1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Simms' defining moment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

That may not be his fault. He told his Mommy to get him a rental car.

He also told his Daddy not to get him a customized Escalade. If his Daddy was not Phil the NCAA would be investigating Texas.

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

one thing bears mentioning before we get too carried away with anti-mack. . .

I am no ou fan, but bob stoops is the best coach in america.

there's not a coach in the land who would hold up in a comparison to what bob stoops has done, so there's no use questioning why mack brown hasn't won a national championship as quickly as stoops has. no one else has either.

plus, I think mack brown is in a tougher situation than bob stoops is. some of you may think that sounds ludicrous, but I think the Texas job poses many, many problems that the ou job doesn't. chief and foremost among those problems being that any time Texas is even remotely capable, the media will overhype them and we, the Longhorn fans, will lap it up. that's just how it is here in The Great State.

nobody really expected anything from Stoops at ou, and I think that has helped him tremendously.

I can live without UT having the best coach in america. I just can't live without having the best team in america. and I don't think you have to have the best coach in america to have the best team in america. [just look at the '95 cowboys!]

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The list thing is about proving his doubters wrong, I don't see anything wrong with that. The fact taht he couldn't prove Mike Stoops wrong this game doesn't make him cocky. Cocky is the UH players who badmouth him or Mike Leach who questions his ability.

About the limo thing, his first words were "Mom, there is no way I'm gonna get into that limo. That would be making the wrong impression."

I know people who know Chris, he's anything but cocky. Neither is Major, btw. The entire tone and attitude of the UT team is shaped by Mack Brown, and if you've ever heard him speak to the media, he usually gives credit to the opposing team before his own.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i havent personally met chris, but if you interpret the list as cocky, you need your head checked

the very good players always have their own motivational tools and this is his, if anything his quotes in the chronicle and his list tell me he cares and has confidence in his ability

So the only good game he had was vs. A&M, wait a minute, if not for 3 drops by our super talented receivers vs Oregon he wouldve won us that game, and so far this season he minimized his mistakes and played well esp vs tech. Now, I applaud mack for sticking with him, we arent going through a qb controversy again and we need to prepare for our tough schedule next yr so we can be championship contenders. That was the right decision, imho. As for last week, he had 2 ints that mattered/were his fault and overall looked comfortable in the pocket and made good throws. Whether or not the rest of the country wants to admit it, it was 7-3 the entire game, and OUs td was a fluke option drive. Overall, i think Simms wasnt perfect but he did well but i want greg davis to start dictating the defensive gameplans against us with our immense offensive talent, no one in the country should stop us.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If Mack only get's outcoached by Stoops that wouldn't be too bad. But you forgot about him getting his butt coached off against Snyder, Bellocci (sp?, the Oregon guy), Willingham, RC (2 years ago), etc. We usually lose the games against teams with comparable talent, and lose to some with very motivated inferior talent when the coaches don't get us prepared.

I agree UT is a tough place to coach, but it should be. Look at the jobs natural exposure (huge far reaching alumi), great football tradition (Heismans & national titles won), financial support within the AD, being located in a great semi-urban college town with sunbelt weather, being in an elite tier state educational institution, and being in the center of great football state for recruiting with no peer right now, there is no reason a string of top 5 finishes like what Bowden has plus knocking on the door a 2-3 national titles every 10 years should be anything other than the goal.

That is the expectation. And if you want to look at good coach that couldn't quite reach them, look a Fred Akers. If Mack's success doesn't get past that he will not be able to keep the job as long as he wants it either. The thing is, I don't think he is that far off. If he could hire some hardworking, smart and <i> intutive </i> cordinators to develop the gameplan and do the playcalls (Mack gets out of their way on gameday), I think they would have all the pieces they need.

6. chievous minniefield

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been preaching the gospel of greg davis' dismissal since saturday.

I did see an encouraging sign in one of the quotes from brown's weekly monday press luncheon.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said a couple of interesting things:

1) we told our offense we're pleased with their effort, but we're not pleased with their production

this is good in that he's not afraid to let them feel a little of the heat. they should know that what they got on saturday is never going to get them where we all want them to go.

and

2) we're never going to win all the games until we can run the ball in games like saturday.

this is GREAT. that quote squarely puts pressure on greg davis to get the running game going.

baby steps. . .

7. Smokey

[​IMG]

I saw this over at Horn Fans :D

Awww poor Chris!

Some Horns are already spinning it as good publicity. Where can I get some of that weed?

#87 Smokey, Oct 10, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2001
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably the same Horns who are spinning that Chris Simms is a better QB than Major.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

It's good to know that if I'm not here there's always RM95 to make fun of Simms.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Okay, time for my $.02. They are both two QB's with different skills. Both are gifted. Major was more suited to play last Saturday though. Let's end this thread with three words:

FIRE GREG DAVIS!!!!

11. Smokey

UT realists (or as the blind followers call us "Simms Haters") taking over!

vs top 10 - 0 tds 8 ints

Mack said that he would pull players who did not produce. Then he added Chris is the starting QB. Final.

If sucking gets you playing time then we all should suit up for the Horns.

12. Smokey

Oops. I didn't see your post baqui.

FIRE GREG DAVIS

13. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Sloan isn't mad about it. He just is the type of person that is greatful for whatever he gets. He is very, very humble.

14. Smokey

Bringing this back to the top.

Simms vs. Top 10: 0 tds and 11 int

Not a clutch performer. I think this thread sums it all up. We should all become psychics.

Hmmm...Mack didn't come to the aid of his QB at the postgame conference. He did not say Simms would start the bowl game, only that the position would be evaluated. Spin away Mack!

#94 Smokey, Dec 2, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

0 TD's to 11 INT's????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

16. chievous minniefield

0 tds and 11 ints is one of the single most conclusive statistics I've ever seen. damn.

can someone please please please point me to where I could see all of the comments from the postgame news conference? I desperately want to see brown's, simms', etc. reaction to last night.

I think we should all just sit back and watch the spin master do what the spin master does best. . .

17. Smokey

I got that quote out of the Chronicle.

Poor Major. He took the blame for the loss. Said if we could have scored in the red zone, we would have one. Never mentioned the hole we were put into.

I watched some of the conference on ESPNews. Some bastid asked Major about next year...what a loser.

If we could petition the NCAA for one more year of eligibility. I honestly feel we can win it all with Major. Three years ago, we weren't stacked to play in Lincoln and Manhattan. Now we can go toe to toe with the best. We just need a leader. Major's our leader.