA is going to do. Discuss.

I'm going to give my vote to MJ. He looks more comfortable out there and I like how he finishes a lot more than Rafer.

2. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

so far viewing the rockets game tonight the rockets suck with rafer not running the offense!

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I have no clue how anyone is really playing, outside of what we see in the games. Rafer has looked pretty good, I must admit, but I have to wonder if he's just being showcased for a trade, since we really did bring in James, Brooks and Francis to shore up the position. So far, it seems like Mike has gotten the most going when he's in there. But, who knows.

I would think that Rafer shows the best right now, since he's had the most experience with the current starting team, and did come in in great shape and attitude. But, unless Stevie really has gotten old before his time, I expect him to eventually take over the position, once he gets the new offense down and comfortable with his teamates. I think Mike has been expected to be instant offense off the bench at both guard positions as a 6th man.

4. firezh

firezh Member

I choose RA.

But he's still in danger of being traded.
    Mike Harris sat out for 2 games and has gone.
    Rafer has also missed 2 games...

5. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Didn't someone have a signiture saying how ridiculous it was for another poster to say that Rafer would be that starting point guard on opening night? Well...

6. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

After watching the game tonight against Memphis, I'm not really sure. The offense didn't seem to move very smoothly with Mike starting, but it could be a coincidence that they played poorly too, guys do have off nights. As much as I like Steve, he sure looks lost out there unless he dominates the ball. It looks like he doesn't know what to do without the ball and didn't really seem to be into it tonight for the most part. Maybe because it's pre-season, I don't know, they did really good the other night when Mike started the second half.

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

Look at everyone jumping on the rafer bandwagon cmon i still want him traded i voted for MJ

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rafer is coming off of a 1-6 2 assist performance - definitely Rafer.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Mike James.

10. gta

gta Member

My answer has been the same for the past several months. Alston is the starting PG and he will start. I will be more than happy to see somebody else starts over Alston if we can actually get a better PG

11. compacer

compacer Member

Rafer will start and mike and Stevie will be like bobby jackson, that spark off the bench.

12. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

If the preseason thus far is an accurate indicator, Rafer is the obvious choice.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

From what I've seen in this preseason, not to mention all of last year, our offense is at its best with Rafer on the court. And I think Rafer does fine on defense as well.

I'd stick with Alston. James seems like he'd work nicely off the bench, in a Bobby Jackson type role. And I don't consider Francis to even be a serious option. He does one thing well, and that's finish on his drives. He can't guard quicker PGs, and he apparently has lost all sense of defensive discipline that JVG drilled into him since he's been gone.

#13 durvasa, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  14. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Agreed

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Sorry, the starting unit didn't quite seem the same without Rafer. And it wasn't like Mike James was playing badly -- he actually played much better than everyone else on the starting five. It's just ... they weren't clicking. Even in the last game when Rafer's shot was off, we still came out clicking and firing well. And Mike James was great.

Give me my old starting five. You know, the guys who led the NBA in +/- last year. We're going to need that chemistry to start off games on the right foot, especially early in the season while the team is trying to come together and faces a brutal November schedule.

I'm a big fan of Mike James -- off the bench. His offensive spark is just what this team needs in 2nd quarters. He and Bonzi are our two primary reserve offensive weapons. But for the starting unit, I'll take those guys from last year.

16. devin23

devin23 Member

If anyone else seen Mike James when he was in 2004-2005 rockets would know how he plays. James would be an asset as a scorer off the bench, and is clutch enough where he should take an open shoot in the last few minutes of a close 4th quarter game. I wouldn't mind james and head in the last few minutes in a close 4th quarter game, but when playing with our 2 stars, especially in the start, should be rafer's role.

17. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

For the Rocket's sake, I hope you are wrong. With Francis and possibly Mike James being busts, and Alston once again at the helm, I don't forsee this team going very far. Hopefully this is just preseason nonsense and Alston will be put in his place during the regular season.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, you are rooting for a Rockets player who has been good so far, according to coaches and teammates, to stink it up?

Great.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Mike isn't a bust just because he's coming off the bench. I think he'd be great in that role.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow, it's not even the regular season and Francis and James are already busts? Neither has even had a bad preseason.

I think with all of the weapons we have now Rafer will end up starting. He shouldn't get near as many minutes as last year, and his shooting should be under control now that he's not the only other guy on the team that can create his own shot. He really is a good fit for the motion offense though; low turnovers, good passer, quick. As long as he can finish around the basket when given the opportunites and stay away from the 3's, he'll be okay.