1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torre rejects Yankees!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Cat, Oct 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

$30 million for one year, I could deal with the NY media and Senilebrenner for another year...but it's all good for Joe, he told Yankees to go to h8!!. The organization is falling back to mid 80s form.

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i think they were talking about A-rod there not torre.

Arod might opt out of his 25m/y deal for a 30+m/y contract.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

don't let the door hit you in the a$$

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yanks better get girardi.

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

This is too cool. Everyone was rooting for Torre to do this. Funny how far less Yankee hatred extended to Torre than other members of the organization.

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Girardi is better than Mattingly. La Russa can't handle NY media.

We also need a better pitching coach and a better Ace.

7. Major

Major Member

Yeah - this seems like a great solution for both sides. Yankees get to say "hey, we tried" to the fans who really wanted him back. At the same time, Torre gets to go on his own terms without being let go or what not.

8. been_exed

been_exed Member

WE? .

9. Major

Major Member

Eh - what did they really lose? They were paying their manager more than twice the next highest paid manager. They have more talent than anyone in baseball. They can get any number of managers to take them to the playoffs and lose in the first round. Unless he's bringing something more than that, what is the benefit of having Torre?

Beyond that, I think this starts the toppling of the Yankees, with both Posada and Rivera maybe leaving. If they go, A-Rod and Pettitte might also move on. Over the long-term, I think that's actually good for the Yankees, but it will be interesting to see what's left for next season.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Steinbrenner: Nice to meet you.

George: Well, I wish I could say the same. But I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past twenty years you have caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress, as we have watched you take our beloved Yankees and reduce them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego!

:)

11. Georock

Georock Member

People can say whatever about Yankees payroll helped Torre managing because he always had good players, but turns out the Yankees hadn't reached the World Series since 1981 before Torre was hired as a manager in 1996.
    And I agree in the late 80's the Yankees didn't have a good team, but they certainly had a good one in the early 90's. So, what happened? Why didn't they win until Torre arrived?

12. Georock

Georock Member

That being said, I think it was good for both sides to part ways. The Yankees can start "restocking" (I don't think rebuilding is part of Steinbreiner dictionary) and Torre can sit and ponder his options and get a fresh start.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought Torre's time was up a couple of years ago. I've strongly disliked the Yankees almost forever and I got to the point of wanting them to keep Torre because he clearly had lost effectiveness. His calm demeanor and ability to handle pressure and threats from Steinbrenner were his strong points. As a manager and motivator, Torre was nothing special.

Where his leaving may hurt the Yankees is in recruiting Rivera and Posada back. If those two guys leave (along with A-Rod), the Yanks may not even be a contender next season.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Cue the "Teh Astros shud hire Joe Tore!!1!11" thread in 3... 2... 1...