1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer on 610 now (10/01 9:30 am)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

I agree. No way Brooks' gonna start these season. I'm not sayin' he's weak player but with all these player it would be stupid to put a rookie to your startin' five. He can be very effective player but the same thing as with Landry - he can be scared, that's only his 1st year, do not expect big things from him. He has time to improve.

I won't be suprised if James will start...

2. redao

redao Member

I would take dribbling for 23 seconds and making plays in the last second over dribbling for 10 seconds and creating nothing out of it.

3. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Awesome...more compliments for Brooks. Does anyone else see a little of Calvin Murphy in Brooks? Both are small, but play bigger than their size, and both can score in bunches...only Calvin is more charismatic.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Are they? Not really much action around the league right now. They get an offer or two here and there but nothing has caught their eye yet.

They have clearly proven they aren't willing to take garbage back for him so we'll just have to see how it pans out. Whoever earns the spot in camp and preseason is who I want starting. I don't care about last season, who was brought in here cheap or traded for, who's a rookie I want the guys who runs our team the best to start. Whomever that is. Nobody knows until the season starts.

5. Rockets Dynasty

That Doleac and cash deal wasn't garbage IMO. They could have gotten an expiring contract and got out of the last two years of Rafer's deal.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That illustrates my point. They passed on that deal because they feel Rafer's value is higher.

Remember, even though this is the most exciting offseason we've had, there are still concerns. Steve's knee from last season and on to this summer. Who knows if it will hold up. We know James can be a force off the bench or possibly even a starter but can he play a role or will he revert to his old ways. Brooks is a rookie and we want to win now. Very rarely does a rookie pg see enormous success in his first season. Plus, I'd rather him be brought along at 5-10 minutes a night. Nothing crazy. We really won't know who fits what role until they are finished with camp and preseason. James could easily be a sparkplug off the bench. He could be starting. Will Steve be healthy? Does Skip's style fit more into what Adelman wants on offense to start the game? We have no idea. Just speculation

7. IMissJVG

IMissJVG Rookie

I know how he can start. Have the Texans sign him to a contract. He would be the starting running back right now.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really like Rafer as a person, Solid PG, but a bench PG....

9. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I think that if he really makes a real positive impact for the team while he's out on the floor, then he likely will get a lot of minutes.

For the Rockets, if things go better when he's out on the floor like what we saw during summer league, then he might start.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Not as much as it amazes me how people are so delusional and don't see how much Rafer stunk it up last year.

11. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

Huh? Are you serious? What kind of play do you make at the last second? Oh yeah the "chuck up a prayer play", which, iirc, was the one that created nothing.

Seriously the Rafer hate here is too much...

12. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I don't hate Rafer but you have to admit the chunck up a prayer play (3pt shot) was what we did a lot of last year. You can say it was JVG's system that failed to get a better shot or you can say Rafer can't create a shot on his own. I think it was partially both. If Rafer is still around we will see him in a new system and we will have a better idea if he could be more successful in Adelman's system. I think he's a goner it's just a matter of time.