1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What I learned over the Thanksgiving holiday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I learned a lot of crap that I didnt know about my family and about Dallas, TX....

1. My dad listens to Kenny G. I had to personally take him outside and beat his ass for a while on that one.

2. My grandmother can't maneuver those go-cart things at the mall. She knocked over a candle display at Foley's. Hell I got on the thing and couldn't drive it either.

3. Dallas is THE most PRETENTIOUS city in the Southwest hands down. I cant tell you how many Lexus', BMW. Jaguar's, etc etc I saw....

4. Dallas has THE hottest chicks in Texas hands down. Go anywhere: the mall, a restaurant, the gas station.... they are everywhere.....

5. Dallas has THE most gold diggers in the Southwest hands down. So basically if you dont have $$$, #4 means nothing to you (especially my broke ass).

6. The Dallas Mavericks are damn good. I watched them beat the bag out of the Suns. Nash, Finley, and Nowitzki know how to get it done, and they actually PASS the ball to the open shooter. Imagine that...

And finally:

7. Why the hell do people eat corn?? In one end......out the other......

Feel free to express the joy you experienced over Thanksgiving.....

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Drew, you are one funny mo-fo!

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I've found that one doesn't have to have money. He just has to appear as if he has money. Those are actually two different things.

It's all about appearances. Image over substance.

I've found fame works, too (and not even a lot of fame. Cheesy, local fame can work).

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

About pretentious with the cars - seems like everyone and their dog has a nice ride in Houston too. My brother and I (he currently lives in Chicago) were talking about it and he had a theory.

The cost of living in Texas is too low. Housing is relatively cheap - a standard new 5 bedroom house out in Katy would cost $500K, so people have too much disposable income. Therefore, they spend it on cars (and trucks). Go to cities like Chicago, LA, Calgary, Edmonton (just my personal experience) and you'll see a lot more beaters and many fewer nice cars.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Hey Drew....
    how 'bout that Dallas zoning too?
    I mean, you gotta drive through miles and miles of neighborhood just to get to a convenience store.

ahh... Dallas,
    I hate it.

rH

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was in Dallas about a month ago while my girlfriend was interviewing for a job. I was walking around North Park mall, dressed in a short sleeve button down, jeans, and nice shoes. They all looked at me with the question "who let the riff-raff in"?

If the job didn't pay so much, I really wouldn't want her to get it.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but have you ever noticed that Dallas is actually a pretty city while Houston, with a Kwik Mart and Auto repair shop on every corner, is fuglier than the (hypothetical) love child of Gheorge Muresan and Lisa Malosky. I love Houston, but its lack of zoning sucks.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Holy cow, that is EXACTLY what I thought about Dallas after my first visit there this summer . . . the women are SO HOT -- during the hour of 7 to 8 AM, before the interview, I saw more hot women than I had in 4 months of Houston . . .

Dallas is rich, and the people HAVE to show it off . . . :) and they show it off by having hot wives :) <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21346&highlight=Dallas">Apparently, most of us Houstonians feel the same way</a>.

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Me and a buddy of mine went down to "Lower Greenville" and were almost kicked out of every bar for not adhering to the assumed dress requirements of slacks and a guido shirt that made you look like you had been doing steriods. I felt really out of place.

All I have to say is: God Bless Austin. Hell you can walk in the nicest restaurant in town with flip flops and a t-shirt and will be welcomed with open arms...... Its a beautiful thing!!!!

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The women aren't too bad here in Austin either.

11. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

"It's not what you have, it's what people think you have."

-Joseph Patrick Kennedy

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I learned over Thanksgiving that I might as well quit watching football. It's not likely to get any better than:

* Texas 21, Texas A&M 7.

* Colorado 168, Nebraska 0.

* Ohio State 26, Michigan 20.

* Oklahoma State 16, Oklahoma sucks.

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member