1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick the top 8 players in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Oct 13, 2007.

Tags:
?

Who will be the top 8 in the rotation (at the start of the year)

1. Yao Ming

474 vote(s)
    98.5%
  2. Tracy McGrady

469 vote(s)
    97.5%
  3. Shane Battier

465 vote(s)
    96.7%
  4. Luis Scola

471 vote(s)
    97.9%
  5. Chuck Hayes

341 vote(s)
    70.9%
  6. Bonzi Wells

443 vote(s)
    92.1%
  7. Rafer Alston

401 vote(s)
    83.4%
  8. Mike James

392 vote(s)
    81.5%
  9. Steve Francis

330 vote(s)
    68.6%
  10. Jackie Butler or Mutombo

61 vote(s)
    12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. allforone

allforone Member

so we are really keeping steve, rafer and mike at the same time ? :eek:

2. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I don't think their mpg means as much to them as their ppg does. ppg = $$, not mpg. There are a lot guys not playing in the league anymore that had high mgp averages. We can run a lot of teams into the ground with this 9 player rotation. Add Head and make it 10. Just keep running and scoring quickly. If they run and score faster they can keep their ppg up higher where they want them. So who would care what their mpg average is for the season if they are all scoring more in a running game. :D

Yao Ming
    Tracy McGrady
    Shane Battier
    Luis Scola
    Chuck Hayes
    Bonzi Wells
    Rafer Alston
    Mike James
    Steve
    Head/Harris

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

For the folks that are thinking a 10 man rotation, The vast majority of coaches in the NBA play 8-9 players, tops. From adelman's history and from everything i've heard and read, we're looking at 8 or 8.5 (the .5 meaning one player that gets very few minutes) max. One big reason why? Adelman views players as interchangable parts.

The distinction btwn 4 and 5 is nil, thus Scola eats up many, if not all of Mutumbo/Butler's minutes at the backup 5. Likewise, not much distinction between the 2 and 3 spots, so Tmac/Battier/Bonzi will eat up the vast majority of those minutes.

It appears that most folks feel our top 7 are a given:

Yao/Scola/Battier/Tmac/Alston
    James/Bonzi

From there, some people think it will be a scrum for minutes among:
    Hayes, Francis, Mutumbo and Head.

If, as I suspect, the plan is to use Scola as Backup C most of the time, that bodes very well for Hayes. (Mutumbo/Butler will be used when you have a true low post threat at C, rare enough).

Between Francis and Head, I think it will be close. i don't think either will command many minutes, at least not at the start of the season because Adelman is looking for movement without the ball, passing ability/chemistry combos with othe rplayers, and defense.

With these criteria in mind, both Alston and James are superior to Francis and Head. Alston has good chemistry with the starting unit, handles it well, and is not tissue on defense. James is far and away the best perimeter defender among the small guards, shoots it well, and doesn't seem to dominate the ball and plays within the offense.

Francis seems somewhat lost out there, perhaps understandably so b/c it's early with this new offense. Likewise, he needs time to develop chemistry with this team. His defense is roughly the same as Alston/Head. I think Bonzi is going to be a key player with the 2nd team, and whoever develops more chemistry with him will get the time (btwn francis and Head).

4. airmanz

airmanz Member

It is kinda obvious that we will use a 9 players rotation unless some trades are made in the future.

Yao
    T-mac
    Scola
    Hayes
    Battier
    Bonzi
    Rafer
    MJ
    SF3

Rafer, MJ and SF3 are equally important in some sense. Really no need to pick 2 out of 3 among them.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds reasonable, if Head is out of the rotation.

So, that's the central dilemma for this team now: Francis, Alston, James, and Head are each viable players who at least deserves some sort of minutes, but somebody will have to get left off the court completely given that all 4 of them are 6'2'' or so. Whoever that happens to be will be very unhappy. Or you can try and squeez one more in, but at the cost of already modest minutes for the other 3 guys (you can try and reduce the minute of some of the bigger people, but that means you'll be playing undersized A LOT).

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

9 rotation players:

Yao
    Tmac
    francis
    alston
    scola
    battier
    hayes
    mutombo
    james or head

7. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

A lot of you folks are under estimating Steve Francis. He is going to be a vital part of the team and will most probably start. He is not here to be a cheer leader on the bench. His ability to drive to the basket and rebounding will be a big plus. With TMac doing some of the ball handling, SF's turn overs should be down. Watch out, he is going to surprise one and all. Francis and Wells will be the guys on a mission and still have a lot of ammunition.

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i actually pick james and SF3, with alston the man out. I like this team better.

Yao, scola, hayes,battier, tmac, bonzi, SF3 and james.

9. FeedReed

FeedReed Member

Yao, T-Mac, MJ, Battier, Rafer, Dikembe, Head, Reed, Hayes

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Coach Adelman said he had 10 in his rotation already, I think they are

Yao/Deke
    Scola/Hayes
    Battier
    Tmac/Wells
    Rafer/MJ/SF3

Luther will be in too. I hope we can keep Synder and Harris. I dont care about which of the rest will make the team.

11. Noely1984

Noely1984 Member

I'd rather vote Yao,Stevie,Cat,Calvin,Mo,Eddie,Moochie and Rudy...

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

James Francis
    T-Mac Head/Bonzi
    Battier (T-Mac)
    Scola Hayes
    Yao (Scola)

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

couldn't have said it better myself. that is exactly how it stands right now.

T-Mac
    Yao
    Scola
    Rafer
    Battier
    James
    Bonzi

these guys are 100% key rotation players. assuming scola will play backup C, add Hayes in there as well. that's 8 guys. i doubt Adelman will have a 10-man rotation so the last spot should be between Francis and Head. i think the cirumstances of the game will impact this decision. if we need 3 point shooting we'll put Head in. if James is off, we put Francis in. however, Head offers something the other guards don't, consistent 3 point shooting. James plays the combo guard just as well if not better than Francis, so we're not at a loss if James is bringing his game.

i also think Head has the biggest potential to improve his value with the team. if he can take care of the ball and play SMART, then he'll be a huge weapon for us.

14. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

to save space and have more options you should have just automatically included yao and tmac. there is no way they will not be in the rotation