1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick the top 8 players in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Oct 13, 2007.

Tags:
?

Who will be the top 8 in the rotation (at the start of the year)

1. Yao Ming

474 vote(s)
    98.5%
  2. Tracy McGrady

469 vote(s)
    97.5%
  3. Shane Battier

465 vote(s)
    96.7%
  4. Luis Scola

471 vote(s)
    97.9%
  5. Chuck Hayes

341 vote(s)
    70.9%
  6. Bonzi Wells

443 vote(s)
    92.1%
  7. Rafer Alston

401 vote(s)
    83.4%
  8. Mike James

392 vote(s)
    81.5%
  9. Steve Francis

330 vote(s)
    68.6%
  10. Jackie Butler or Mutombo

61 vote(s)
    12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sextuple Double

9 man rotation we're running. Up to 11 guys are gonna see consistent game time every night, but minutes will vary.

We're starting the same 5 from last year. Mike James and Steve Francis can come in based on matchups and whether we go small ball. Bonzi obviously gets a piece of the pie. Mutombo will give Yao his spot minutes. Scola and Hayes will most likely share even minutes at PF. Luther Head will be the one to take the hardest drop from last year. Expect him to see up to 10min/game.

Snyder, Novak, and Butler are bench warmers and will be coming in during blowouts. The rest will be seeing Vspan time.

2. Bigdaddy210121

:cool: IMO
    Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    T-Mac
    Alston
    Francis
    James
    Wells
    Head
    Hayes/Mutombo (whatever is a better match up or neither :eek:)

Scola can play C a little when they really want to run and put Battier at PF(if the other PF is slow of not important)

3. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

We should save Synder for next year when Bonzi leaves us for a bigger contract.

4. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

It looks like a lot people don't think we need a backup center. :eek:

5. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

this thread is worthless without luther head

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think (I know it is early) that Scola has the size, strength and smarts to handle 80% of the Centers in the league. I also think sliding him over to backup C will open up more minutes at PF for Hayes and possibly Battier and even Bonzi. It could have a trickle down effect that will ultimately help ease the logjam at the guard positions. If our SFs (Bonzi, Battier) are getting some time at PF it will open up minutes at SF for Tmac and thus free a little bit of time at guard.

So we have:

Yao: 34 at C = 34 minutes
    Scola: 18 at PF + 10 at C = 28 minutes
    Hayes: 20 at PF = 20 minutes
    Battier: 20 at SF + 6 at PF = 26 minutes
    Bonzi: 20 at SF + 4 at PF = 24 minutes
    Tmac: 24 at SG + 8 at SF = 32 minutes
    Francis: 16 at SG + 6 at PG = 22 minutes
    James: 24 at PG = 24 minutes
    Alston = 20 at PG = 20 minutes
    Head: 6 at SG + 4 at PG =10 minutes

Of course, this is just an idea and I know the numbers don't add up to 48minutes at all positions but it gives you an idea of how sliding Scola up to C will free minutes at PF which frees minutes at SF which ultimately frees up minutes at both G positions without anybody playing a position that they cannot handle (at least for a few minutes a night).

Guys like Deke and Harris (I hope) will get minutes now and again but will not play regularly.

Can you imagine playing against Phoenix or GS with:

Scola
    Bonzi
    Tmac
    Franchise
    James

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just ban those ppl that didn't select TMac or Yao, unless they screwed up or something and voted for zero players.

And isn't it inspiring to see that no one in this system will have to play more than 34 minutes a game barring injuries? Think about how fresh we'll be in the playoffs, regardless of how many wins we get.

8. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Pg: ShaneBattier1 / ShaneBattier6
    Sg: ShaneBattier2 / ShaneBattier6
    Sf: ShaneBattier3 / ShaneBattier7
    Pf: ShaneBattier4 / ShaneBattier8
    C: ShaneBattier5 / ShaneBattier8

9. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

Francis(30min)/James(18min)
    Tmac(18min)/Head(16min)/Wells(14min)
    Battier(16min)/Tmac(18min)/Wells(14min)
    Scola(20min)/Hayes(12min)/Battier(16min)
    Yao(33min)/Scola(8min)/Hayes(7min)

This gives James/Head/Battier as shooters to go with Yao and Tmac. Francis/James/Wells will be slashers. We will get many more free throws and some fouls on opponents big guys, which will indirectly help Yao and Scola. Reounding of Francis/Wells will be additional bonus. If Scola/Hayes can contain the bigger PF and Francis/Tmac/Yao can cut down thier turnovers, this line up will give up a lot of headache to the opponents.

If Alston remains with the team on the opening night, he will steal Head's min. Mutombo may get some playing time at the expense of Hayes, whenever required.

This is the team for now. However things might change by trade deadline and a combination of Alston/Head/James/Hayes and some expiring contracts may be exchaged for a good/rugged 4/5.
    Go Rockets. Just Rock. Cheers.

10. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I like what Rick Adelman did to the rotation during the game against Greece. He started out with Yao Scola Battier James (in place of Tmac) and Rafer. And like what JVG did, he rested Yao briefly well before the 1st quarter end...like with 3 or 4 mins left....so he inserted Chuck and move Scola the center position..this is a good move because it keeps the team competitive. So the lineup is Scola Chuck Battier James (in place of Tmac) and Rafer. Then later before the 1st quarter end (1min left or so), he inserted Yao back in again and take Scola out and put in Bonzi Francis and Rafer (still in because of his ball handling skills). I like these rotations because it keeps the team staying competitive.

11. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

8 out of 9 choices?????

doesn't make cents.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Head Motombo Snyder and Brook will probably not getting any minute at all (based on what i observe last night). I just don't see them helping the team much...as oppose to playing the other players. Head is not good attacking the hoop...he's not strong enough...he can only shoot. Snyder has a better chance than Head actually just because he has the size to attack the basket...although i don't like his IQ. Brook show me nothing during the Greece game...he can't shoot and i thought he's a good shooter...i mean he even miss free throw. The only thing i am impressed with is his speed...probably the quickest player on the roster along with Rafer.

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I am impressed with Harris more than any other rookies so far....beside Scola of course. Harris look and move like Josh Howard out there....

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I agree with Dave78. Scola is our backup C with Deke coming of the bench for key matchups.

Most teams employ either a 7ft scrub(Collins, Diop), a 7ft over-the-hill center(Ratliff), a PF masquerading as an undersized center(Diaw, Stromile Swift).

Dallas-Desagna Diop
    Phoenix-Sean Marks/Diaw(6'8)
    San Antonio-Elson
    Utah-Jarron Collins
    Lakers-Mihm/Kwame Brown
    Nuggets-Steven Hunter
    Grizzlies-Stromile Swift
    Kings-Mikki Moore
    Seattle-Kurt Thomas
    Minnesota-Ratliff
    Portland-LaFrentz/Przybilla?
    New Orleans-Hilton Armstrong?

Now for the eastern teams, it gets even shorter for their backup centers at 6'9". Well, even their starting centers are less than 7 ft for most of the teams. It's gets worse as the season goes on, and the starting C's get injured.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Poor Stevie, only ahead of Butler/Mutombo. :(

(As of posting):

[​IMG]

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I'm not even sure he'd be ahead of Luther if he was in the poll. Most likely but not definitely...

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Kobe's fans! ;)

18. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

This is what I expect...

[​IMG]

19. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

hmm good thread..i went with

Yao Ming
    Tracy McGrady
    Shane Battier
    Luis Scola
    Chuck Hayes
    Bonzi Wells
    Rafer Alston
    Mike James
    Steve

20. holyman

holyman Member

it's because, yao and tmac is automatic, they shouldn't even be in the poll, battier should be left out too