1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier and Scole: The Charge-taking Dynamic Duo...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Oct 23, 2007.

1. bobododo

bobododo Member

Does malone get offensive charge calls on him often?

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

gonna give some love for chuck hayes.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have seen a few people refer to battier and chuck as floppers, and i cant disagree more. There is a HUGE difference between a flopper and someone taking solid charges. And for the most part, when chuck and battier take a charge...they draw some solid contact and dont tend to overexaggerate as much as some "floppers"

4. JSub

JSub Member

[​IMG]

This here is a flop. Any questions?

5. Risto

Risto Member

I like the nik bill gave them "The Charge Brothers"

6. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

Flopping = the true indicator of a championship team

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that was essentially what I was responding to, it wasnt as much directed at who I quoted as it was to the general populace (or at least the part of it that calls chuck and shane floppers)

It just seems so simplistic to taint a good basketball play by equating it to flopping.

If I honestly thought my guys were flopping, I wouldnt sanction it...its dirty and unnecessary. Make the play the right way or dont make it at all.

8. Mad Max

Mad Max Member

Are you kidding? :confused: That was a terrible nick name! No I don't have one at the moment I can think of, but not the Charge Brothers!

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

refs call charging not based on how hard a defender falls to ground so even your exaggeration will not be considered. all that refs concern are whether you have position and whether you are in restrict area behind the arc.

well, flopping is epecially for one on one defense. the defender normally acts way more than normal when there is a little bit contact between him and the player he defends. that will draw refs attention and refs will call the offense player using too much force.

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Luis Scola is a flopper. this is fact. he's from Europe, and ALL European players flop. Anderson Varejao, Manu Ginobili...Scola learned well. i know i'd hate Scola just as much as I'd hate Varejao's if he was on another team, but since he's on our team i'll turn a blind's eye ;)

11. mos-def

mos-def Member

flopping usually involves initiating contact and then overacting.
    taking a charge is initiating contact and the falling on the floor.

both make up for limited athletic ability and being late on a defensive assignment. both are bad for basketball. i think it is incredibly lame to create a post talking about how AWSOME it is that your team can fall down so well.

how about players who keep the opposing player in front of them and drive them into the baseline where your help defense can trap them and create a turnover or get a steal? how about having some balls and hammering the guy who comes flying through your paint and making him think twice before he does it again?

taking a charge and flopping are manipulations of the game of basketball. if you get hit, then its a foul-if a guy tries to run you down when you are standing still, outside the circle, its a charge.

but trying to get those calls in order to make up for bad defense is lame and nothing to be proud of. its like iso basketball. ya, it works, but makes the game of basketball stagnant and boring.
    my 2ยข.

12. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

He's not from Europe, and neither are any of the players you mentioned, but I agree with everything else you said. :D

13. scola

scola Member

The players you mentioned are South americans... ;)

Anyway, Scola exaggerates when drawing contact, pretty often.

14. kikiscafe

kikiscafe Member

I wonder if he was thinking: "humm.. should I start getting up now.. or wait another 5 seconds..or.. maybe i should make some slight painfull movement with my hands..."

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

if you're on the Rockets yah take charges. any other team, you're flopping.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

:eek: no love for hayes?

scola, hayes, and battier playing at the same time. :eek: damn, i'd make a special zone for those 3 mofos, against bad shooting teams. hayes in left block, scola in right block, and battier around free throw line.

i'd like to beileve you, cause i also want reed to make team over novak or butler, but you look like a big fan of reed, and might be biased. :p if true, damn. hayes, scola, battier, and reed. :D

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Scola Brother!

18. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

BTW, the title wasn't meant as a nickname, it's just descriptive...

19. vizier

vizier Member

isn't taking a charge is more valuable than a steal because it not only gives u a possession but also causes a offensive foul for the other team?

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

More Chuck Hayes love from me.